Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 18" Mitutoyo micrometer batteries

"Ignoramus9314" wrote in message
OK, thanks to everyone. I tried another battery (I bought 10) and it
worked fine. Must've been something wrong with that one.

These 18 inch micrometers seem to work. What kind of accuracy should I
expect from them, if I measure a 4" gage block (also Mitutoyo)?

thanks

Wait a minute. How are you measuring 4" with an 18" micrometer? Do you mean
an 18" caliper? I assume so, because an 18" mike is an expensive piece of
hardware -- hundreds.

As for accuracy, try measuring the 4" gage block. The gage block is 4", plus
or minus a few millionths or a few tens of millionths, depending upon grade.
That will tell you how accurate your caliper is at 4".

Is your gage block steel or white ceramic?

--
Ed Huntress