Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Website update: Gallery up and running.

OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

If you have any trouble with it, please email me.

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html

A friend of mine, Mike Slass, gets credit for the gallery.
He wrote a Liniux program that takes a file tree of images and text
files and generates the entire gallery in HTML.

So now you can see the Opera Dragon belch fire

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/th...ra/ring_cycle/
index.html

The endless railing jobs

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/re...work/railings/
index.html

and and even screen shots of me from "The Postman".

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/th..._postman/index.
html

Of course now I will end up with a HUGE bandwidth charge from Earthlink.
Steve Peterson

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

Looks good Ernie!

I have seen that dragon in my dreams...er.....nightmares I am pretty sure.

Keep up the wonderful job you have been doing in offering advice to budding
metalworkers.
Steve

Lane

[...]

Very nice Ernie, thanks for sharing. I took a quick peek around, very
impressive work. I'll look at every picture later this evening.

Lane

Carl Byrns

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:50:18 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
shouted from the rooftop:

OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

If you have any trouble with it, please email me.

Nice work!
The Dragon is beyond cool.

-Carl

"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:50:18 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
stated, with eyes & arms akimbo:

OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

It appears that you have far too much fun on the job.
Congrats.

If you have any trouble with it, please email me.
http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html

A friend of mine, Mike Slass, gets credit for the gallery.
He wrote a Liniux program that takes a file tree of images and text
files and generates the entire gallery in HTML.

So now you can see the Opera Dragon belch fire

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/th...ra/ring_cycle/
index.html

That thing was HUGE!

The endless railing jobs

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/re...work/railings/
index.html

Do you have a finished photo of the Project 20 gates?
Those are very nice.

I'll bet the dropping, curving, twisting stairway work in Project
18 was, er, interesting to work out.

and and even screen shots of me from "The Postman".

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/th..._postman/index.
html

Cool! I'll bet being cast was fun. Did they pay you well for
the work, the rentals on the equipment, and the output from
the work? I hear that the props people pay very well for
special equipment.

Of course now I will end up with a HUGE bandwidth charge from Earthlink.

Of course. I'd be glad to donate my time helping you set up a Paypal
Donation button on the site if you like. I'm sure it would pay for
itself in no time. Just let me know.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications

Larry

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

Nice job Ernie!

Looks like I'll be 'out of a job' real soon! :-)
LOL, ducking and running for cover

Larry
www.WeldingFaq.com
'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

wallster

[...]

very nice! thanks for sharing your work.
walt

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I shipped them down to Oakland CA for my friend to install on his house.
I plan on stopping by next time I am down there to take the installed
pictures.

I'll bet the dropping, curving, twisting stairway work in Project
18 was, er, interesting to work out.

That is the Las Vegas rail I was flown in to make on site.
I had 700 lbs of tools shipped in via truck.
It took me 3 days to make it on site.

The scroll sections are from Indital

http://www.indital.com/

and and even screen shots of me from "The Postman".

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/th..._postman/index.
html

Cool! I'll bet being cast was fun. Did they pay you well for
the work, the rentals on the equipment, and the output from
the work? I hear that the props people pay very well for
special equipment.

I made great money while in construction.
When I moved to Set decoration, and eventually an extra, I was having
lots of fun, but wasn't making much money.

Of course now I will end up with a HUGE bandwidth charge from Earthlink.

Of course. I'd be glad to donate my time helping you set up a Paypal
Donation button on the site if you like. I'm sure it would pay for
itself in no time. Just let me know.

I'll see how my charges rack up.
I get 15 GB per month of traffic from Earthlink.
Jon Elson

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
My photo gallery is up and running.

Wow, a lot of cool stuff!

Are those garage door springs on the hydraulic press? Those
things snap after so many cycles. And, they are REAL exciting
when they do. I've been in the garage twice when mine let go,
and I was REALLY glad somebody had told me about the safety
cables for them. One time, the whole spring went into a wall
and nearly tore down the whole garage!

Safety cables would help in your design, but I wouldn't want to
be operating the press just inches from those springs if they
let go, safety cable or not!

Just a thought....

Jon

Tim Williams

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Safety cables would help in your design, but I wouldn't want to
be operating the press just inches from those springs if they
let go, safety cable or not!

Just a thought....

Yeah, something tells me something in your pants would let loose when those
things do!

Tim

--
"Just remember, Man was made in God's image. Woman was created out
of a rib, which, quite honestly, is a cheaper cut of meat." - toon

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Jon Elson
wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
My photo gallery is up and running.

Wow, a lot of cool stuff!

Are those garage door springs on the hydraulic press? Those
things snap after so many cycles. And, they are REAL exciting
when they do. I've been in the garage twice when mine let go,
and I was REALLY glad somebody had told me about the safety
cables for them. One time, the whole spring went into a wall
and nearly tore down the whole garage!

Safety cables would help in your design, but I wouldn't want to
be operating the press just inches from those springs if they
let go, safety cable or not!

Just a thought....

Jon

The garage door springs are under very little stress.
The springs on the air-hydraulic jack are compressing the cylinder.
The springs only have to lift the weight of the upper carriage.

I might add some safety cables anyway.
John

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html

Very nice. I bookmarked it!
--
SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS
Have 5 nice days! John

bob1770

wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
My photo gallery is up and running.

Wow, a lot of cool stuff!

Are those garage door springs on the hydraulic press? Those
things snap after so many cycles. And, they are REAL exciting
when they do. I've been in the garage twice when mine let go,
and I was REALLY glad somebody had told me about the safety
cables for them. One time, the whole spring went into a wall
and nearly tore down the whole garage!

Safety cables would help in your design, but I wouldn't want to
be operating the press just inches from those springs if they
let go, safety cable or not!

Just a thought....

Jon

The garage door springs are under very little stress.
The springs on the air-hydraulic jack are compressing the cylinder.
The springs only have to lift the weight of the upper carriage.

I might add some safety cables anyway.

Did you build that mailbox for the local bomb squad! Nice stuff.
Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

It is for a friend who lives in the country.
Identity theft is sweeping Washington state, especially in rural areas
where mailboxes are sometimes miles from a house.

Bomb-shelter mailboxes are getting very popular.
Usually welding to a 10 foot length of 4" pipe driven into the ground.

Lane

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Did you build that mailbox for the local bomb squad! Nice stuff.

It is for a friend who lives in the country.
Identity theft is sweeping Washington state, especially in rural areas
where mailboxes are sometimes miles from a house.

Bomb-shelter mailboxes are getting very popular.
Usually welding to a 10 foot length of 4" pipe driven into the ground.

Yeah I made my own locking mailbox for the same reason. I got tired of
finding my mail on the ground and opened. I too live in Washington, about 60
miles north of Ernie.

Ernie, I've looked at everything in your online gallery. All I can say is
wow what a talented guy! And I have a couple of questions. Is there
anything you can't do? Have you ever turned down a job?

My hat is off to you.

Lane

SteveB

wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

I used to have problems with local kids playing "mailbox baseball" with my
rural tin mailbox on top of a 4x4 wood post. They would drive by with a
baseball bat whilst hanging out the window. It would usually take one hit
to destroy the box.

I took a brand new mailbox, and lined it with 3/8 plate, and put that on a
pipe. I covered the post with four one by's to make it look like a 4x
post, and set it about 2' into the ground into concrete, which was
intentionally cocked a few degrees. I came by one day to see a new dent in
the mailbox. The plate held up well. I straightened the little metal red
flag. About every couple of years, it would take a new hit, when the
previous mailbox baseball team graduated and a new batch of 16 year olds
would take up the sport.

I would have given 50 bucks to see one of them hit it with a baseball bat.

CLUNK ! ! !

Steve

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Lane
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Did you build that mailbox for the local bomb squad! Nice stuff.

It is for a friend who lives in the country.
Identity theft is sweeping Washington state, especially in rural areas
where mailboxes are sometimes miles from a house.

Bomb-shelter mailboxes are getting very popular.
Usually welding to a 10 foot length of 4" pipe driven into the ground.

Yeah I made my own locking mailbox for the same reason. I got tired of
finding my mail on the ground and opened. I too live in Washington, about 60
miles north of Ernie.

Ernie, I've looked at everything in your online gallery. All I can say is
wow what a talented guy! And I have a couple of questions. Is there
anything you can't do? Have you ever turned down a job?

My hat is off to you.

Lane

I have turned down jobs from people who worried me.
Sometimes you talk with somebody about a project, and you get small
clues to their personallity that scream at you, "RUN AWAY!!!".

There is no metal job that I would say no to because I hadn't ever done
it.
I will turn down jobs with no profit in them.
Jon Elson

SteveB wrote:

I took a brand new mailbox, and lined it with 3/8 plate, and put that on a
pipe. I covered the post with four one by's to make it look like a 4x
post, and set it about 2' into the ground into concrete, which was
intentionally cocked a few degrees. I came by one day to see a new dent in
the mailbox. The plate held up well. I straightened the little metal red
flag. About every couple of years, it would take a new hit, when the
previous mailbox baseball team graduated and a new batch of 16 year olds
would take up the sport.

I would have given 50 bucks to see one of them hit it with a baseball bat.

CLUNK ! ! !

Oh yeah! Bongggg! CRACK! OW! *#&(*#&

There was a great thread about two years ago about a guy who built one
of those brick mailbox posts with a piece of 4" Kelley bar inside,
buried in 4 feet of concrete below the post. Some guys in a 4WD
truck tried to knock it over. no luck. They went and got a friend
with another 4WD to assist, still no luck. Then, the guy in back
backed up and rammed the truck in front, totalling out the engine
in the lead vandal's (dad's) new truck! That truck had to be
abandoned, and the sheriff was there when the guys returned,
presumably with towing chains. OOPS! Not only totalled a new
truck, but got picked up for willful destruction of property.
The neighbors no doubt heard that lecture half a mile away!

Jon

Ted Edwards

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

My photo gallery is up and running.

Beautiful stuff in a well designed site.

Thanks, Ernie

Ted

wmbjk

wrote:

OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

If you have any trouble with it, please email me.

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html

A friend of mine, Mike Slass, gets credit for the gallery.
He wrote a Liniux program that takes a file tree of images and text
files and generates the entire gallery in HTML.

Nice work, thanks to both of you for sharing.

The pneumatic shear.... one of those "why didn't I think of that"

Wayne
Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote:

OK guys the fateful day has arrived.
My photo gallery is up and running.
We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.

If you have any trouble with it, please email me.

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html

A friend of mine, Mike Slass, gets credit for the gallery.
He wrote a Liniux program that takes a file tree of images and text
files and generates the entire gallery in HTML.

Nice work, thanks to both of you for sharing.

Mike got a compost tumbler made in exchange for his HTML work.

The pneumatic shear.... one of those "why didn't I think of that"

Wayne

The shear is very useful.
It would be nice to have it permanently mounted to a long bench, but it
works OK rolling around.
The blade height is the same as all of my work benches and sawhorses,
at 34".
Rob McDonald

Ernie,

Any chance you could put a pic of the compost tumbler in the dropbox? I've
been thinking of making one and am looking for ideas.

Rob

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:070620042229095501%
:

Mike got a compost tumbler made in exchange for his HTML work.

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Rob McDonald
wrote:

Ernie,

Any chance you could put a pic of the compost tumbler in the dropbox? I've
been thinking of making one and am looking for ideas.

Rob

I couldn't find my camera when Mike came to get it, but I will get
pictures soon.

I based mine off of the ones on this site.

https://www.compostumbler.com/

The one I built looks like their biggest model, but I used a 55 gallon
Polyethylene drum ($20 new) for the main body and made an aluminum door
frame and door for it.
I made the support frame from 3/4" aluminum pipe so I could bend it in
my hydraulic pipe bender.
I used 6" nylon wagon wheels for the rollers, and all stainless steel
bolts.
My goal was to make sure that nothing could rust.
Here in Seattle that is a consideration.