Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

Default New granite vanity top discolours when wet?

I just installed a new granite top on my bathroom vanity. The granite
is a manly beige coloured variety with brown and black specs in it. I
noticed that any water that is left on the surface seems to cause a
darker discoloration on the surface. After the surface is dried, it
seems to return to normal after a few hours.

I this a normal behaviour for a light coloured granite? What are my
options to keep this from happening? I have been searching this forum
and have found many opinions on sealing granite. Can anyone comment on
whether a granite sealer would help in this situation? If so I am
looking for brands I could pick up from either Home depot or my local
granite store.

Many thanks,

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

Your granite needs sealing if: water does not bead up on it (as water
would bead up on a freshly waxed car). If it is not doing so, the
granite (which is porous) is absorbing the water. I suspect that is
happening in your case. This is a problem if you were to spill wine on
the countertop since it cause a permanent stain.

Contact a local granite supplier to ask for the name of a good sealant.

John Churchill
Builder and Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Your granite needs sealing if: water does not bead up on it (as water
would bead up on a freshly waxed car). If it is not doing so, the
granite (which is porous) is absorbing the water. I suspect that is
happening in your case. This is a problem if you were to spill wine on
the countertop since it cause a permanent stain.

Contact a local granite supplier to ask for the name of a good sealant.

John Churchill
Builder and Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

It sounds like you need to seal it , You only want to seal it about every 6
months or more, When the water no longer beads up on it,then reseal it. If
you seal it to often it will become cloudy then you need steal wool.