Martin H. Eastburn

Default Tapping with keyless chuck on lathe

The Crocus cloth I got out of Dad was very fine material and was for polishing
Brass.
Martin

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:01:09 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"John Manders" wrote in message

You can often improve a keyless chuck that releases too
easily. Disassemble and degrease the parts. Check for
burnishing on the conical surface inside the hood where the
jaws ride. Scuff up that surface with crocus if you can see
shiny tracks from the jaws. Relube the parts before
reassembling, but do not get any grease on the inside of
the hood or the mating surface of the jaws.

Ned Simmons

Ned,
Translation for us Brits please.
What is crocus?

John

Presumably crocus powder or jewellers rouge - a very fine abrasive
consisting of ferric oxide

Andrew Mawson
Bromley, Kent, UK

Crocus (cloth) is a (US?) generic term often used interchangeably with
emery paper or cloth. In my neck of the woods, it means the fine version
of the long thin rolls of abrasive.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden."
Strider

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer