Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 18" Mitutoyo micrometer batteries

I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32527 wrote:

I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Some electronic scales require a different voltage for the battery. The
batteries are a little smaller. Im not sure of the other number but I
ran into the same problem a while ago.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 6:04 pm, Ignoramus32527 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32527.invalid wrote:
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Um, have you tried Mitutoyo? Just a thought... They ARE still in
business. Hopefully they aren't old enough that they need mercury
cells.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a really novel thought. Open up the battery compartment,
remove a dead battery, read the information on the battery, buy a
new one.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ignoramus32527" wrote in
message ...
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they
required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So
maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any
idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32527" wrote in message
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Wal-Mart jewelry counter (and probably many others) should have a plastic
gage with cutouts for different button battery sizes if you have a battery
or can measure the holder.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, DanG wrote:
Here's a really novel thought. Open up the battery compartment,
remove a dead battery, read the information on the battery, buy a
new one.

No battery in the compartment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Don Young wrote:

"Ignoramus32527" wrote in message
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Wal-Mart jewelry counter (and probably many others) should have a plastic
gage with cutouts for different button battery sizes if you have a battery
or can measure the holder.

That's a great idea! (along with calling Mitutoyo). I tried calling
them once and spent about 20 minutes on hold. I will try once more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Don Young wrote:

"Ignoramus32527" wrote in
message
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So
maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Wal-Mart jewelry counter (and probably many others) should have a
plastic
gage with cutouts for different button battery sizes if you have a
battery
or can measure the holder.

That's a great idea! (along with calling Mitutoyo). I tried calling
them once and spent about 20 minutes on hold. I will try once more.

What is the model.
All or most (I did not thave time to check every one) the Mitutoyo
Micros use SR44 batteries.

Did you look at http://www.mitutoyo.com ??
--
John G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:16:11 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus32527 quickly quoth:

On 2007-11-12, DanG wrote:
Here's a really novel thought. Open up the battery compartment,
remove a dead battery, read the information on the battery, buy a
new one.

No battery in the compartment.

That makes a great deal of difference in the LCD readout intensity,
Ig. They're considerably brighter and more legible with a battery
installed.

--
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

That makes a great deal of difference in the LCD readout intensity,
Ig. They're considerably brighter ...

.... but still not bright enough for Iggiot to read the battery type right
near or in the battery-compartment!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, DanG wrote:
Here's a really novel thought. Open up the battery compartment,
remove a dead battery, read the information on the battery, buy a
new one.

No battery in the compartment.

That makes a great deal of difference in the LCD readout intensity,
Ig. They're considerably brighter and more legible with a battery
installed.

Yes, without batteries, I have a strange symptom, which is that the
screen does not light up!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32527" wrote in message
I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required
SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe,
for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea
what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

I have a couple of Mitutuyo digital calipers and the battery type is printed
on the battery compartment compartment label. Mitutuyo has some sort of
facility just off I-88 on the east side of Aurora, so you may find it
quicker to drive over there rather than wait on hold g.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Ignoramus23382 :
On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

Yep -- both magnum calibers. :-)

But yes -- they are interchangeable -- though you want to be sure
that it is marked SR357 not just 357 -- same for the SR44s.

And my 12" Mitutoyo digital caliper runs on SR357 batteries.
(I forget whether it uses one or two -- but I need it seldom enough so
it is usually time to swap batteries when I need to use it. :-) The 6"
ones do the job most of the time, so the 12" lives in its fitted wooden
case.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:12:31 -0600, Ignoramus23382

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44
is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen
that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both
dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44
is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen
that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both
dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.

Don, I will measure tonight. The SR44 battery that I bought for this
caliper, did not fit, but by a small margin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44
is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen
that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both
dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.

Don, I will measure tonight. The SR44 battery that I bought for this
caliper, did not fit, but by a small margin.

i- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44
is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen
that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both
dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.

Don, I will measure tonight. The SR44 battery that I bought for this
caliper, did not fit, but by a small margin.

The alkaline button batteries tend to bulge when they get old and
after use. Some come pre-bulged, too. IRC, the 357 is a silver
oxide, not an alkaline. Supposed to give longer life although I never
had THAT particular experience wiht my calculator.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:05:16 -0600, Ignoramus9314

You can get a 375 at Walgreens or Rite Aid. No need to order it from
McMaster.
Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:05:16 -0600, Ignoramus9314

You can get a 375 at Walgreens or Rite Aid. No need to order it from
McMaster.
Dan

I do not buy stuff at Walgreens, their goods are absolute bottom of
the barrel quality. (especially toys). I do not mind spendig a few
extra dollars.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Maybe that's why the battery doesn't last very long in my calibers. I
thought it was becasue I forgot to turn it off all the time.
I thought you could get one locally just to see if it would do what
you needed, then spend the big bucks at McMasters :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
Maybe that's why the battery doesn't last very long in my calibers. I
thought it was becasue I forgot to turn it off all the time.
I thought you could get one locally just to see if it would do what
you needed, then spend the big bucks at McMasters :-)

It is not big bucks, it is $1.55 per battery, not so bad. I need to
get something else there anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Ignoramus9314 :

On 2007-11-12, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember.
Maybe that's what you need?

