Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default More screwdrivers

Awl--

Apropos of the fairly interesting thread on screwdrivers on ahr, I
dee-clared that the 4,5,6-in-1 'drivers I was crowing about do not accept
the 1/4" hex tips for screwgurns, multi-tipped drivers, chapman's, etc.
The 4,5-in-1's indeed do not--barrel is too big.
However, the smaller end of the 6-in-1 *does* accept these std tips!
BUT,
the barrel is sorta deep, so you would have to put in a stop rod of sorts,
to get the proper tip protrusion for tips less than about 1.5" long. A small
screw would do. The longer tips will be fine.

The one carried by Nat Wh Liq is called Black & Sage--$2.99, iirc..
I got another one locally w/ a more cushioned handle called, iDriver--yeah,
digital.... about $5 or so. I'm sure dat "i" accounted for at least two of
those dollars.

Both quite acceptable quality, hollow-ground slotted tips.

Some 99c stores carry these, in an orange handle, but the quality is really
miserable. Much as my mission in life is to equip my shop solely thru 99c
shops, these just don't cut it.

BUT, the 99c red earmuffs are *just as good* as the $20 industrial
jobbies--did an A/B comparison. Then bought 10.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message ...
[...]

Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Not in yardsales in/around goddammNYC, jack.
These g-d Westchester/NYC Yupsters will charge top dollar for their g-d
belly lint.

Also, quality 99c shopping depends on how big yer local ghetto is.
Despite the urgent and frenetic gentrification going on around here, we
still have sizable high-quality ghettos (ie, ample
drugs/prostitution/guns/home invasions/break dancing in the middle of a
6-lane thoroughfare), and therefore perty well-stocked 99c shops.
Sheeeiit, bruh, OUR 99c shops even have their own parking lots! 'Course,
it's not entirely advisable to park there....

But the rule to effective 99c shopping is dis:
Never buy anything where heat treating is important.
Which includes screwdriver tips.
Or anything that requires a perfect 90 deg angle, like a shop square.
But, if what you need is 87 degrees, then a 99c shop is indeed a perfect
place to buy a square.

HTH.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:11:09 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

[...]

Surprise!

There are a few tools at the 99c that will probably last, but I forget
what they are.

And I recently bought a cylinder of salt at one of those stores. I
was pretty sure I was overpaying, and sure enough, it's 45 cents at
the supermarket. (Although I had forgotten twice at the supermarket,
and I really wanted to have some salt.)

Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

"mm" wrote in message
Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

They go quick if they are good. You have to check frequently.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

If there is a craigslist for your city, that can be an excellent place to find tools.
http://www.craigslist.org/ - look for your city on the right of the page.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

If you value your time and the inconvenience factor, even without
considering the price of gasoline, those "garage sale" tools can cost you
more than the priciest ones available from good hardware stores. Ebay would
be a better choice than garage sales.

Bob Swinney
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"mm" wrote in message
Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better
prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

They go quick if they are good. You have to check frequently.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

If there is a craigslist for your city, that can be an excellent place to
find tools.
http://www.craigslist.org/ - look for your city on the right of the page.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:36:59 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

They go quick if they are good. You have to check frequently.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

If there is a craigslist for your city, that can be an excellent place to find tools.
http://www.craigslist.org/ - look for your city on the right of the page.

Bob

Retirement communities are a good place for second hand tools. Poppa
is fresh in the ground and Mom is getting rid of his Stuff.
Working areas..blue collar are good also. Don't bother with "The
Houses on the Hill" areas..in my experience..very very few tools of
any sort.

Swap meets (boot sales to our British cousins) are excellent places if
you can haggle.

Gunner, who got a Sawzall at a St. Vincents de Paul for $10 cause it
had a bad plug.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams

adjustable torque air screwdrivers Bill Chernoff Metalworking 11 February 26th 06 03:42 AM
Japanese Industrial Standard phillips screwdrivers??? A Electronics Repair 6 August 1st 05 03:41 PM
Screwdrivers Doki UK diy 2 August 24th 03 08:40 PM
drills / screwdrivers Ginger_neil UK diy 9 July 28th 03 12:08 AM