Wayne

Default Tapping with keyless chuck on lathe

Sometime back one of our esteemed members posted that
if his machine had reverse, that he would only use a
keyed chuck on that machine.

I've been pretty much spoiled by keyless chucks.
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a keyless or
keyed chuck for a lathe. If I'm just drilling a hole,
keyless is just fine. Putting a tap in the keyless
and tapping wouldn't be a problem because you are
still going forward. But when you put the lathe
in reverse to remove the tap, would the tap
loosen in the chuck? I would assume that there
is less resistance pulling the tap out, so maybe
it wouldn't loosen. Also I assume if it did
loosen, the worse that could happen is I'd
have to remove the tap by hand.

So I'm looking to those with the experience
to help me decide.

Thanks,
Wayne
tomcas

Wayne wrote:
Sometime back one of our esteemed members posted that
if his machine had reverse, that he would only use a
keyed chuck on that machine.

I've been pretty much spoiled by keyless chucks.
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a keyless or
keyed chuck for a lathe. If I'm just drilling a hole,
keyless is just fine. Putting a tap in the keyless
and tapping wouldn't be a problem because you are
still going forward. But when you put the lathe
in reverse to remove the tap, would the tap
loosen in the chuck? I would assume that there
is less resistance pulling the tap out, so maybe
it wouldn't loosen. Also I assume if it did
loosen, the worse that could happen is I'd
have to remove the tap by hand.

So I'm looking to those with the experience
to help me decide.

Thanks,
Wayne

Occasionally the keyless chuck (Albrecht)loosens up when reversing.
All I do is put a little tightening torque on it by hand while reversing
and it holds fine. I'd never give up the keyless just for this reason.
michael

Wayne wrote:

Sometime back one of our esteemed members posted that
if his machine had reverse, that he would only use a
keyed chuck on that machine.

I've been pretty much spoiled by keyless chucks.
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a keyless or
keyed chuck for a lathe. If I'm just drilling a hole,
keyless is just fine. Putting a tap in the keyless
and tapping wouldn't be a problem because you are
still going forward. But when you put the lathe
in reverse to remove the tap, would the tap
loosen in the chuck? I would assume that there
is less resistance pulling the tap out, so maybe
it wouldn't loosen. Also I assume if it did
loosen, the worse that could happen is I'd
have to remove the tap by hand.

So I'm looking to those with the experience
to help me decide.

Thanks,
Wayne

Depending on the size of taps you are using, keyless can be a good or
not so good choice. Every time the grip is loosened by the action of the
tool, whether from reversal or slipping in forward, the chuck jaws get
some amount of damage. An Albrecht is an expensive tap holder. I'm not
saying I don't use my Albrechts to tap, just use discretion.

Some time ago, when using a 3/4" keyed chuck to hold 7/8 and 23 mm taps
in the tailstock to tap chromo, I would get slippage. On investigation,
I learned that Morse taper tap drivers have been available since before
I was born.g Look ma, no more slippage.

michael

John Manders

You can often improve a keyless chuck that releases too
easily. Disassemble and degrease the parts. Check for
burnishing on the conical surface inside the hood where the
jaws ride. Scuff up that surface with crocus if you can see
shiny tracks from the jaws. Relube the parts before
reassembling, but do not get any grease on the inside of
the hood or the mating surface of the jaws.

Ned Simmons

Ned,
Translation for us Brits please.
What is crocus?

John

Andrew Mawson

"John Manders" wrote in message
You can often improve a keyless chuck that releases too
easily. Disassemble and degrease the parts. Check for
burnishing on the conical surface inside the hood where the
jaws ride. Scuff up that surface with crocus if you can see
shiny tracks from the jaws. Relube the parts before
reassembling, but do not get any grease on the inside of
the hood or the mating surface of the jaws.

Ned Simmons

Ned,
Translation for us Brits please.
What is crocus?

John

Presumably crocus powder or jewellers rouge - a very fine abrasive
consisting of ferric oxide

Andrew Mawson
Bromley, Kent, UK

Gunner

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:01:09 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"John Manders" wrote in message
You can often improve a keyless chuck that releases too
easily. Disassemble and degrease the parts. Check for
burnishing on the conical surface inside the hood where the
jaws ride. Scuff up that surface with crocus if you can see
shiny tracks from the jaws. Relube the parts before
reassembling, but do not get any grease on the inside of
the hood or the mating surface of the jaws.

Ned Simmons

Ned,
Translation for us Brits please.
What is crocus?

John

Presumably crocus powder or jewellers rouge - a very fine abrasive
consisting of ferric oxide

Andrew Mawson
Bromley, Kent, UK

Crocus (cloth) is a (US?) generic term often used interchangeably with
emery paper or cloth. In my neck of the woods, it means the fine version
of the long thin rolls of abrasive.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Crocus (cloth) is a (US?) generic term often used interchangeably with
emery paper or cloth. In my neck of the woods, it means the fine version
of the long thin rolls of abrasive.

Crocus cloth is actually thin cloth charged with a layer of
fine iron oxide rouge.

Emery is a specific mineral that used to be used for
abrasive paper, but I think it is almost never used any
more. There is an old emery mine near here that was
being used as a quarry to supply crushed rock, the owners
were under pressure to abandon it because it is in a
residential area.

They claimed they were still mining emery, as this would have
been an original use and would be permitted under zoning.
But the vast quantity of rock being removed told otherwise.

Jim

please reply to:

Martin H. Eastburn

The Crocus cloth I got out of Dad was very fine material and was for polishing
Brass.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn