Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Magnetic Granite??!!

Awl--

Wouldna bleeved had I not seed it.

Friend brought over a magnet from a hard drive (really nice strong magnet),
and BAM, stuck right to the granite base of my height gauge!
Well, actually, it's just the granite base, cuz there is no height
gauge--supplier's scrap heap, donchaknow....
And stuck perty good! wow....

Thus, boyzngerlz, thar must be iron in them thar granite hills!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

On a whim, I tried to cut a sample tile of Granite with an old plasma source.
Thought - nothing lost - this is just about junk. The plasma dug deep - almost
1/4" and started to move down the drawn line when it stopped. The melted granite
was a spear of glass.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

Wouldna bleeved had I not seed it.

Friend brought over a magnet from a hard drive (really nice strong magnet),
and BAM, stuck right to the granite base of my height gauge!
Well, actually, it's just the granite base, cuz there is no height
gauge--supplier's scrap heap, donchaknow....
And stuck perty good! wow....

Thus, boyzngerlz, thar must be iron in them thar granite hills!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

It would be interesting to know what granite was used for the base of
your height gauge. The black granite I have about shows no magnetic
attraction at all when NiFeBn magnet is placed on it. As granite is
predominantly SiO2 it would be interesting to know why the magnetic
attraction .

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Awl--

Wouldna bleeved had I not seed it.

Friend brought over a magnet from a hard drive (really nice strong magnet),
and BAM, stuck right to the granite base of my height gauge!
Well, actually, it's just the granite base, cuz there is no height
gauge--supplier's scrap heap, donchaknow....
And stuck perty good! wow....

Thus, boyzngerlz, thar must be iron in them thar granite hills!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Shopdog

Did you hear about the boy who died as a result of those type of magnets?

Seems they make toys that use the rare earth mags for attaching body parts
to one another, the child swallowed one that had fallen out. Several hours
later he found and swollwed another one. THe first one was on its way to
safely pass through the childs system but when the other one was swallowed
they did what they do best and the result was extreme pain after a day or so
and then I beleive he died after. The docs said that the mags connected thus
casuing his colon to become attached to his stomach, closing off his entire
system.

I use the hard drive mags around the shop all the time, two to hold my drill
press vise to the base when not in use.

Searcher

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

Wouldna bleeved had I not seed it.

Friend brought over a magnet from a hard drive (really nice strong magnet),
and BAM, stuck right to the granite base of my height gauge!
Well, actually, it's just the granite base, cuz there is no height
gauge--supplier's scrap heap, donchaknow....
And stuck perty good! wow....

Thus, boyzngerlz, thar must be iron in them thar granite hills!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Those hard drive magnets are very useful. I used four of them to attach
my static phase convertor to my power hacksaw. The convertor probably
weighs 25 lbs, but four magnets hold it quite adequately. It avoided the
nightmare of trying to drill and tap holes in the machine.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

It would be interesting to know what granite was used for the base of
your height gauge. The black granite I have about shows no magnetic
attraction at all when NiFeBn magnet is placed on it. As granite is
predominantly SiO2 it would be interesting to know why the magnetic
attraction.

Given the strength of these magnets I could believe it was just being
attracted to a steel fitting in the centre of the height gauge base. Is
this possible, or was it definitely being attracted to the granite?

Chris

Around here (east Clackamas County, Oregon) you can wander around with a
magnet and pick up gravel.

Iron's a pretty common element, which has a lot to do with why steel is
so cheap.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Stones, incl. gemstones, are perty pedestrian, chemically speaking.
I remember seeing the formulas for various gemstones in Erf Science, and
feeling quite deflated, a little cheated, by the mundanity of them all.
SiO2, Al2O3, peppered w/ various metal ions, such as potassium, sodium,
beryllium, boron, etc. And, apparently, iron.
Ultimately super-expensive glass and grinding wheels, w/ impurities!!!

