Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Wilton tradesman vise vs. HF 5655

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:58:19 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus6291 quickly quoth:

On 2008-03-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:

I've been beating on my 6" Chinalloy vise from HF for over 30 years
now and I've had no problems with it. I frequently use all 200 lbs on
the bar to secure things, too. No big.

I had one that went bad on me.

Did you return it and the second one works fine? Or did the second
also fail, so you returned it for your money back and bought something
else, I hope?

I've never had a second example of any item from HF fail on me, and
very few firsts have, surprisingly enough.

Speaking of failures, I need to replace a $1.50 chuck. It's the style
with the 1/4" hex, good for 1/4" billdrits. My impact drill got a bit
too rambunctious with it so it's now a nice oblong holemaker. Who
makes a better, impact-proof chuck which will fit that beast?
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=674197 This is identical to the
less-than-suitable chuck I had earlier. I need a better one.

Hey, HF just redesigned their site. Search results now come paired on
a row instead of singularly. I like it! Alas, they no longer carry
that chuck.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/product_details.asp?pid=44 Anyone seen
these in stores? Jacobs 31248 or, less ideally, 30248.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler