Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6291 Ignoramus6291 is offline

Default Wilton tradesman vise vs. HF 5655

On 2008-03-25, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6291 fired this volley in
:

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2-Inch-Opening-

Tradesman/dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

I would (have said), earlier in my life; mostly, because you could be
sure they used a good alloy suitable to the purpose.

Now, I'm not so sure. I've looked at Wilton vises in stores over the
last few years. Most have "China" stamped or cast somewhere on them, or
in the documentation, and that makes me not trust the alloys.

If you're getting Chinalloy, you're getting Chinalloy. It doesn't take
much to bust it.

I have not seen a decent vise I could afford in quite a few years. That
particular Wilton looks awfully attractive, but I'd want to make sure
it's not another off-shore ripoff.

Those particular Wilton vises, supposedly, are USA made.