Gary Brady

Default OT Mini gloat

Well, this is not a score like the recent Monarch 10 EE for $800, or the
welder for $10, but:

Scanning the local craigslist FREE page, I see: "4year old Maytag
washer, seal is bad, it's on the curb." I call and find that it's close
by so I go by and pick it up. Looks brand new. Take it home, put in
the shop, start tearing it down. No prior knowledge of Maytags, but
internet helps. When I get to the "seal", I find a small necklace chain
hanging out. I take the "seal" apart, it is acutally two mating
surfaces that seal to keep the water in the tub. The rest of the
necklace chain (about 6" of it) is in a cavity inside the seal assembly.
I remove the chain, inspect the seal (one tiny blemish)and put the
thing back together. Run the washer through 3 complete cycles and it
doesn't leak a drop.

This washer sells at the discount houses for $389. It'll be a good
"loaner" while I do some repairs to my 25 year old Whirlpool.

It amazes me how many people send perfectly good stuff to the dump
because they don't have a set of sockets and few screwdrivers. It also
amazes how that so many "people in need" in this country never take
advantage of this sort of thing.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX