Gary Brady

Default OT Mini gloat

Well, this is not a score like the recent Monarch 10 EE for $800, or the
welder for $10, but:

Scanning the local craigslist FREE page, I see: "4year old Maytag
washer, seal is bad, it's on the curb." I call and find that it's close
by so I go by and pick it up. Looks brand new. Take it home, put in
the shop, start tearing it down. No prior knowledge of Maytags, but
internet helps. When I get to the "seal", I find a small necklace chain
hanging out. I take the "seal" apart, it is acutally two mating
surfaces that seal to keep the water in the tub. The rest of the
necklace chain (about 6" of it) is in a cavity inside the seal assembly.
I remove the chain, inspect the seal (one tiny blemish)and put the
thing back together. Run the washer through 3 complete cycles and it
doesn't leak a drop.

This washer sells at the discount houses for $389. It'll be a good
"loaner" while I do some repairs to my 25 year old Whirlpool.

It amazes me how many people send perfectly good stuff to the dump
because they don't have a set of sockets and few screwdrivers. It also
amazes how that so many "people in need" in this country never take
advantage of this sort of thing.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jeff Wisnia

Gary Brady wrote:

It amazes me how many people send perfectly good stuff to the dump
because they don't have a set of sockets and few screwdrivers. It also
amazes how that so many "people in need" in this country never take
advantage of this sort of thing.

That (and lazyness) is one of the reasons why I'm willing to dismiss my
parsimony and pay a hauler to take our weekly household trash to the
town's "refuse collection center".

They have a shipping container there set up as a "goodie dropoff" and
the wealthy non-techies who love to turn their Mercedes and Caddy SUVs
into garbage trucks leave appliances and computer stuff there because
it's cheaper to buy new ones than have them repaired.

If I took my own trash there regularly our home would gain mass faster
than a black hole.

If anybody in Red Sox country area needs an electric broom, just 'cmon
over. I must have 5 more of them than I need. All snatched from sidewalk
trash placements, and each needing but a few moments of easy work to
resuscitate.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

RoyJ

Gloat accepted!

As for the tossing it out: If you don't have the tools and the know
how, do it yourself repairs are a crapshoot. Example: I have a Sears
washer that has a troublesome mechanical timer. Give it a whack on the
top and it starts right up again. I have replaced the timer once,
perhaps a dozen years back, problem shows up again. So do I spend the
$90 for a new timer and HOPE? Or tear down the timer with it's 30 or so
contacts and HOPE I can find the troublesome lead and HOPE I can get it
back together?

And having the repair guy show up is worse. $75 service call to be told
"It's old, replace it" And no discount on the new one.

Gary Brady wrote:
[...]

F. George McDuffee

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:48:10 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:
snip
It amazes me how many people send perfectly good stuff to the dump
because they don't have a set of sockets and few screwdrivers. It also
amazes how that so many "people in need" in this country never take
advantage of this sort of thing.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

=========================
In my not so humble opinion you have just identified one of the
two major threats to the nation. [The other is the credit
binge.]

We are a civilization/culture largely based and increasingly
dependent on these two progressively more questionable
foundations.

As a retiring college educator/administrator, I am shocked but
not surprised about how little people know about either topic.

Leo Lichtman

A neighbor gave me a "nonworking" dishwasher after he replaced it with a new
one. I pressed the reset button, and then used it for years.

Rex B

I confess I bought a new pressure switch when my portable compressor
quit a few years ago. After getting it installed and it still not
working, I noticed this big red button on the motor.....
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Leo Lichtman wrote:
A neighbor gave me a "nonworking" dishwasher after he replaced it with a new
one. I pressed the reset button, and then used it for years.

Gary Brady

Rex B wrote:

I confess I bought a new pressure switch when my portable compressor
quit a few years ago. After getting it installed and it still not
working, I noticed this big red button on the motor.....
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Must have been the old Crapsman/Devilbis model. Being the skinflint
that I am, I procrastinated long enough that I finally saw the red
button before I bought the new switch! Still have that thing.

Gary
Rex B

Gary Brady wrote:
Rex B wrote:

I confess I bought a new pressure switch when my portable compressor
quit a few years ago. After getting it installed and it still not
working, I noticed this big red button on the motor.....
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Must have been the old Crapsman/Devilbis model. Being the skinflint
that I am, I procrastinated long enough that I finally saw the red
button before I bought the new switch! Still have that thing.

No, this was a Champion. In my defense, that red button was covered in
the same green paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit,
revealing a hint of red.
Tom

Gary Brady wrote:

It amazes me how many people send perfectly good stuff to the dump
because they don't have a set of sockets and few screwdrivers.

Don't HAVE sockets and screwdrivers?? Most wouldn't have the first clue
what to do with them if they had them.
98% of them would fill their $300,000 basements with water if they even
tried fixing the washer.
But hey, they've got a 4 year "degree" in something.

It also amazes how that so many "people in need" in this country never
take
advantage of this sort of thing.

Primary reason most of them are "in need". Too damn lazy to get off their
asses and fend for themselves.

Tom

Leo Lichtman

"Tom" wrote: (clip) Most wouldn't have the first clue what to do with them
if they had them.
(clip) But hey, they've got a 4 year "degree" in something.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One night I could see, outside in the dark, that a new neighbor was moving
in. They were useing a Coleman lantern to illuminate the inside of the van,
and then carrying in their furniture, using the same lantern to light the
rooms they were moving into. I went over to offer them some help, and found
that all they had to do was close the main switch, and they had lights.
This guy was starting his new position at UC, Berkeley as an electrical
engineering professor!

Gerald Miller

wrote:

[...]

Couple weeks ago I bought a 16" electric chain saw (old, all metal,
heavy) for a dollar 'cause it needs new brushes. Got it home and
checked - both brushes about 3/4" long, but the chain was so tight on
the bar it couldn't be moved. Works great now.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
carl mciver

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

| "Tom" wrote: (clip) Most wouldn't have the first clue what to do with
them
| if they had them.
| (clip) But hey, they've got a 4 year "degree" in something.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| One night I could see, outside in the dark, that a new neighbor was moving
| in. They were useing a Coleman lantern to illuminate the inside of the
van,
| and then carrying in their furniture, using the same lantern to light the
| rooms they were moving into. I went over to offer them some help, and
found
| that all they had to do was close the main switch, and they had lights.
| This guy was starting his new position at UC, Berkeley as an electrical
| engineering professor!

Just goes to show that those that can't do - teach!

There are educated idiots and there are ignorant idiots. Educated
idiots are the worst because they think they know it all, while the ignorant
idiot at least can admit he don't know nuthin'.
A stupid man will state that he knows everything. A wise man will admit
that he knows nothing.

Ken Sterling

Wahoo! Congratulations!!! That's a "perfect score". Worth bragging
about.

snip
Sheeessss.... All this time I thought a "perfect score" would be when
someone actually *pays* you to take something good and of value.
Ken.

Bob Chilcoat

I noticed a nearly new bronze pedestal sump pump by the curb near our house,
almost identical to the one in our sump. We live right next to a flood
plain, so having a spare pump ready to install is a good idea. I took it
home to check it out and noticed an imporvised weight hanging from the float
switch (one of those with the sliding float rod running through it) by a
piece of string, obviously an attempt (apparently unsuccessful) by the owner
to get it to cycle properly. I took off the weight, moved the rod up and
down, and readjusted the adjustment screw on the float switch so that its
"hysteresis" was the same going both ways. I still have it and it still
works perfectly. I guess the guy never tried that screw, or didn't
understand what it did.

ink.net...