Ned Simmons

Default Tapping with keyless chuck on lathe

In article 51701a28.0405121708.78d0be37
@posting.google.com, says...
Sometime back one of our esteemed members posted that
if his machine had reverse, that he would only use a
keyed chuck on that machine.

I regularly power tap up to 3/8-16 in the mill with a 1/2"
Albrecht chuck--it works just fine. (Before installing a
VFD I plug reversed with a static converter for many years
when power tapping, which is also contrary to RCM dogma.)

A keyless chuck that's worn and/or been greased in the
wrong places may cause problems. The chuck will feel
springy when being tightened and release too easily when
reversed.

Ned Simmons