Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wilton tradesman vise vs. HF 5655

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6291 fired this volley in
:

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2-Inch-Opening-

Tradesman/dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

I would (have said), earlier in my life; mostly, because you could be
sure they used a good alloy suitable to the purpose.

Now, I'm not so sure. I've looked at Wilton vises in stores over the
last few years. Most have "China" stamped or cast somewhere on them, or
in the documentation, and that makes me not trust the alloys.

If you're getting Chinalloy, you're getting Chinalloy. It doesn't take
much to bust it.

I have not seen a decent vise I could afford in quite a few years. That
particular Wilton looks awfully attractive, but I'd want to make sure
it's not another off-shore ripoff.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6291 wrote:

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

Well, Iggy, if you're going to beat the **** out of it, as most people
do their vises, and unless you have an absolute need for the wider jaws
and greater opening, I'd say you're better off with the HF version. You
can buy several HFs for what one Wilton will cost you and I really can't
see that the additional expenditure is warranted. If the HF holds what
you want and doesn't cause problems, well, there you go.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-25, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Those particular Wilton vises, supposedly, are USA made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-25, Jim Chandler wrote:
Ignoramus6291 wrote:

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

Well, Iggy, if you're going to beat the **** out of it, as most people
do their vises, and unless you have an absolute need for the wider jaws
and greater opening, I'd say you're better off with the HF version. You
can buy several HFs for what one Wilton will cost you and I really can't
see that the additional expenditure is warranted. If the HF holds what
you want and doesn't cause problems, well, there you go.

I kind of agree. There is a local Craigslist ad for the Wilton and
that's why I was wondering.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6291 fired this volley in
:

Those particular Wilton vises, supposedly, are USA made.

All they have to do is assemble the parts and paint them in the US to say
that.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better?

A good bench vise is a lifetime tool that can take incredible punishment. The
Wilton Tradesman series is made from 60,000 psi ductile iron. As the Wilton
vises get less expensive, this strength drops. The lowest strength that they
list for any line is 30,000 psi, and it is not ductile iron anymore. And that
6" vise (their Mechanic's line) is still over $200 list. Then you have the HF
vise at 40 bucks or whatever. More than likely brittle casting, soft jaws,
drive pins that will bend under pressure etc. It's a fine vise for the price,
but it probably wouldn't last in a real shop.

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:45:52 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com quickly quoth:

[...]

I've been beating on my 6" Chinalloy vise from HF for over 30 years
now and I've had no problems with it. I frequently use all 200 lbs on
the bar to secure things, too. No big.

I have not seen a decent vise I could afford in quite a few years. That
particular Wilton looks awfully attractive, but I'd want to make sure
it's not another off-shore ripoff.

I'm sure the Wilton is a fine vise, but I'd not be willing to pay that
extra for a U.S. casting. For the price difference, I'd buy a $30-60
HF and return it if it breaks. YMMV

Check auctions if you want a US-made Wilton. The shop closings in
schools have them out there. eBay has had many listings for them in
the past, too. Here ya go. It's up to $58 with 5 days to go.
http://tinyurl.com/yrf5mp Can you handle 8 inches? snicker

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:45:52 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com quickly quoth:

Ignoramus6291 fired this volley in
om:

[...]

I had one that went bad on me.

I have not seen a decent vise I could afford in quite a few years. That
particular Wilton looks awfully attractive, but I'd want to make sure
it's not another off-shore ripoff.

I'm sure the Wilton is a fine vise, but I'd not be willing to pay that
extra for a U.S. casting. For the price difference, I'd buy a $30-60
HF and return it if it breaks. YMMV

Check auctions if you want a US-made Wilton. The shop closings in
schools have them out there. eBay has had many listings for them in
the past, too. Here ya go. It's up to $58 with 5 days to go.
http://tinyurl.com/yrf5mp Can you handle 8 inches? snicker

It is not accurately described. It is a 3.5" vise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:49:23 -0500, Ignoramus6291

On 2008-03-25, Jim Chandler wrote:
Ignoramus6291 wrote:

[...]

Year and a half back I, on a whim, risked $5 on a used 4" vise, and
when I got a round tuit, discovered it was a Henry #3 (also labeled
Craftools - Canada) probably made right here in town. After mounting
it, I immediately donated the chinatools vise I had been using to
second son.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:58:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus6291 quickly quoth:

On 2008-03-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I've been beating on my 6" Chinalloy vise from HF for over 30 years
now and I've had no problems with it. I frequently use all 200 lbs on
the bar to secure things, too. No big.

I had one that went bad on me.

Did you return it and the second one works fine? Or did the second
also fail, so you returned it for your money back and bought something
else, I hope?

I've never had a second example of any item from HF fail on me, and
very few firsts have, surprisingly enough.

Speaking of failures, I need to replace a $1.50 chuck. It's the style
with the 1/4" hex, good for 1/4" billdrits. My impact drill got a bit
too rambunctious with it so it's now a nice oblong holemaker. Who
makes a better, impact-proof chuck which will fit that beast?
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=674197 This is identical to the
less-than-suitable chuck I had earlier. I need a better one.

Hey, HF just redesigned their site. Search results now come paired on
a row instead of singularly. I like it! Alas, they no longer carry
that chuck.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/product_details.asp?pid=44 Anyone seen
these in stores? Jacobs 31248 or, less ideally, 30248.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:10:31 -0500, (DT)
wrote:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better?

A good bench vise is a lifetime tool that can take incredible punishment. The
Wilton Tradesman series is made from 60,000 psi ductile iron. As the Wilton
vises get less expensive, this strength drops. The lowest strength that they
list for any line is 30,000 psi, and it is not ductile iron anymore. And that
6" vise (their Mechanic's line) is still over $200 list. Then you have the HF
vise at 40 bucks or whatever. More than likely brittle casting, soft jaws,
drive pins that will bend under pressure etc. It's a fine vise for the price,
but it probably wouldn't last in a real shop.

Came home a couple weeks ago, and on my work bench was this

http://www.wiltontool.com/Products.a...250&Part=16240

and a Wilton machinest vice.

Several months ago, old guy stopped by, looking for some R8 tooling.
I gave him some stuff, including an r8 with a Jacobs 5/8" Super drill
chuck.

He left a note with the vise and arm thanking me for thestuff

Now all I need to do is figure out what to put on the Power Arm
Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I've been beating on my 6" Chinalloy vise from HF for over 30 years
now and I've had no problems with it. I frequently use all 200 lbs on
the bar to secure things, too. No big.

I had one that went bad on me.

Did you return it and the second one works fine? Or did the second
also fail, so you returned it for your money back and bought something
else, I hope?

I did not feel comfortable returning it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:29:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus13009 quickly quoth:

On 2008-03-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I've been beating on my 6" Chinalloy vise from HF for over 30 years
now and I've had no problems with it. I frequently use all 200 lbs on
the bar to secure things, too. No big.

I had one that went bad on me.

Did you return it and the second one works fine? Or did the second
also fail, so you returned it for your money back and bought something
else, I hope?

I did not feel comfortable returning it.

What with the thermite stains and all? I see your point.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 04:05:18 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Came home a couple weeks ago, and on my work bench was this

http://www.wiltontool.com/Products.a...250&Part=16240

Ooh, very cool.

and a Wilton machinest vice.

I you can't spell it, you aren't one. 'Course, I can but I amn't
one...yet. (Machinist)

Several months ago, old guy stopped by, looking for some R8 tooling.
I gave him some stuff, including an r8 with a Jacobs 5/8" Super drill
chuck.

He left a note with the vise and arm thanking me for thestuff

Tres cool.

Now all I need to do is figure out what to put on the Power Arm

A USPSPM flatrate box. Still got my address?

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wilton tradesman vise vs. Wilton Machinist vise

Here's something interesting that I learned regarding Wilton Tradesman
1765 vs Wilton Machinist vise like 600S.

- Machinist vise costs $1,150 at McMaster and $1,300 at Amazon
- Tradesman costs $289 at Amazon and is not available from McMaster
- They are made of the same 60,000 PSI ductile iron
- Both made in USA
- Very similar construction and parts breakdown, according to drawings
at wiltontool.com:
* http://www.wiltontool.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=663
* http://www.wiltontool.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=655
- The machinist vise has a much larger throat width up to 10", vs. 6.5
for the Tradesman
- Same applies to throat depth
- Machinist vise weighs 158 lbs, Tradesman is 73 lbs. Much of the
weight difference must be accounted for due to length difference,
but the machinist is probably thicker

I finally decided to bite and will likely buy a new Tradesman for $200
cash locally, if all goes well today. That's kind of expensive by my
standards, but whatever, I live just once and the vise has a greater
chance of retaining its usefulness than the money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
lid says...

*
http://www.wiltontool.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=663
* http://www.wiltontool.com/PartDetails.aspx?BDID=655
- The machinist vise has a much larger throat width up to 10", vs. 6.5
for the Tradesman
- Same applies to throat depth
- Machinist vise weighs 158 lbs, Tradesman is 73 lbs. Much of the
weight difference must be accounted for due to length difference,
but the machinist is probably thicker

I finally decided to bite and will likely buy a new Tradesman for $200
cash locally, if all goes well today. That's kind of expensive by my
standards, but whatever, I live just once and the vise has a greater
chance of retaining its usefulness than the money.

I shopped around for a vise a few months ago. I'm lucky in that I can view
every Wilton line at Production Tool which is near me. After careful shopping,
I went with their WS-6 vise, from their Shop Vise line. It's really tight and
smooth, and sells for less than $100. Not as strong as a Tradesman, and
doesn't have that classic round look, but great for what I need.

Don't be tempted by the Wilton vises at Home Depot. They are really from their
Wilton-Columbian partership, and are identical to the Harbor Freight (and
everyone else) vises that sell for $40. They are easily recognizable by the
cantilevered anvil supported by that 45 degree brace. Those Home Depot Wiltons
vises have only 270 degree rotation instead of 360, 3 hold down bolts instead
of 4, and a much shallower base casting. Like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...797-28920-1110
6&lpage=none

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:27:16 -0500, Ignoramus13009
wrote:

[...]

I got the 500S for less than $600 on sale from J&L, but that was 2-3
yrs. ago. Today, it's $730, weighs 96 lbs. It was a birthday present
to myself. I've installed a couple 500S's at work over the years.
That's plenty big for what I do. J&L's price for the 600S is $1199.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Amazon right now has an insane sale on the 800s vise. I could not
believe my eyes. $870 for a 800s. Way outside my price range though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What a beast, 238#! Dad picked up a monster like that once, intended
to mount it on a buried telephone pole in the middle of the barn. He
never did anything with it.

I can tell you from experience the Wilton machinist vise, and probably
the tradesman, will hold damn near anything without any wiggle,
rocking, flexing, or any other unacceptable behavior. I find them
perfect for hand filing, sawing, etc. If you grab the jaw at full
extension and wiggle it, you'll see very little play at all.

Also, magnetic aluminum soft jaws and many other jaw accessories are
available, as well as replacement jaw inserts.

Pete