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44
is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen
that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both
dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.

Don, I will measure tonight. The SR44 battery that I bought for this
caliper, did not fit, but by a small margin.

O.K. I just went down and got mine to check. The manual, and a
label on the back of the slide, says to use SR44 (and the SR357 is
identical in size and voltage.

The SR357 which I removed from this to replace it (because the
display was getting faint) measures:

Thickness: 0.2035" (5.16mm)
Diameter: 0.4555" (11.56mm)

Note that the "battery compartment" in this one (exposed when the
door is slid off) is a circle of phosphor bronze (like shim stock) with
a leg connecting it to the circuit board, and a flat phosphor bronze (I
think) spring on the board in the center of that area, so it can adjust
to small changes in battery size.

The "code" number (from the label on the back) is: 500-323
The "model" number (from the same place) is: CD-12"
It uses cable numbers: 905338(1m) or 905409(2m)

No clue as to when it was made. Not even a copyright date on
the manual. (Perhaps there is one if I could read Japanese, but not in
English at least. :-)

The back side of the manual gives the pinout of the connector,
and the data format.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Dan Dan@:
Maybe that's why the battery doesn't last very long in my calibers. I
thought it was becasue I forgot to turn it off all the time.
I thought you could get one locally just to see if it would do what
you needed, then spend the big bucks at McMasters :-)

Do you have a Batteries Plus locally? They have a lot of the
less common sizes of batteries -- and can order the even less common
ones, such as the old 45V radio batteries which my GR sound level meter
and my old Navy surplus Geiger counter use.

As for battery life -- the Starrett 6" calipers use two of the
large coin cells -- 2032 I think -- and they last perhaps six months in
what I have -- unless I slide the battery holder about 1/8" just prior
to putting it away, so it disconnects the batteries. Of course, I have
to re-zero it when I switch it back on, but that is not a problem.

The Mitutoyo calipers have much better battery life.

My old B&S digital calipers (glass optical scale in the groove
under the carriage, and LED readout) used PX-13A cells -- which were
mercury cells, and thus are currently made of unobtainum. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9314" wrote in message
OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Wait a minute. How are you measuring 4" with an 18" micrometer? Do you mean
an 18" caliper? I assume so, because an 18" mike is an expensive piece of
hardware -- hundreds.

As for accuracy, try measuring the 4" gage block. The gage block is 4", plus
or minus a few millionths or a few tens of millionths, depending upon grade.
That will tell you how accurate your caliper is at 4".

Is your gage block steel or white ceramic?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus9314" wrote in message
OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Wait a minute. How are you measuring 4" with an 18" micrometer? Do you mean
an 18" caliper? I assume so, because an 18" mike is an expensive piece of
hardware -- hundreds.

No, I am sorry Ed, a lot of things happened today and I mixed up. It
is a caliper, not a micrometer. I apologize.

As for accuracy, try measuring the 4" gage block. The gage block is 4", plus
or minus a few millionths or a few tens of millionths, depending upon grade.
That will tell you how accurate your caliper is at 4".

Is your gage block steel or white ceramic?

The are steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

Wait a minute. How are you measuring 4" with an 18" micrometer? Do you mean
an 18" caliper? I assume so, because an 18" mike is an expensive piece of
hardware -- hundreds.

No, I am sorry Ed, a lot of things happened today and I mixed up. It
is a caliper, not a micrometer. I apologize.

I was assuming a caliper in my answer -- and then I saw the
subject line (after I sent) and was afraid that I had answered the wrong
question. :-)

As for accuracy, try measuring the 4" gage block. The gage block is 4", plus
or minus a few millionths or a few tens of millionths, depending upon grade.
That will tell you how accurate your caliper is at 4".

Is your gage block steel or white ceramic?

The are steel.

Then at the worst, as manufactured, they will be within 50
micro-inches of 4" (+/-0.000050"). More accurate than the caliper,
which at best reads down to 0.0005" (500 micro-inches), and is likely to
not be that accurate -- though a good one may be accurate to 0.001".

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus9314" wrote in message
OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Wait a minute. How are you measuring 4" with an 18" micrometer? Do you
mean
an 18" caliper? I assume so, because an 18" mike is an expensive piece of
hardware -- hundreds.

No, I am sorry Ed, a lot of things happened today and I mixed up. It
is a caliper, not a micrometer. I apologize.

Jeez, you don't have to apologize over it. Cripes, if we start apologizing
for things like that our messages will look like something written in the
18th century. d8-)

As for accuracy, try measuring the 4" gage block. The gage block is 4",
plus
or minus a few millionths or a few tens of millionths, depending upon
grade.
That will tell you how accurate your caliper is at 4".

Is your gage block steel or white ceramic?

The are steel.

OK, then I won't have to throw in any cautions about equalizing temperature.
Just measure it and go for it. It should be within 0.001".

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:25:20 -0600, Ignoramus9314
wrote:

OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Digital calipers are handy as pockets on a shirt in the shop. I have
one on every machine and every bench, each glove compartment, a
couple of spares, and I've given one to most of my distant progeny so
when they come up with "dad, could ya ever.." projects I can get some
decent measurements of what they'd like to fit. A light fixture in
London, an old faucet in Brooklyn, an old shower head in Detroit, and
so on.

I have one Mitutoyo and a bunch of HF jobs, and I gotta tellya I see
no difference in performance or accuracy. The HF calipers are 15 bux
when on sale. They work just fine.

That said, I wouldn't trust any digital caliper to closer than .001"
and I think that's a bit iffy. That is plenty close enough for nearly
all measuring done with calipers. They're wonderful for quick 'n dirty
to within a coupla thou. Easy to read, what's not to like. A digital
caliper is a precision instrument compared to a tape measure, but
it's incapable of the precision of mikes and even lowest-grade
gageblocks.

For closer measurements I use micrometers, or at least a high quality
dial caliper like Etalon. Not B&S, and not Starett. I trust the
Etalon to half a thou, inside (between flats or posts, not in a hole)
or outside. I don't take it out of the case often, but I'm glad to
have it now and then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:45:48 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
Digital calipers are handy as pockets on a shirt in the shop. I have
one on every machine and every bench, each glove compartment, a
couple of spares...

snipped

Has anyone here bit on the new (at least every offer I've
seen so far calls them new) digital calipers that can do
fractions yet?

If so how to you like it? does it convert between
inch-metric-fraction in a reasonable manner?

For an example see :

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/39808/

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7978

It seems all the popular vendors are offering these now for
~$25 on sale.

I find the fraction display/measure intriguing. A lot of
times that would be plenty accurate enough for what I was
trying to figure out and you wouldn't need to try converting
the measurement.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:31:47 -0500, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:45:48 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
[...]

This just after I blew 1/2 loonie on a Casio fx-280 "fraction"
calculator!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One thing - sometimes they are very old - passed around stores and
such. I had to buy a dozen or so N batteries from a drug store
before they bought new. Those now have remained good for more than 4 years.
The others would last a month or so.

It was a Rite Aid which bought out another which had bough out another.
I lived there through the last two mergers/take overs and lost all my
prescriptions when one computer system couldn't read the prior company
data base. That was expensive for the users of that pharmacy.

I switched about a year before I left for good.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a plastic one for quick general measurements and wood and junk.
When I want to measure something proper, I use my good Mitutoyo that is in
the box. When larger, I go to my height gauge. It is also a nice tall one.
And then to the various mic's that are pre verified before using.
I also open and then close - so I pass through the zone going both ways.

So I have a small line of defense.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those are cute - I'd like them if they said 11/16 + .002 Because one
almost never sees 11/16 or 3/8 anything. It is always +/- something.

Less it is a real real exotic gauge block.

I admit I measure a lot of things and convert to see a drill size or such.

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:45:48 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-15, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I have a plastic one for quick general measurements and wood and junk.
When I want to measure something proper, I use my good Mitutoyo that is in
the box. When larger, I go to my height gauge. It is also a nice tall one.
And then to the various mic's that are pre verified before using.
I also open and then close - so I pass through the zone going both ways.

I use my 6" mitutoyo for everything and it does not get worse from
being used. I had it for about 12 years, I bought it at a pawnshop in
Tulsa shortly after I immigrated to the US, without any idea that
Mitutoyo was a good brand etc.

I recently bought a 12" mitutoyo and two 18 inchers and am deciding
which ones to keep. I think that the most sensible thing would be to
keep the 6 incher and one 18 incher.

wrote:

[...]

Sources for silver oxide "watch" batteries? Rick Electronics Repair 10 April 7th 07 09:07 AM
Are Poundland "Duracell" batteries fakes? Andy UK diy 53 January 20th 07 05:28 PM
Stupid Micrometer Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 January 7th 07 07:39 PM
Mitutoyo raided for selling "banned" nuclear items Frank Fallen Metalworking 20 March 5th 06 02:13 AM
Mitutoyo Micrometer Tip Replacement. Pal Metalworking 3 August 24th 04 03:50 AM