George M. Kazaka

Default Granite table top advice

Sounds to me like you solved your problem

"Swingman" wrote in message
SWMBO has a 41" X 19" x 3/4" slab of granite cluttering up my shop.

Although
it is nicely beveled on all four sides, it has two rounded corners with a
radius of about 3" (front), and two slightly rounded corners (back), which
means it will have to sit against a wall ... no problem thus far, because
that is SWMBO's intended use/placement.

She wants incorporate this granite as the top to a Mission style, 30" tall
table, leaving about an 1 1/2" overhang all around ... still no problem,

as
I've turned out no fewer than 4 similar sized/styled tables this year

alone.

Elegantly fastening the granite top to the table is, however, something I

am
looking for ideas on.

I have used plywood substrate and appropriate glue on granite kitchen
cabinet counter tops, however, I don't relish, stylistically, having the
additional height of a substrate (probably with banded edges if used),

PLUS
the granite on the table.

One solution would be to inset a plywood substrate into rabbets in the

tops
of the aprons (and legs), then glue the granite top to it. That way the
granite would sit on top of the legs and apron, as would a wood top.

That said, I am actively seeking other ideas/experiences.

Many thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03