Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default adjustable torque air screwdrivers

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
| Does anyone have experience in adjustable torque air screwdrivers? Can
you
| recommend a brand?
|
| I want to put 4-40 TC screws into an aluminum casting.
|
| I suppose I should go twist off a few screws with a torque wrench to see
| what level of torque we need...
|
| We are using electric screwdrivers now, but they are kind of wimpy and
need
| to be recharged too often.
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Bill Chernoff

At work I use Cleco, Ingersol Rand, Atlas Copco, and a few other brands
of screwguns and nutrunners. Ours are all fixed calibration due to the
precise nature of the game, but you can also get them in adjustable. Not
cheap, but they run down fast and stop clean. You won't see this on the
basic information in all the catalogs, but some folks are particular about
whether they run any time the trigger is pulled or run only when the trigger
is pulled and the driver pushed down, telling it there's work to do. The
Cleco brand I like won't run until you press down with the fastener and
trigger pulled, and once torqued off will require tool lifting and
repressing to hit it again, which may or may not be a good thing for you.
Do a search for pneumatic screw drivers or similar on ebay. The stuff
marketed to aviation will have a lot more stable torque range, which for a
4-40 I assume you want. Of course with functionality comes price...

You can adjust the torque on drywall drivers....