Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default (mini gloat) Here come da JUDGE!

Whoo! Momma got a reprieve on the 10-week waiting list for my Taurus
Judge. It came in extra-early.

It's pretty sweet. All the clerks at the shop allowed how "as soon as
the rush was over" they wanted one for themselves.

No doubt, it is a fistful, and I'm not thrilled with how my arthritic
middle knuckle engages the back of the trigger guard. (Like, I'd worry
about a bruised knuckle in a fire-fight...)

But it shoots good. I was cleaning up 7s at 20 yards, and my daughter
was filling a 12" hole at 10, without ever having shot a wheel gun
before.

The slug pattern is a little loose, due to the very light rifling, but
even with #8 shot, the shot pattern at 10 yards is less than a yard wide.

It even fits my carry pocket. It's only about a half-inch longer than my
Ruger 357mag.

You told me to check back when I got it. I like it. (now.. who's got
decent cowboy loads in LC I can trust AND afford?)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 12:27*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

The Taurus Judge vs. The Box O' Truth:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Good testing on this great site.

dennis
in nca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger fired this volley in news:956ddb75-0368-4c65-a608-
:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I think I would agree completely with everything that guy said except for
one thing, and that's the utility of a shot round for personal defense.

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area. If
nothing else, it's a "just scream some till I run away" shot.

The benefit is not that you'll permanently disable him, but that you
cannot miss without trying. With #7-1/2s at 10 yards, the pellets were
about 2-1/2" apart, on average. There's a high likelihood you'll get at
least one of them in his eye.

I keep four Gold Dot flying ashtrays and one .410 with #7 in the wheel,
set up so the slugs go first. I've got four tries to drop the guy, then
one sure bet to distract him for a few seconds. That feels like a nice
complement to me. (besides, I'm gonna drop him & save the shot for the
no-legged snakes G)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 02:19:04 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 May 2008 10:35:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, silly. Perps -wrapped- in tires, of course.

--
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner writes:

Going to be attacked by a tire?

No, trying to stop one driving away. Pretty common scenario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

It's completely true that you won't knock down an assailant with .410
shot. But in a hot situation, a face shot with .410 bird shot is going
to be almost as distracting as a slug in some non-lethal area.

Will it shoot out a tire? Cuz they're even harder to hit than perps, in a
clutch.

Going to be attacked by a tire?

Gunner

I remember a story about a bloke who's tire ran away. Would a .410
have helped?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:54:01 -0700 (PDT), rigger wrote:

[...]

Interesting. They claim the snake is neutralized, but it doesn't
look so to me. I see five grazing hits to the body, two more
centered, no head hits. I don't think those two pinholes in the body
would materially impede the snake's ability to strike.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote in
:

[...]

More likely tick him off...

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Mini gloat #2 mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 8 January 17th 08 06:14 PM
Mini Gloat mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 6 December 30th 07 05:11 AM
mini gloat? mac davis Woodworking 6 September 12th 06 04:20 PM
OT Mini gloat Gary Brady Metalworking 13 October 1st 05 03:19 PM
mini gloat Rob V Woodworking 3 August 29th 05 04:47 PM