Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Turner

Default model cannon

If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable for
small lathes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll be there....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Turner" wrote in message
If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable
for small lathes.

This was NOT a good idea! Functional cannons in the hands of some of these
people (me included)...but, but, but....then again, we don't NEED no
stinking plans!!! My first, and sadly, last was .75" bore x 24" long.
First shot pulverized a concrete block to dust with a cast Minnie from a
wood mold. It's still in the shop someplace.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:07:38 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Turner" wrote in message
If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable
for small lathes.

This was NOT a good idea! Functional cannons in the hands of some of these
people (me included)...but, but, but....then again, we don't NEED no
stinking plans!!! My first, and sadly, last was .75" bore x 24" long.
First shot pulverized a concrete block to dust with a cast Minnie from a
wood mold. It's still in the shop someplace.

My first homebrew cannon had a 3" bore and would shoot a concret
filled beer can a reallly realllllllly long way. Including through
both sides of my buddies garage...and his house on the other
side...cringe. Last time I let him borrow anything....

His wife wouldnt talk to me for 3 yrs.. She figured I knew him better
than that.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

My first homebrew cannon had a 3" bore and would shoot a concret
filled beer can a reallly realllllllly long way. Including through
both sides of my buddies garage...and his house on the other
side...cringe. Last time I let him borrow anything....

His wife wouldnt talk to me for 3 yrs.. She figured I knew him better
than that.

Gunner

Just how much ammo was "prepared" that day? What brand was the beer can?
I smell a commercial! I used FF for my now demasculated cannon, what
propellant is right for the 3"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Turner

.... what propellant is right for the 3"?

Goex 'Fg' or Goex 'Cannon' http://tinyurl.com/k7p26

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:59:23 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

My first homebrew cannon had a 3" bore and would shoot a concret
filled beer can a reallly realllllllly long way. Including through
both sides of my buddies garage...and his house on the other
side...cringe. Last time I let him borrow anything....

His wife wouldnt talk to me for 3 yrs.. She figured I knew him better
than that.

Gunner

Just how much ammo was "prepared" that day? What brand was the beer can?
I smell a commercial! I used FF for my now demasculated cannon, what
propellant is right for the 3"?

Given his nature..I suspect at least one full 6 pack too many.

2F works fine, about 3 oz would toss a cement filled beer can, best as
we could figure..about 2000 yrds across a small lake..even with
binocs..we didnt see a splash unless we lowered the muzzle below 45
degrees

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

A good read on the subject is: "GUNPOWDER Alchemy, Bombards, and
Pyrotechnics" by Jack Kelly. pub. Basic Books, Perseus Books Group.
ISBN 0-465-03718-6

Bob Swinney
"Turner" wrote in message
. ..
.... what propellant is right for the 3"?

Goex 'Fg' or Goex 'Cannon' http://tinyurl.com/k7p26

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Tom Gardner wrote:

My first homebrew cannon had a 3" bore and would shoot a concret
filled beer can a reallly realllllllly long way. Including through
both sides of my buddies garage...and his house on the other
side...cringe. Last time I let him borrow anything....

His wife wouldnt talk to me for 3 yrs.. She figured I knew him better
than that.

Gunner

Just how much ammo was "prepared" that day? What brand was the beer can?
I smell a commercial!

Gives a new meaning to "This Bud's for you"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:51:58 -0700, "Turner" wrote:

If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable for
small lathes.

Over twenty five years ago I was living in the Sierra near Sonora CA.
The paper had a story about these two people living in a mobile home
having a lead ball come crashing through the roof. These two old
retired boys read the story and realized it was the ball they had cast
and fired from their home made cannon. It was the only shot they made.
They had fired it and the ball had gone clear out of sight so they
figured that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to shoot the thing. They
paid for the damage done. No charges were filed since they turned
themselves in and paid willingly for all the damages. They promised
not to fire the cannon anymore. But I bet they sure had a good time
talking about it.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Turner" wrote in message

If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable
for small lathes.

This was NOT a good idea! Functional cannons in the hands of some of these
people (me included)...but, but, but....then again, we don't NEED no
stinking plans!!! My first, and sadly, last was .75" bore x 24" long.
First shot pulverized a concrete block to dust with a cast Minnie from a
wood mold. It's still in the shop someplace.

My first a 6" brass one bored to chamber a common marble at the time . I
think I was about 13 at the time . Well I did not have any real powder
so I pried open one of my Dad's 12 guage shells , dumped the powder in .
A wad of paper rammed over that . No marble as this first firing was
going to happen in my bedroom . I mean who could wait long enough to
walk outside . Well I had confidence in my design just not much , so no
way was I going to hold it in my hand to fire it off . Soooo I laid it
on my bed . Lit the powder hole off . Well my Mom had bought me a nice
new bright yellow bedspread . The barrel of the cannon being way to
short to completely burn up the powder . So most of the powder was shot
out the muzzle in a real impressive fan pattern where it finished
burning . Well OK I was not the only one impressed . My Mom , ya not
very much . My Dad oh well he was real impressed just not the way I
needed . So he made sure I did not forget this lesson in a big way .
Oddly enough the cannon was never confiscated and went on to fire many
at marble at various objects . Mostly the would shatter on impact but I
could get pretty decent penetration in a 2X4 . Every so often I still
come across that little cannon , still looks great . Maybe the next time
I run across it I will set it up as an reminder that growing up was
indeed a great time .
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:12:50 -0700, Brent Philion
wrote:

And here i was thinking the potato gun was a fun toy

could you put an aluminum streamer ont he beer can to give it a
straighter trajectory

Commo wire wrapped around the object so it lags behind works well
after it unspools.

Beer cans sure make a wierd sound as they tumble....

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Ken Cutt" wrote in message

Maybe the next time I run across it I will set it up as an reminder that
growing up was indeed a great time .
Ken Cutt

Are you implying that you ever grew-up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Ha Ha . Well I will not tell on you if you don't tell on me ;-)
Ken Cutt

Deal!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

You are such a great source of really bad ideas =)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb

Brent Philion wrote:

You are such a great source of really bad ideas =)

Yepper!

Hey, I want a small signal gun for sailing.

Something that sounds like a cannon and makes a big
puff of smoke.

One suggestion was a capped pipe firing M-80s and
a load of talcum powder.

Any improvements on that?

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

cavelamb writes:

One suggestion was a capped pipe firing M-80s and
a load of talcum powder.

Any improvements on that?

Improvements on a federal felony that is likely to fill your face full of
shrapnel? Nah.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 06:34:23 GMT, cavelamb
wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

You are such a great source of really bad ideas =)

Yepper!

Hey, I want a small signal gun for sailing.

Something that sounds like a cannon and makes a big
puff of smoke.

One suggestion was a capped pipe firing M-80s and
a load of talcum powder.

Any improvements on that?

Richard

Sure....make one like the original Winchester signaling cannon, to
chamber 12ga blank shotgun shells. A striker and lanyard makes things
a bit safer and more realistic. You can load your own shotgun shells
with black powder and wad *and superglue the wad in for increased
pressure (old timers used waterglass) or simpy buy storebought blanks.

The originals were 19ga IRRC..but since those are hard to find..simply
make it in 12ga. No fair using shot loads..though with a string..it
does make for an interesting impromptu booby trap

http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/history.asp

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Richard J Kinch wrote:

cavelamb writes:

One suggestion was a capped pipe firing M-80s and
a load of talcum powder.

Any improvements on that?

Improvements on a federal felony that is likely to fill your face full of
shrapnel? Nah.

Do you run your whole life worrying about lawyers? Or are you unclear
on what he wants.

Felony?

Not a pipe bomb, a pipe with a cap on the end with a friggen
firecracker in it under a scoop of talcum powder.

Has the land of the free gone the way of the Brit nanny state?

Yeesh!

Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

gACK! Type alert...that 19 ga should be 10 ga. I hate small keyboards
on laptops

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Very interesting, but no where on that site is anything to give you an
idea of the scale, or actual size.

wrote:
Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

wrote:
Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

Click on The Cannon Store at the bottom. It gives the specs in
addition to the price.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Turner

Hey, I want a small signal gun for sailing.

Go to http://www.gunbroker.com/ and search for 'Cannon'.

Also, there are a few at http://www.ebay.com , search for 'signal cannon'.

If you have a lathe, make a small blackpowder cannon with percussion cap
ignition. http://www.dixiegun.com sell locks, or make a slap-hammer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Rex,

Perhaps you didn't page through quite far enough. Although it does
not give barrel diameter, it does indicate 10 gauge shells, and also
notes:

Barrel Length: 12 inches
Overall Length: 16 inches
Width: 6.5 inches
Height: 7 inches
Weight: 15 lbs

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:
Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Rex,

Perhaps you didn't page through quite far enough. Although it does
not give barrel diameter, it does indicate 10 gauge shells, and also
notes:

Barrel Length: 12 inches
Overall Length: 16 inches
Width: 6.5 inches
Height: 7 inches
Weight: 15 lbs

Yeah, I finally waded deep enough to see that.
I'm afraid I'm not very patient with websites that don't make it easy to
get important information.
I am shopping for a used car right now. It is amazing how many ads do
not include the miles, and sometimes not even the year model.

Thanks

Rex

wrote:
Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb

wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

They are gorgeous, but damnear $600!

Breechloaders - and they fire commercially made blanks.
Not a bad idea for most, but totally unsat when I want to really
SHOOT something...

Awright, look, this is r.c.metalworking.
Surely somebody can turn a nice pretty brass cannon barrel!?!

Dunno about the trunnions, though.
Admiralty had the blanks cast with them in place.
But I suspect some clever machinist can solve that problem cleverly.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb

Turner wrote:

Hey, I want a small signal gun for sailing.

Go to http://www.gunbroker.com/ and search for 'Cannon'.

