Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (mini gloat) Here come da JUDGE!

Whoo! Momma got a reprieve on the 10-week waiting list for my Taurus
Judge. It came in extra-early.

It's pretty sweet. All the clerks at the shop allowed how "as soon as
the rush was over" they wanted one for themselves.

No doubt, it is a fistful, and I'm not thrilled with how my arthritic
middle knuckle engages the back of the trigger guard. (Like, I'd worry
about a bruised knuckle in a fire-fight...)

But it shoots good. I was cleaning up 7s at 20 yards, and my daughter
was filling a 12" hole at 10, without ever having shot a wheel gun
before.

The slug pattern is a little loose, due to the very light rifling, but
even with #8 shot, the shot pattern at 10 yards is less than a yard wide.

It even fits my carry pocket. It's only about a half-inch longer than my
Ruger 357mag.

You told me to check back when I got it. I like it. (now.. who's got
decent cowboy loads in LC I can trust AND afford?)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 12:27*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

The Taurus Judge vs. The Box O' Truth:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Good testing on this great site.

dennis
in nca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger fired this volley in news:956ddb75-0368-4c65-a608-
:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I think I would agree completely with everything that guy said except for
one thing, and that's the utility of a shot round for personal defense.

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area. If
nothing else, it's a "just scream some till I run away" shot.

The benefit is not that you'll permanently disable him, but that you
cannot miss without trying. With #7-1/2s at 10 yards, the pellets were
about 2-1/2" apart, on average. There's a high likelihood you'll get at
least one of them in his eye.

I keep four Gold Dot flying ashtrays and one .410 with #7 in the wheel,
set up so the slugs go first. I've got four tries to drop the guy, then
one sure bet to distract him for a few seconds. That feels like a nice
complement to me. (besides, I'm gonna drop him & save the shot for the
no-legged snakes G)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 02:19:04 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:21:53 -0700 (PDT), rigger wrote:

On May 6, 1:16*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

Good idea. I understand, in addition to snakes, it's
also good for rats and skunks. ;-)

dennis
in nca

That means it will work on politicians.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

No gunner. BS absorbs energy like mad and politicians are known to be major
BS carriers. What is required for politicians is a fast moving rat with a
bag of votes tied around his neck. Professional courtesy as well as a
strong need will require that the politician follows the rat, or am I being
redundant?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 10:35:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, silly. Perps -wrapped- in tires, of course.

--
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 20:19:10 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

--
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-- William Ellery Channing

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

Arresting a fleeing felon is lawful. Just what means are lawful to do so
is indeed a difficult question. But my curiousity is whether bird shot
will in fact deflate a tire, because tactically, tires are next to
impossible to hit at all with bullets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bird won't do anything to a tire.

Shoot for the gas tank. Whoops, I was shooting at the tag - so it
would fall off and give data - and tag the car for highway patrol no-tag.

But the tank exploded with the bandits... Rats, I have to go the range some
more this month... :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

Arresting a fleeing felon is lawful. Just what means are lawful to do so
is indeed a difficult question. But my curiousity is whether bird shot
will in fact deflate a tire, because tactically, tires are next to
impossible to hit at all with bullets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Larry Jaques writes:

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

Arresting a fleeing felon is lawful. Just what means are lawful to do so
is indeed a difficult question. But my curiousity is whether bird shot
will in fact deflate a tire, because tactically, tires are next to
impossible to hit at all with bullets.

A minor point - he's not a felon until convicted...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

Gunner

I remember a story about a bloke who's tire ran away. Would a .410
have helped?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 20:19:10 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

If you shoot up a car, you will likely go to jail.

Though in Texasm it may different

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

If you shoot up a car, you will likely go to jail.

Though in Texasm it may different

Gunner

Used to be OK in South Carolina. Around 10 years ago the cops thanked
the guy for shooting the tire out because it made it easy to find the
perps. They were on the side of the road changing out the tire.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch fired this volley in
:

Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

That brings up an interesting point. As liberal as the new Florida
Castle Doctrine is, one specific point always rises to the top; If the
perp is eluding, escaping, or avoiding the conflict, you have no right to
shoot.

Unless you're LEO, shooting a departing perp or his vehicle is a felony.
You're only authorized deadly force to _prevent_ a crime.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 23:12:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Larry Jaques writes:

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

Arresting a fleeing felon is lawful. Just what means are lawful to do so
is indeed a difficult question. But my curiousity is whether bird shot
will in fact deflate a tire, because tactically, tires are next to
impossible to hit at all with bullets.

True. I'd bet that it's considerably easier to do via the sidewall
than the thick, steel-belted tread.

--
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
-- William Ellery Channing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

If you shoot up a car, you will likely go to jail.

Though in Texasm it may different

Gunner

Used to be OK in South Carolina. Around 10 years ago the cops thanked
the guy for shooting the tire out because it made it easy to find the
perps. They were on the side of the road changing out the tire.
Karl

The Gold Standard for using deadly force, stated differently but
essentially the same in most states is:

"You must have reasonable cause to believe, that your life or the life
of another is in immediate danger, before you can employ deadly force"

Lighting up a fleeing goblin does not meet that criteria.

