Vinny

Default Newbie Lathe Chuck Question

I have an 8 inch 3 jaw scroll chuck (made in Poland) on my enco 1340
bench lathe. The Chuck keeps on jamming due to small brass chips that
accumulate in the scrolls. I have to dis-assemble the chuck to clear
out the chips. I do not use any lube/oil in my work. is there a trick
to keep them out ?. most of the lathes work is drilling through holes
in 12 inch long x 1.25 inch Hex stock.

TIA
Jim Brown

Greetings:

I've tried all three of these when turning cast iron and want to keep the
mess out of my chuck. Take a piece of rubber inner tube with a stretch fit
over the chuck, thus making an open ended 'boot' (condom?) for the chuck.
If a single piece doesn't have the shape you need, fit up several pieces
using rubber adhesive. Alternatively, use a circular rubber sheet with
center hole stretch fit to stock; attach large diameter around chuck with
stick-on velcro. If sheet is thick enough, it may be stiff enough to act as
a dam without attaching large diameter. It may not need to match the big
diameter of the chuck. Watch where your chips fly and make it only as big
as needed to block them. Sort of like a rat dam on a ship's mooring hauser.

Regards, Jim Brown

"Vinny" wrote in message
I have an 8 inch 3 jaw scroll chuck (made in Poland) on my enco 1340
bench lathe. The Chuck keeps on jamming due to small brass chips that
accumulate in the scrolls. I have to dis-assemble the chuck to clear
out the chips. I do not use any lube/oil in my work. is there a trick
to keep them out ?. most of the lathes work is drilling through holes
in 12 inch long x 1.25 inch Hex stock.

TIA

Chuck taper question Peter Grey Metalworking 2 March 13th 04 03:48 PM
Lathe Question Jack Metalworking 29 February 9th 04 01:50 AM
Camloc D1-3 chuck question Alan Raisanen Metalworking 1 January 1st 04 04:16 AM
wanted: 8" 3 jaw chuck with/without 2 1/4 x 8 backplate, OR buy my lathe bill yohler Metalworking 2 December 12th 03 07:57 PM
Cuemaking-Metal Lathe Chuck Question? J. Alan Metalworking 6 August 9th 03 02:07 AM