Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Wilton tradesman vise vs. HF 5655

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:49:23 -0500, Ignoramus6291

On 2008-03-25, Jim Chandler wrote:
Ignoramus6291 wrote:

Example:

Comparing this wilton vise:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63201-2.../dp/B00004XPVI

with

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

(I have the latter). Would you say that the Wilton vise is in some
measurable way better? The Harbor Freight vise, so far, did not give
me many problems.

Well, Iggy, if you're going to beat the **** out of it, as most people
do their vises, and unless you have an absolute need for the wider jaws
and greater opening, I'd say you're better off with the HF version. You
can buy several HFs for what one Wilton will cost you and I really can't
see that the additional expenditure is warranted. If the HF holds what
you want and doesn't cause problems, well, there you go.

I kind of agree. There is a local Craigslist ad for the Wilton and
that's why I was wondering.

Year and a half back I, on a whim, risked $5 on a used 4" vise, and
when I got a round tuit, discovered it was a Henry #3 (also labeled
Craftools - Canada) probably made right here in town. After mounting
it, I immediately donated the chinatools vise I had been using to
second son.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada