Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm

Default More screwdrivers

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:11:09 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message ...
Awl--

Apropos of the fairly interesting thread on screwdrivers on ahr, I
dee-clared that the 4,5,6-in-1 'drivers I was crowing about do not accept
the 1/4" hex tips for screwgurns, multi-tipped drivers, chapman's, etc.
The 4,5-in-1's indeed do not--barrel is too big.
However, the smaller end of the 6-in-1 *does* accept these std tips!
BUT,
the barrel is sorta deep, so you would have to put in a stop rod of sorts,
to get the proper tip protrusion for tips less than about 1.5" long. A small
screw would do. The longer tips will be fine.

The one carried by Nat Wh Liq is called Black & Sage--$2.99, iirc..
I got another one locally w/ a more cushioned handle called, iDriver--yeah,
digital.... about $5 or so. I'm sure dat "i" accounted for at least two of
those dollars.

Both quite acceptable quality, hollow-ground slotted tips.

Some 99c stores carry these, in an orange handle, but the quality is really
miserable. Much as my mission in life is to equip my shop solely thru 99c
shops, these just don't cut it.

Surprise!

There are a few tools at the 99c that will probably last, but I forget
what they are.

And I recently bought a cylinder of salt at one of those stores. I
was pretty sure I was overpaying, and sure enough, it's 45 cents at
the supermarket. (Although I had forgotten twice at the supermarket,
and I really wanted to have some salt.)

Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

Bob