Swingman

Default Granite table top advice

SWMBO has a 41" X 19" x 3/4" slab of granite cluttering up my shop. Although
it is nicely beveled on all four sides, it has two rounded corners with a
radius of about 3" (front), and two slightly rounded corners (back), which
means it will have to sit against a wall ... no problem thus far, because
that is SWMBO's intended use/placement.

She wants incorporate this granite as the top to a Mission style, 30" tall
table, leaving about an 1 1/2" overhang all around ... still no problem, as
I've turned out no fewer than 4 similar sized/styled tables this year alone.

Elegantly fastening the granite top to the table is, however, something I am
looking for ideas on.

I have used plywood substrate and appropriate glue on granite kitchen
cabinet counter tops, however, I don't relish, stylistically, having the
additional height of a substrate (probably with banded edges if used), PLUS
the granite on the table.

One solution would be to inset a plywood substrate into rabbets in the tops
of the aprons (and legs), then glue the granite top to it. That way the
granite would sit on top of the legs and apron, as would a wood top.

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Many thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Nova

Swingman wrote:

Elegantly fastening the granite top to the table is, however, something I am
looking for ideas on.

How about gluing cleats to the bottom of the granite and then screwing the
cleats to the apron.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:42:56 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Elegantly fastening the granite top to the table is, however, something I am
looking for ideas on.

Drill holes from underneath (SDS drill will do it pretty easily) and
use polyester resin glue-in fixings. These are easily available from
better hardware merchants.

You now have a wide range of options for whether you have studs
pointing down, or some form of bracket with holes in. The weight of
granite should be adequate to hold it down to a wooden frame, so
you're just trying to stop it being lifted up.

For a traditionalist approach, use slightly dovetailed iron rag bolts
(squishy end) in drilled holes, and fix them in place with either
molten sulphur or molten lead.

--
What ? Me ? Evil Dictator of Iraq ?
Nah mate, I'm just a Hobbit, honest

Tom Watson

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:55:22 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

What ? Me ? Evil Dictator of Iraq ?
Nah mate, I'm just a Hobbit, honest

Andy, that made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania 19428
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Swingman

"George M. Kazaka" wrote in message
Sounds to me like you solved your problem

At this point I'll probably go with Jack and Lawrence's suggestion using
cleats glued to the granite.

I wasn't sure whether using adhesive on cleats would provide enough of a
surface area bond to hold the top in place over the long haul, but, as Andy
pointed out, the top is heavy enough to stay in place, and it shouldn't take
much to keep it from shifting. I hate to take the chance on drilling the
granite and having it break ... sleeping with the client has its advantages,
but may not survive that.

Thanks for the replies and suggestion. Now that I've got the out of the way,
it's full steam ahead on the table ...SWMBO and I are headed for the lumber
yard this morning to find some thicker stock for legs that will suit her
design.

I am looking forward to mixing wood and stone in this project, as well as to
getting that piece of granite out of my way in the shop.

Thanks again!

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Greg

Most granite counter tops in kitchens are simply glued to the top edge of the
1/2" MDF with a bead of RTV.

Clif

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:04:01 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

[...]

One other suggestion, use silicone caulk, the aquarium stuff does
wonderfully as an adjunct to the cleats. Once applied and cured, the
top WILL NOT move on its own, or by being shoved around.

CLif

Mark Jerde

Swingman wrote:

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Be careful moving it. I broke the corner of a piece I had. :-(

-- Mark

Swingman

The damn granite is SWMBO's, not mine, and has been leaning against the wall
behind my miter saw for almost three years ... it would be par for the
course for me to break it now.

I took it out yesterday, laid it on a piece of contractor's paper and traced
the outline so I could use the paper as a template for measuring, etc, then
I put it back, all within view of SWMBO. No fear ... I am not going to so
much as touch it unless she's there.

Although I am a wee bit concerned about the 'support' surface area for the
granite if using the cleat idea, the nice thing about not using a full blown
substrate to glue it to is that if it does break at some point I can just
build a wooden top and still have a nice table.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Be careful moving it. I broke the corner of a piece I had. :-(

-- Mark

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Forget all that table stuff. Use it as a honking big Scarey Sharp(tm)
sharpening station.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark Jerde

Be careful moving it. I broke the corner of a piece I had. :-(

I was holding it flat horizontally by two corners moving it around in my
car. One of the corners broke off. So be careful to support it while
you're moving it. Also, without support across the middle setting a coffee
cup on it could, um, start a conversation...

-- Mark

Mike Hide

And you think thats going to work ! you have to be joking . Even if if gets
hit by a bloody meteorite it still is going to be your fault for putting it
where you did .....

--
mike hide

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Be careful moving it. I broke the corner of a piece I had. :-(

-- Mark

Nova

Mike Hide wrote:

And you think thats going to work ! you have to be joking . Even if if gets
hit by a bloody meteorite it still is going to be your fault for putting it
where you did .....

And they say men don't understand women?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Swingman

LOL ... You're right about that!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
And you think thats going to work ! you have to be joking . Even if if

gets
hit by a bloody meteorite it still is going to be your fault for putting

it
where you did .....

--
mike hide

Swingman

Damn howdy! ... I could spray glue ALL the grits to one flat surface! ....
Come here, babe ... we need to talk.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Silvan" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Forget all that table stuff. Use it as a honking big Scarey Sharp(tm)
sharpening station.

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

Damn howdy! ... I could spray glue ALL the grits to one flat surface!
.... Come here, babe ... we need to talk.

Full sheets too. Full *packs* of sheets. You could go months or years
before having to change anything.

I'm thinking about doing the same with an old octagonal glass table I have
stashed somewhere. If I could just figure out a way to keep it out of the
way...

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Swingman

I think you may have started something, Michael. I can see it now ...
headlines on the cover of next month's American Wooddorker:

"Great New Plans: The ULTIMATE Scary SharpT Table".

The question now is whether to put it on a mobile base and which one ...
HTC, Delta, or the Delta clone?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Silvan" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Damn howdy! ... I could spray glue ALL the grits to one flat surface!
.... Come here, babe ... we need to talk.

Full sheets too. Full *packs* of sheets. You could go months or years
before having to change anything.

I'm thinking about doing the same with an old octagonal glass table I have
stashed somewhere. If I could just figure out a way to keep it out of the
way...

Swingman

Thanks for the idea's on fastening the top with wooden cleats glued to the
underside of the granite.

Although it is not finished, it was far enough along to be useable and
present to SWMBO for Christmas, so I moved it into the kitchen for her to
use during the Holidays, and until I get the drawer and drawer assembly done
later this week.

Page 4, Projects Journal on the website below.

As it turns out, the cleats work fine as placement guides for the top, and
to keep it from moving about. And, as Andy indicated, the top is heavy
enough that it will not be necessary to actually screw the cleats to the
aprons.

Not a bad idea for the top to 'float', as the combined weight makes moving
this thing a task and the ability to easily remove the top is welcome.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...
SWMBO has a 41" X 19" x 3/4" slab of granite cluttering up my shop.

Although
it is nicely beveled on all four sides, it has two rounded corners with a
radius of about 3" (front), and two slightly rounded corners (back), which
means it will have to sit against a wall ... no problem thus far, because
that is SWMBO's intended use/placement.

Bridger

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:03:27 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

As it turns out, the cleats work fine as placement guides for the top, and
to keep it from moving about. And, as Andy indicated, the top is heavy
enough that it will not be necessary to actually screw the cleats to the
aprons.

Not a bad idea for the top to 'float', as the combined weight makes moving
this thing a task and the ability to easily remove the top is welcome.

just make sure the top is loose enough that friction will not lift the
base if the table is lifted from the top. could give someone an
unpleasant surprise...