Now that being said..there are circumstances where it could be
considered legal, for example if the goblin was on the way to shoot up
a shopping mall, etc etc. And shooting arsonists while running away
is often considered "stopping a danger to society". But by and large,
you will likely be put on trial for shooting at that moving vehicle.
Hopefully, your peers will see your actions as reasonable.

Bird shot will not blow out a tire at any distance, and only up close
and aimed at the sidewall will it put a leak in it.

If using a rifle, even a low richoette shot may or may not penetrate
the tread, depending on the bullet. Hitting a gas tank would be
easier, though hardly likely to cause an explosion. A leak and MAYBE a
fire trail if there is an ignition source.

You are far better served by shooting into the back of the trunk at
the most perpendicular surface you can find, preferably in line with
the driver, though after punching sheetmetal and supports, bullet
travel will be in all directions once it enters the trunk and then
into the vehicle. Heavy bullets at high velocities may make it
through the back glass. Maybe. Back glass is usually thinner and less
well laminated as a front windshield, so its YMMV

Gunner, who has shot up a lot of vehicles during testing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message

snip

Gunner, who has shot up a lot of vehicles during testing

What in the hell were you testing, armored limos? And whose vehicles did you
shoot?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

wrote:
Gunner writes:

[...]

Did you ever try going through a back bumper with a .50 BMG? grin

It can be spectacular when the tank is half (or less) full and you're
using tracer ammo. GRIN

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:54:01 -0700 (PDT), rigger wrote:

[...]

Interesting. They claim the snake is neutralized, but it doesn't
look so to me. I see five grazing hits to the body, two more
centered, no head hits. I don't think those two pinholes in the body
would materially impede the snake's ability to strike.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner writes:

If you shoot up a car, you will likely go to jail.

"Robber fatally shot by Miami jeweler making rounds in Boca"

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...07brshoot.html

"Rozio retrieved his pistol and started firing. He emptied three or four
rounds into the robbers' Silver Saturn Vue, which was outfitted with a
Kansas license plate obscuring a Florida tag, aiming for the tires and the
driver's side window.

"One of the robbers was struck and killed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote in
:

[...]

More likely tick him off...

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

If the perp is eluding, escaping, or avoiding the conflict, you have no
right to shoot.

Shoot the perp, no. To disable his vehicle, not so clear.

See yesterday's Boca Raton incident in the Palm Beach Post link I posted
elsewhere in the thread. Will be interesting to see how that story
finishes.

This is the same Boca neighborhood of the "Wolfie's Delicatessen" incident
some years ago. Grandma comes out of the restaurant, punks in a car grab
her purse, she hangs on and fights back, gets run over and stuck under the
car, perps drive down the road and out to I-95 dragging her body all the
way.

The 1/2 mile of bloody smeared grandma was visible on the pavement for
months afterwards. They never cleaned it up, and it took that long for it
to weather away. It was a good reminder of reality, while it lasted.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.

LEOs are awfully irritated when you shoot fleeing banditos.
I wonder how they feel when you shoot the fleeing vehikules.

Well if my property is in that vehicle, I think I'll take my chances on
immobilizing the vehicle.

Assuming they drove straight in, pop a few in the radiator. That way they
will go a bit up the road away from you before the car dies. All sorts of
nice dna and fingerprint info in that car they abandoned with your stuff it
it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Thu, 08 May 2008 10:41:43
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

You are far better served by shooting into the back of the trunk at
the most perpendicular surface you can find, preferably in line with
the driver, though after punching sheetmetal and supports, bullet
travel will be in all directions once it enters the trunk and then
into the vehicle. Heavy bullets at high velocities may make it
through the back glass. Maybe. Back glass is usually thinner and less
well laminated as a front windshield, so its YMMV

I am reminded of what a friend of mine said her relatives did to
combat Klan knight kriders, back in Colorado. Just shoot their cars,
then come daylight, go looking for the cars with the bullet holes, or
fresh paint if you were using a shotgun.

Gunner, who has shot up a lot of vehicles during testing

sounds like fun
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Gunner writes:

[...]

Don't know if it was legal or the cops didn't care. Read the article
from the paper a long time ago. It was a shotgun and the getaway
vehicle was a van.
From what I remember law was bad guys had to be in your house or a
threat.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 May 2008 18:39:51 GMT, Eregon wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

wrote:
Gunner writes:

[...]

Very spectacular...G

Gunner

Mini gloat #2 mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 8 January 17th 08 06:14 PM
Mini Gloat mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 6 December 30th 07 05:11 AM
mini gloat? mac davis Woodworking 6 September 12th 06 04:20 PM
OT Mini gloat Gary Brady Metalworking 13 October 1st 05 03:19 PM
mini gloat Rob V Woodworking 3 August 29th 05 04:47 PM