jj3000

Default keyless chuck drill now does not grip , err

You know I wasn't even thinking when I bought the drill, just a
craftsman one about $50, I beleive the term is keyless chuck so you
use your hand to tighten, instead of a key.

I usually drill plastic or aluminum so it didn't show the weakness

Well after one weekend of steel work fabrication. The chuck doesn't
seem to grip the drill bit very well anymore. i.e. the bit stuck in
the metal and the chuck just spins/

I was wondering if I can convert the chunk to use a key, or replace
the fingers in the key. What is the problem? Sure the drill bits are
a bit more dull causing more fiction. But this is to a point where it
is not usable anymore.
John D. Farr

"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
You know I wasn't even thinking when I bought the drill, just a
craftsman one about $50, I beleive the term is keyless chuck so you
use your hand to tighten, instead of a key.

I usually drill plastic or aluminum so it didn't show the weakness

Well after one weekend of steel work fabrication. The chuck doesn't
seem to grip the drill bit very well anymore. i.e. the bit stuck in
the metal and the chuck just spins/

I was wondering if I can convert the chunk to use a key, or replace
the fingers in the key. What is the problem? Sure the drill bits are
a bit more dull causing more fiction. But this is to a point where it
is not usable anymore.

Jeremy: I had the same problem with my Dewalt. It uses a standard 3/8 inch
thread so I replaced it with a conventional chuck. It was a disaster. I now
firmly believe that the cordless drills went with a keyless chuck because
there is no place to tie down the key. I couldn't keep up with the little
******* even for a few minutes. I've changed mine back and now pull out my
old Milwaukee corded drill whenever there is even a hint of real work to be
done.

John

Karl Townsend

Jeremy: I had the same problem with my Dewalt. It uses a standard 3/8 inch
thread so I replaced it with a conventional chuck. It was a disaster. I

now

My Dewalt keyless chuck is about shot too. Is there a small left hand bolt
down in the bottom of the chuck to remove before you unscrew the chuck? (My
other drills have this) On my Dewalt, I don't see how I'd hold the drill
from turning to break the chuck loose - how'd you do that? I'm sure its on
TIGHT.

Karl

jtaylor

John D. Farr wrote in message

Jeremy: I had the same problem with my Dewalt. It uses a standard 3/8 inch
thread so I replaced it with a conventional chuck. It was a disaster. I

now
firmly believe that the cordless drills went with a keyless chuck because
there is no place to tie down the key. I couldn't keep up with the little
******* even for a few minutes. I've changed mine back and now pull out my
old Milwaukee corded drill whenever there is even a hint of real work to

be
done.

I have a little Makita cordless with a clip mounted in a recess - the key
fits in there.

Bob Engelhardt

Karl Townsend wrote:
... On my Dewalt, I don't see how I'd hold the drill
from turning to break the chuck loose - how'd you do that? ...

Chuck up a hefty hex key, 1/4" say, with the short arm in the chuck.
Give the long arm a whack with a hammer. The inertia of the drill will
hold it long enough to loosen the chuck. Works a treat!

Bob

jim

jj3000 wrote:

You know I wasn't even thinking when I bought the drill, just a
craftsman one about $50, I beleive the term is keyless chuck so you
use your hand to tighten, instead of a key.

I usually drill plastic or aluminum so it didn't show the weakness

Well after one weekend of steel work fabrication. The chuck doesn't
seem to grip the drill bit very well anymore. i.e. the bit stuck in
the metal and the chuck just spins/

I was wondering if I can convert the chunk to use a key, or replace
the fingers in the key. What is the problem? Sure the drill bits are
a bit more dull causing more fiction. But this is to a point where it
is not usable anymore.

probably just dirt inside th chuck thats not letting it turn and tighten
too much....
Jeff Wisnia

jj3000 wrote:
You know I wasn't even thinking when I bought the drill, just a
craftsman one about $50, I beleive the term is keyless chuck so you
use your hand to tighten, instead of a key.

I usually drill plastic or aluminum so it didn't show the weakness

Well after one weekend of steel work fabrication. The chuck doesn't
seem to grip the drill bit very well anymore. i.e. the bit stuck in
the metal and the chuck just spins/

I was wondering if I can convert the chunk to use a key, or replace
the fingers in the key. What is the problem? Sure the drill bits are
a bit more dull causing more fiction. But this is to a point where it
is not usable anymore.

This belongs in the category of adding insult to injury, but maybe one
of these HF "chuck converters" would let you get a better grip on the
tightening sleeve of your keyless chuck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6902

Otherwise, how about using a couple of those rubber strap wrenches to
tighten the chuck? HF often has 'em for sale for as low as $3.99 a pair,
and their size and bright colored handles would make them less likely to
get lost than a conventional chuck key. (Ducking....)

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

jj3000

Actually, mine is a corded drill, great torque. I see in sears
website they list a 3/8" keyed chuck. Hopefully this is a direct
replacement for me!

But yeah I am never buying a keyless again.

"John D. Farr" wrote in message ...
"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
[...]

jj3000

Default keyless chuck drill now does not grip {now how to replace}

Can someone help me, I am trying to replace my craftsman corded drill
(keyless chuck) with a jacob keyed chuck.

I look into the drill expecting a screw of some sort, but I only found
a circle recessed in the middle, doesn't look to much like a hex
socket head screw at all.

How do I remove the original chuck?
Martin H. Eastburn

jj3000 wrote:
You know I wasn't even thinking when I bought the drill, just a
craftsman one about $50, I beleive the term is keyless chuck so you
use your hand to tighten, instead of a key.

I usually drill plastic or aluminum so it didn't show the weakness

Well after one weekend of steel work fabrication. The chuck doesn't
seem to grip the drill bit very well anymore. i.e. the bit stuck in
the metal and the chuck just spins/

I was wondering if I can convert the chunk to use a key, or replace
the fingers in the key. What is the problem? Sure the drill bits are
a bit more dull causing more fiction. But this is to a point where it
is not usable anymore.

Might be the instructions or lack thereof.

My drill told me in certain terms - DON'T tighten the chuck by holding
the chuck and turning on the drill.

The proper method is to insert drill and turn. the chuck will click one
or more times as it gets tight. That locks it down.

Mine mentioned the chuck can get damaged if done the 'wrong way'.
(I did my old one the 'wrong way' but then the chuck was not the highest
grade.

Try that =- it works.

Martin

--