Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Automatic screw driving

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:45:24 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 May 2006 13:42:53 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I just recieved a mandate to automate a fastening opperation. We have to
drive two #10 x 1-3/4" SMCs to hold this handle. This has become a
full-time job, so it's a high priority and high budget because the job is
menial and high risk of repetitive motion injury.

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...FS4067600.html

================
From your responses to the follow-ups it may be time to
re-evaluate your product. Is there any need to remove the
handle? If not, your best bet may be to eliminate the screws and
use what are called drive screws.

see:
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w58.htm
http://www.smithfast.com/udrivescrew.html
http://www.instockfasteners.com/PROD...rivescrews.asp
and a bunch more.

Depending on your production levels you can go several ways.
(1) slide fixture that operator loads brush, handle and screws.
(2) slide fixture that operator loads brush and handle with drive
screws fed from syntron hopper
(3) shuttle table with two fixtures with automatic screw feed --
load one while the screws are driven on the other
(3) rotary index table with automatic screw feed.

Given that you want the operator to pack 12 to a box start with
the slide fixture [keeps operator's hands/fingers out of danger]
with manual drive screw insertion -- magnetic holders should work
fine.

If this works out (and production requires) you can upgrade to
automatic drive screw feed with little problems.

If you go this route and use pneumatic cylinders to seat the
drive screws I strongly suggest a enclosure and lock for the air
pressure regulator. For some reason the operators/foremen always
set the pressure as high as possible and start breaking things,
possibly because the machine seems to cycle faster.

Be careful of all pinch points and use double button [two hand]
controls with anti-tie down to prevent any accidents and/or OSHA
problems.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

I remember drive screws, we used to attach a steel scraper to a brush 30
years ago and haven't used them since but what a GREAT idea! They should
work for the wood and plastic handles too. Now, what do I drive them with?

Arbor press with a free spinning taper bearing on the end?

On the other hand....Ive got a **** load of decent sized air cylinders
and solenoids and manifolds and stuff. Maybe even a foot pedal or
two, but you need dual pushbuttons as safeties if this is going to be
operated by a person.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33