Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Automatic screw driving

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

Take a look at the auto feeding screw guns used for fastening subfloors
in house construction, should give you some ideas. Can't think of a
brand offhand, but just look at the ads in a copy of Fine Home Building
and you should find a few. I think Senco has one.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Tue, 16 May 2006 13:42:53 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Contact the vendors/manufactureres of automatic screw driving
equipment. They have the expertise. Supply them with sample
parts and prints and they will come up with a "turn key"
solution.

Having been there and done that -- for best results you will most
likely need to change the head style of the screw -- from slotted
to pozi or one of the newer styles to eliminate cam out. For
some reason the product design people will oppose this
vehemently. When evaluating prices, remember it is the total
piece part cost and not the individual operation/component cost
that counts.

Also the quality of the screws will become critical with the
automatic equipment. Save yourself a bunch of problems and
specify camcar or other specific brand name on the engineering
print and possibly the sampling plan.

see:
http://www.designtoolinc.com/DTI5K.html
http://www.depragusa.com/
http://www.vibromatic.net/
and a bunch more at
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/au...2207004-1.html

You may also want to examine replacing the screws with driver
rivets if disassembly/service is not an issue. Tamper proof,
faster, and cheaper.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

wrote:

[...]

Good info, thanks! You're right on with me doing a "turn-key" set-up, I'ts
worth ponying up the money up front and not take this on as a project with
the experts already out there. The pay-back will be quick as the labor is
costing me $1k+ a month. I'd like to see the machine opperator fill the
brush, drill the handle holes, (already automated) screw on the handle and
pack the brushes 12 to a box. I will make it lucrative to the opperator.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

I think Leigh at MarMachine has a screw driving setup for sale. One
of those parallelagram arraingments with a geared air powered
screwdriver fixed on the end so it always remains exactly vertical.
Operator sticks screw in hole, brings driver down, pushes button.
Repeats

I just called him. Its a tapper. Should work..but has no torque
clutch. Might rip off screw heads if you dont have controlled air
supply.

Then there is this....

http://www.deprag.com/english/index.htm (I think this may fit your
needs, particularly if you make a jig. Jigs make hiring winos off the
street a more viable option G

And of course...

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/screwguns/674220.htm

Now if you want fancy.....

http://www.deprag.com/english/index.htm

http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_prod...kscrew_system/

http://www.dgindustries.com/screwfeed.html

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

[...]

I know of the available guns, I need to automate to the point of the
opperator dropping a handle into the jig, then a brush, then push a button
to have two screws fed and driven then the opperator puts it in a box. No
handeling of screws or handling a driver, just dumop a box of screws into a
feeder once in a while. I hate it when I'm told to drop what I'm doing and
do something hotter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 16 May 2006 17:09:30 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

[...]

Then call Deprag and tell em your needs. Just be sitting down on
something with a back when you read the quote.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

================
From your responses to the follow-ups it may be time to
re-evaluate your product. Is there any need to remove the
handle? If not, your best bet may be to eliminate the screws and
use what are called drive screws.

see:
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w58.htm
http://www.smithfast.com/udrivescrew.html
http://www.instockfasteners.com/PROD...rivescrews.asp
and a bunch more.

Depending on your production levels you can go several ways.
(1) slide fixture that operator loads brush, handle and screws.
(2) slide fixture that operator loads brush and handle with drive
screws fed from syntron hopper
(3) shuttle table with two fixtures with automatic screw feed --
load one while the screws are driven on the other
(3) rotary index table with automatic screw feed.

Given that you want the operator to pack 12 to a box start with
the slide fixture [keeps operator's hands/fingers out of danger]
with manual drive screw insertion -- magnetic holders should work
fine.

If this works out (and production requires) you can upgrade to
automatic drive screw feed with little problems.

If you go this route and use pneumatic cylinders to seat the
drive screws I strongly suggest a enclosure and lock for the air
pressure regulator. For some reason the operators/foremen always
set the pressure as high as possible and start breaking things,
possibly because the machine seems to cycle faster.

Be careful of all pinch points and use double button [two hand]
controls with anti-tie down to prevent any accidents and/or OSHA
problems.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

================
From your responses to the follow-ups it may be time to
[...]

I remember drive screws, we used to attach a steel scraper to a brush 30
years ago and haven't used them since but what a GREAT idea! They should
work for the wood and plastic handles too. Now, what do I drive them with?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

Hi Tom,

I've worked on several projects with very similar requirements for a door
and window making client.

As mentioned elsewhere - be sitting down when you get quotes back with bowl
feeders and auto screwfeed systems. We used Weber systems. All the screws
driven were phillips head sheetmetal screws into either aluminum or wood.
Expensive, German, Nice. The client specified Webers and had several
hundred of them in use. Had some problems with them only once regarding
promised delivery dates on a custom setup. Having said that, we bought
several different systems from them and the only one that was late was a
custom version of their newest product offering. Would still recommend
them. IIRC I have some additional info in my bound book from those projects
if you would like more...

High production with low operator fatigue/chance of injury are very
attainable.

Another manufacurer that serves the industry is Atlas-Copco. Haven't used
them but they have a good reputation. I know of an automotive transmission
manufacturing plant that uses higher end Atlas-Copco fastening systems
throughout and maintains exhaustive records of every single fastener
installed, including torque and some other (to them) important details. All
digital, no hand tracking. Crazy expensive but worth it to them for quality
purposes. I have a catalog at work with info on their line ranging from
standalone screwdrivers with hand fed screws to the digital output versions.
Will look up contact info if you are interested.

As yet another option, you might look at the "Stickscrew" system if you
haven't already. I wish I'd had the chance to use them on a project. No
such luck but it might be a fit for your application. Uses scews that are
made from barstock and are still attatched end to end when you load them in
the gun. Eliminates the bowl feeder (a $10k-18k option) and the feeding lag
time. www.pemnet.com I see Gunner posted the same link - ya beat me to it!
Sure looks cool...

As mentioned by George elsewhere in the thread, Deprag seems to be a big
player as well (if their level of advertising in Assembly magazine is any
indicator) but I have no experience with their product to comment on.

hth,
StaticsJason

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"StaticsJason" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I see enough to present a proposal to start the process of tackling
this problem. I know it's going to cost big bucks but the pay back is
there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:45:24 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

================
From your responses to the follow-ups it may be time to
[...]

Arbor press with a free spinning taper bearing on the end?

On the other hand....Ive got a **** load of decent sized air cylinders
and solenoids and manifolds and stuff. Maybe even a foot pedal or
two, but you need dual pushbuttons as safeties if this is going to be
operated by a person.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:30:51 -0500, "StaticsJason"
wrote:

Another manufacurer that serves the industry is Atlas-Copco. Haven't used
them but they have a good reputation. I know of an automotive transmission
manufacturing plant that uses higher end

My air powered screwdriver is an Atlas Copco. Yellow one. I keep
forgetting to look up how to adjust the torque high limit.

Thanks for reminding me

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

================
From your responses to the follow-ups it may be time to
[...]

Many of the same people that sell the screw inserter equipment
also sell drive screw inserters. Also the drive screw suppliers
should either sell the equipment or know who does.

Hydraulic and pneumatic drive is available. Compressed air will
cost more than the electricity for the hydraulic over the long
run but the initial cost of the pneumatic drivers is lower. I
have seen long stroke electric solenoids used, but it is
difficult to control insertion speed. (too fast can cause
splitting and stripping in wood and plastic)

Production volumes, cost and difficulty of set-up/change-over
will determine how much automation you want to invest in.

Gunner's idea of using a hand operated arbor press (or even a
kick press if you can find one) is a good idea for initial
testing and evaluation, and can be a real life saver when you
need a 1/2 dozen of something and you are in the middle of a long
run of another part number on the automated equipment.

It may be worthwhile to phase in the amount of automation in the
assembly operation. For example, automatic feeding of the drive
screws will be expensive, and you may want to have the operator
manually load the drive screws in addition to the other parts to
start.

You may well wind up with several assembly stations and machines
for different production levels, from Gunner's arbor/kick press
for short runs/specials, to a rotary table or shuttle fixture
machine with automatic screw feeding/insertion for the high
volume items.

On drive screws, not only is the insertion pressure critical but
also the insertion rate (especially in wood and plastic), thus
you generally need both pressure regulator and flow control
valves. As indicated before, the air pressure regulator and flow
control valves will need to be secured from operator/foreman
"adjustment."

Most likely you will want to press to a positive stop. You may
also need to include "cycle complete" circuitry to insure that
the press cycled to the full depth to seat the drive screws.

It is good to see that we can still make things here in the USA.

Do a "Paul Harvey" and let us know the rest of the story....

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:28:22 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Production volumes, cost and difficulty of set-up/change-over
will determine how much automation you want to invest in.

Gunner's idea of using a hand operated arbor press (or even a
kick press if you can find one) is a good idea for initial
testing and evaluation, and can be a real life saver when you
need a 1/2 dozen of something and you are in the middle of a long
run of another part number on the automated equipment.

I have a kickpress, converted to pnuematic if anyone needs one.

Gunner

screw keeps turning dundonald UK diy 15 October 26th 18 07:18 AM
Is screw too soft ? pogo Metalworking 13 March 6th 06 07:42 PM
New Clifton Chip Breaker - Old Stanley Screw Won't Fit Ted Franklin Woodworking 4 February 20th 06 02:34 AM
screw load / mounting plasma to wall Home Repair 14 February 5th 06 06:33 PM
Electrical: when are loops at screw terminals allowed? Wayne Whitney Home Repair 16 April 14th 05 01:26 AM