Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Chernoff

Default adjustable torque air screwdrivers

Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you
recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need
to be recharged too often.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Chernoff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Bill Chernoff wrote:

Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you
recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need
to be recharged too often.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Chernoff

If the electric screwdrivers are doing the job, consider removing the
batteries and connecting them to a "real" power supply. Can probably
boost the voltage 10% as well for a little more power. Should be a lot
cheaper than the good air screwdrivers.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

I'll add to that as the wire will be a lot more flexiblle than the air line.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

On the day of Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:48:33 -0800...
"Bob May"
typed these letters:

I'll add to that as the wire will be a lot more flexiblle than the air line.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Plus... An air compressor will cost more to run than the electric
screwdrivers. Unless you are already running a compressor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I have an electric production screwdriver that I bought but can't use for my
needs I paid $40 on eBay and would gladly sell it for that, It's a serious
piece and will need a balancer. Let me know.

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can
you
recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and
need
to be recharged too often.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Chernoff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Bill Chernoff wrote:
Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you
recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need
to be recharged too often.

Believe it or not, the following has
worked for us for about 7 years with
no problems.

1. Buy $12.00 Skill rechargeable screwdriver.

2. Take it apart, throw away nicad, wire switch
directly to charger jack.

3. Make a cord to go between charging jack and
old PC-XT power supply.

4. Connect to common and + 5 volts.

The adjustable torque "feature" is your hand.
You can learn to hold the screwdriver so that
when the correct torque is hit, the screwdriver
twists in your hand taking your thumb off the
switch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart wrote:

Bill Chernoff wrote:

[...]

One minor update...

Strike out "throw away" and substiture "dispose
off properly"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

Bill Chernoff wrote:

Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air
screwdrivers? Can you recommend a brand?

We used to use HIOS electric torque screwdrivers when I
worked in electronic assembly. They run off a power supply
that plugs into the wall, so you don't have to worry about
batteries dying on you. They worked quite well. The only
problem was that they weren't marked very precisely for
torque settings -- you'd either have to buy a torque
calibrator or send them out to a lab to set them
accurately.

--
-- Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
| Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can
you
| recommend a brand?
|
| I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.
|
| I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
| what level of torque we need...
|
| We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and
need
| to be recharged too often.
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Bill Chernoff

At work I use Cleco, Ingersol Rand, Atlas Copco, and a few other brands
of screwguns and nutrunners. Ours are all fixed calibration due to the
precise nature of the game, but you can also get them in adjustable. Not
cheap, but they run down fast and stop clean. You won't see this on the
basic information in all the catalogs, but some folks are particular about
whether they run any time the trigger is pulled or run only when the trigger
is pulled and the driver pushed down, telling it there's work to do. The
Cleco brand I like won't run until you press down with the fastener and
trigger pulled, and once torqued off will require tool lifting and
repressing to hit it again, which may or may not be a good thing for you.
Do a search for pneumatic screw drivers or similar on ebay. The stuff
marketed to aviation will have a lot more stable torque range, which for a
4-40 I assume you want. Of course with functionality comes price...

You can adjust the torque on drywall drivers....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Bill Chernoff wrote:
Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can you
recommend a brand?

I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.

I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
what level of torque we need...

We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and need
to be recharged too often.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Chernoff

You should be able to control the torque by regulating the air line
pressure on any brand . Luck
Ken Cutt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Chernoff

Thanks all for the replies.

As far as calibration, I would be happy to twist off or strip a few screws
on some test pieces, then back off the slip-clutch setting...

I forgot to mention that the electric screwdrivers we use now are too slow.
Using a plug-in power supply might solve that, but I still want the
no-brainer slip clutch.

Bill Chernoff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Normile

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 03:34:36 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:
[...]

I second the recommendation of a Cleco. I probably bought over 40 of
them for a 2 shift operation, and they were the most accurate and
trouble free brand that we had. Push to start and the clutch kicked
out at a pre-set torque that was not sensitive to air pressure. Not
cheap, but a quality, trouble free tool.

John Normile