And in the case of diamond, just goddamm Carbon!! And thermodynamically
*unstable* C, at that!!
Altho, the various colored diamonds must have another metal stuck somewhere
in the crystal lattice, which probably reduces the hardness somewhat.

Compared w/ organic molecules, such as chlorophyll, the porphyrin ring in
hemoglobin, vit B12, and other structures, stones are perty plain.

Nickel is weakly magnetic, as well. Also liquid oxygen, and a cupla other
things. Someone mentioned Bn? What's dat??

As far as metal in the granite base, I don't believe there is any, as I
cain't see any and the magnet sticks uniformly over the whole surface.
Metal would likely produce local attractions.

You can detect the magnetic properties w/ a good telescoping pickup wand,
but not as nice as with one of those hard drive mags. Need a high mag
strength/weight ratio to really see the effect.

Could be that magnetic granite is crappy granite. Chinese base,
donchaknow...

But at any rate, it will be an interesting past-time to see what rocks are
magnetic around here!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"David Billington" wrote in message
It would be interesting to know what granite was used for the base of your
height gauge. The black granite I have about shows no magnetic attraction
at all when NiFeBn magnet is placed on it. As granite is predominantly
SiO2 it would be interesting to know why the magnetic attraction .

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Awl--

Wouldna bleeved had I not seed it.

Friend brought over a magnet from a hard drive (really nice strong
magnet), and BAM, stuck right to the granite base of my height gauge!
Well, actually, it's just the granite base, cuz there is no height
gauge--supplier's scrap heap, donchaknow....
And stuck perty good! wow....

Thus, boyzngerlz, thar must be iron in them thar granite hills!!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

One of my college profs had a set up using multiple LARGE permenant
magnets to generate a strong field for an experiment. The kind that you
need to remove your wrist watch to work on. The protective cover for the
unit was a piece of birch plywood grown in the Minnesota iron range
area. It had a gentle but firm attachment to the rig.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Remember the color of SiO2 - clear to white. The 'black' ones might have olivine
and iron within. The pink ones - pink is something else. Complex chemistry
made by a volcano.

David Billington wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:17:56 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

Did you hear about the boy who died as a result of those type of magnets?

Seems they make toys that use the rare earth mags for attaching body parts
to one another, the child swallowed one that had fallen out. Several hours
later he found and swollwed another one. THe first one was on its way to
safely pass through the childs system but when the other one was swallowed
they did what they do best and the result was extreme pain after a day or so
and then I beleive he died after. The docs said that the mags connected thus
casuing his colon to become attached to his stomach, closing off his entire
system.

I use the hard drive mags around the shop all the time, two to hold my drill
press vise to the base when not in use.

Searcher

When the cheap plastic ring holding casters to the bottom of my shop
vac. disintegrated, I made a wood base with a pair of these attached.
Works like a charm.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Another good way to demo this is using a cylindrical magnet and drop it
through a copper tube like used for plumbing. Re your sorting method I
believe this is similar to how many vending machines validate that a
coin is what it should be rather than a counterfeit.

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:08:33 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

It would be interesting to know what granite was used for the base of
your height gauge. The black granite I have about shows no magnetic
attraction at all when NiFeBn magnet is placed on it. As granite is
predominantly SiO2 it would be interesting to know why the magnetic
attraction.

Given the strength of these magnets I could believe it was just being
attracted to a steel fitting in the centre of the height gauge base. Is
this possible, or was it definitely being attracted to the granite?

Another thing to consider is eddy currents. Take a hard drive magnet
assembly, one with the self-contained yoke and magnets on both sides.
Old seagate drives, for instance. If you drop a dime through it, it
slows down noticably while falling through the gap. A quarter, more so.
A half dollar, takes nearly 1 second to drop through the gap (really!)

If you're wondering, this is related to my "how to I separate zinc
pennies from copper pennies" question of last week. As soon as I can
get a good ramp/guide, I should have some wacky pictures of my low-tech
sorting method.

