Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default More screwdrivers

On Wed, 10 May 2006 08:36:59 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Equiping a shop at the 99c store is just stupid. You can get better prices, and
far better tools at yard/garage sales and thrift shops.

It takes a lot of yard sales to find tools. Maybe 50 before I see one
that sells tools. Maybe 20 before I see one that sells garden tools.
Also I rarely see tools at thrift shops.

They go quick if they are good. You have to check frequently.

I'd be tempted to look in the classified ads if I needed a lot of
tools at a time, or expensive ones.

If there is a craigslist for your city, that can be an excellent place to find tools.
http://www.craigslist.org/ - look for your city on the right of the page.

Bob

Retirement communities are a good place for second hand tools. Poppa
is fresh in the ground and Mom is getting rid of his Stuff.
Working areas..blue collar are good also. Don't bother with "The
Houses on the Hill" areas..in my experience..very very few tools of
any sort.

Swap meets (boot sales to our British cousins) are excellent places if
you can haggle.

Gunner, who got a Sawzall at a St. Vincents de Paul for $10 cause it
had a bad plug.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams