DoN. Nichols

Default Tapping with keyless chuck on lathe

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:32:38 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

In article 51701a28.0405121708.78d0be37
, says...

[ ... ]

A keyless chuck that's worn and/or been greased in the
wrong places may cause problems. The chuck will feel
springy when being tightened and release too easily when
reversed.

Ned Simmons

Ive pretty much stopped using keyless chucks on my mills when tapping as
it seems they nearly always slip for me. So Ive reglegated them to the
drill press or drilling only..which can be a problem as Ive a lot of
screw machine drill bits (left handed)

There are special Albrecht chucks with diamond grit in the jaw
faces, designed to grip hardened shanks like mill shanks or taps.

There are also Albrecht chucks with a locking ring to prevent
unintended loosening.

However, swapping in a Jacobs geared chuck is cheaper. :-)

And I would use a TapMatic tapping head on the mill, just as I
do on the drill press -- unless I had a CNC which could measure the
angular rotation of the spindle, and feed proportionally, and do the
same in reverse for rigid tapping.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |