Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28622 Ignoramus28622 is offline

Default 18" Mitutoyo micrometer batteries

On 2007-11-15, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I have a plastic one for quick general measurements and wood and junk.
When I want to measure something proper, I use my good Mitutoyo that is in
the box. When larger, I go to my height gauge. It is also a nice tall one.
And then to the various mic's that are pre verified before using.
I also open and then close - so I pass through the zone going both ways.

I use my 6" mitutoyo for everything and it does not get worse from
being used. I had it for about 12 years, I bought it at a pawnshop in
Tulsa shortly after I immigrated to the US, without any idea that
Mitutoyo was a good brand etc.

I recently bought a 12" mitutoyo and two 18 inchers and am deciding
which ones to keep. I think that the most sensible thing would be to
keep the 6 incher and one 18 incher.

So I have a small line of defense.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:25:20 -0600, Ignoramus9314
wrote:

OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Digital calipers are handy as pockets on a shirt in the shop. I have
one on every machine and every bench, each glove compartment, a
couple of spares, and I've given one to most of my distant progeny so
when they come up with "dad, could ya ever.." projects I can get some
decent measurements of what they'd like to fit. A light fixture in
London, an old faucet in Brooklyn, an old shower head in Detroit, and
so on.

I have one Mitutoyo and a bunch of HF jobs, and I gotta tellya I see
no difference in performance or accuracy. The HF calipers are 15 bux
when on sale. They work just fine.

That said, I wouldn't trust any digital caliper to closer than .001"
and I think that's a bit iffy. That is plenty close enough for nearly
all measuring done with calipers. They're wonderful for quick 'n dirty
to within a coupla thou. Easy to read, what's not to like. A digital
caliper is a precision instrument compared to a tape measure, but
it's incapable of the precision of mikes and even lowest-grade
gageblocks.

For closer measurements I use micrometers, or at least a high quality
dial caliper like Etalon. Not B&S, and not Starett. I trust the
Etalon to half a thou, inside (between flats or posts, not in a hole)
or outside. I don't take it out of the case often, but I'm glad to
have it now and then.