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:01:28 +0100, David Billington wrote:
Another good way to demo this is using a cylindrical magnet and drop it
through a copper tube like used for plumbing. Re your sorting method I
believe this is similar to how many vending machines validate that a
coin is what it should be rather than a counterfeit.

As soon as I can find/fab a good ramp, I'm good to go. Keeping the
friction down while the guidance is still good, is the trick. I know
two ways not to do it at this point.

But yes, fun with eddy currents is a great desk-toy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

David Billington wrote:
Another good way to demo this is using a cylindrical magnet and drop it
through a copper tube like used for plumbing. Re your sorting method I
believe this is similar to how many vending machines validate that a
coin is what it should be rather than a counterfeit.

Actually, this demo works okay with just about any NIB magnets, even if
they aren't cylindrical. Give it a go.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Thanks Chris,

The last time I did this demo was for some friends using magnets
salvaged from some wedding corsage after a wedding I attended in
Holland. The florists had used small NiFeBn magnets taped to the flower
stem and another inside the lapel or dress to hold the flowers in place.
About 10mm diameter and 2mm thick, these were a nice fit in standard
copper tubing, 15mm?, and the increase in time taken to fall compared
to a non magnetic item was quite amazing. I grabbed all the unwanted
corsages and stripped the magnets, although they are not expensive these
days and readily available.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

Another good way to demo this is using a cylindrical magnet and drop
it through a copper tube like used for plumbing. Re your sorting
method I believe this is similar to how many vending machines
validate that a coin is what it should be rather than a counterfeit.

Actually, this demo works okay with just about any NIB magnets, even
if they aren't cylindrical. Give it a go.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:19:56 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

David Billington wrote:
Thanks Chris,

The last time I did this demo was for some friends using magnets
salvaged from some wedding corsage after a wedding I attended in
Holland. The florists had used small NiFeBn magnets taped to the flower
stem and another inside the lapel or dress to hold the flowers in place.
About 10mm diameter and 2mm thick, these were a nice fit in standard
copper tubing, 15mm?, and the increase in time taken to fall compared
to a non magnetic item was quite amazing. I grabbed all the unwanted
corsages and stripped the magnets, although they are not expensive these
days and readily available.

I have maybe 20 small trapezium shaped magnets from 500 MB hard drives.
I'm not certain of the composition, but I think it may be NdFeB. I used
some for a demonstration at a school a couple of years ago. They will
creep down a 3 mm thick aluminium plate inclined at 80 degrees at only a
couple of centimetres per second. The speed in an aluminium tube with 3
mm walls is about the same. You can do some fascinating demonstrations
with these magnets which aren't easily observed with weaker magnets.
They're great fun.

Best wishes,

Chris

Greetings Chris,
This is such a good demo that when a neighbor asked me if I could help
a friend's child with a science paper/demo this is what I thought of.
The cool thing about it was that the demo related to all sorts of
things. From generators to speedometers to scales. And the concept is
simple enough for most 8th graders to understand. The kid who I did
this for wasn't the brightest bulb when it came to science and I was
able to get him to realize how and why it behaved the way it did. The
new, strong, rare earth magnets are tons-o-fun and really show
graphically the effects of magnetism. Imagine how keenly observant the
first researchers into magnetism must have been when the only magnets
were lodestone. The first time I saw this and learned what it was I
was 13. The three beam scales in school had an aluminum plate that
passed between two magnets as the damper. When I took apart my first
speedometer, (from a VW), I saw a disc connected to the rotating cable
surrounded by an aluminum cup. After thinking about it for a second I
knew exactly how it worked and why the speedo was malfunctioning.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:03:49 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

The three beam scales in school had an aluminum plate that
passed between two magnets as the damper.

All of my ammunition scales are dampened this way. Except the very old
one that uses a revivor of oil and a tiny paddle below the beam

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist