Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
StaticsJason

Default Automatic screw driving

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

Hi Tom,

I've worked on several projects with very similar requirements for a door
and window making client.

As mentioned elsewhere - be sitting down when you get quotes back with bowl
feeders and auto screwfeed systems. We used Weber systems. All the screws
driven were phillips head sheetmetal screws into either aluminum or wood.
Expensive, German, Nice. The client specified Webers and had several
hundred of them in use. Had some problems with them only once regarding
promised delivery dates on a custom setup. Having said that, we bought
several different systems from them and the only one that was late was a
custom version of their newest product offering. Would still recommend
them. IIRC I have some additional info in my bound book from those projects
if you would like more...

High production with low operator fatigue/chance of injury are very
attainable.

Another manufacurer that serves the industry is Atlas-Copco. Haven't used
them but they have a good reputation. I know of an automotive transmission
manufacturing plant that uses higher end Atlas-Copco fastening systems
throughout and maintains exhaustive records of every single fastener
installed, including torque and some other (to them) important details. All
digital, no hand tracking. Crazy expensive but worth it to them for quality
purposes. I have a catalog at work with info on their line ranging from
standalone screwdrivers with hand fed screws to the digital output versions.
Will look up contact info if you are interested.

As yet another option, you might look at the "Stickscrew" system if you
haven't already. I wish I'd had the chance to use them on a project. No
such luck but it might be a fit for your application. Uses scews that are
made from barstock and are still attatched end to end when you load them in
the gun. Eliminates the bowl feeder (a $10k-18k option) and the feeding lag
time. www.pemnet.com I see Gunner posted the same link - ya beat me to it!
Sure looks cool...

As mentioned by George elsewhere in the thread, Deprag seems to be a big
player as well (if their level of advertising in Assembly magazine is any
indicator) but I have no experience with their product to comment on.

hth,
StaticsJason