Also, there are a few at http://www.ebay.com , search for 'signal cannon'.

If you have a lathe, make a small blackpowder cannon with percussion cap
ignition. http://www.dixiegun.com sell locks, or make a slap-hammer.

That's a nice link guy.
Thanks!

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On 14 Apr 2006 09:50:18 -0700, wrote:

Sure, they still make 10 ga. saluting "cannons" for the yachting crowd.
Last I saw they were a couple of hundred for the low-end, went up from
there as cosmetics were added. See:
http://www.bellmorejohnson.com/
Looks like they've about doubled in price since I last looked at them.

Copies of the original Winchester design. A whole lot safer than
trying to make your own out of gas pipe and firecrackers, AKA
"grenade".

Stan

10-Ga you say? Gee, I know a place where they have a few of these
10-Ga saluting cannons rigged on a swivel mount as 'Deck Guns' on a
ship, which would make them life size replicas. (They might be
Herreshoff's with stanchion mounts, I never looked /that/ closely
before, and after 9/11 they'd get really nervous...)

They get used many times daily. I'm sure the owners know where to
order the blank shells for them...

This particular three-masted Sailing Ship goes around in clockwise
circles in a big River in Anaheim.

And no, that's not the big shot they use for the opening 'BOOM' in
'Fantasmic!', that's a modern SFX cannon with a serious report charge
triggered from the soundtrack SMTPE timecode. They use the deck guns
a few times further on during the segment, though.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Default loads for your cannon, was model cannon

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote
on Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:24:05 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

You are such a great source of really bad ideas =)

Yepper!

Hey, I want a small signal gun for sailing.

Something that sounds like a cannon and makes a big
puff of smoke.

One suggestion was a capped pipe firing M-80s and
a load of talcum powder.

Any improvements on that?

Richard

Sure....make one like the original Winchester signaling cannon, to
chamber 12ga blank shotgun shells. A striker and lanyard makes things
a bit safer and more realistic. You can load your own shotgun shells
with black powder and wad *and superglue the wad in for increased
pressure (old timers used waterglass) or simpy buy storebought blanks.

Word to the wise. Do not attempt to augment the cloud of smoke by
firing a bag of flour. It was a good idea, I'm told, only the flour
exploded as well, doubling or tripling the report, and leaving causing
everything to smell of burnt toast.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Trevor Jones writes:

Or are you unclear on what he wants.

No, you are ignorant of the pyrotechnics.

The "firecracker" is an illegal salute, possession or use of which in this
manner constitutes a federal felony, and probably a state one wherever this
is contemplated.

Furthermore, schedule 40 steel pipe is quite likely to burst with a salute
of this size.

The idea is recklessly bad in physical terms, not to mention criminal.

I personally know three people maimed by similar stunts.

If you really want to do this sort of thing, learn about *black* powder and
properly machined brass or steel barrels. Do not use *flash* powder, and
do not use pipe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

pyotr filipivich writes:

Do not attempt to augment the cloud of smoke by firing a bag of flour.

Movie special effects use finely ground bentonite clay for this purpose.
Kitty litter in a ball mill. Properly inert while making a nice, opaque
cloud.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Richard J Kinch
wrote on Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:16:51 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich writes:

Do not attempt to augment the cloud of smoke by firing a bag of flour.

Movie special effects use finely ground bentonite clay for this purpose.
Kitty litter in a ball mill. Properly inert while making a nice, opaque
cloud.

Aah. Now if I had known this some years ago, we might have used it for
"parade rounds".
As it was, we used "Gorilla round" - about triple the normal load.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:
Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

Wait - you say not to use flour like it's a /bad/ thing... ;-)

Perhaps that's the effect they want?

That's a cheap and simple (and reasonably safe) way to get a big
fireball under controlled conditions - you create a cloud of flour or
Cremora with a puff of compressed air or a squib charge, and provide
an ignition source.

Instant grain elevator explosion.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

And it makes an IMPRESSIVE fireball.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

wrote:

Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

Hehe... Yeah, that it does. Another little-known "explosive" that's
pretty impressive is coffee-mate - Used to have a fellow I worked with
that would spook the bejeebers out of the "new kid on the block" by
taking about half a packet of it, dropping it to make a "cloud" behind
the victim, and sparking his Bic in the cloud. WHOOMP! and a puff of
smoke, and the new guy generally needed to go home and change his
britches

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am reasonably sure that a firecracker is not an illegal salute. They
are sold by the thousands not far from my house. Schedule 40 pipe as
also a lot stronger that you might think. A 12 gauge shotgun shell
will fit nicely in 3/4 inch pipe, and while I have not run many tests,
all the tests I have done in firing a shotgun shell in capped 3/4 inch
pipe have not ruptured the pipe. This is in no way saying that it will
not rupture a pipe. All tests I did many years ago were done with
adequate shielding in case of a rupture as I believe some pipes may
rupture.

Dan

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Trevor Jones writes:

Or are you unclear on what he wants.

No, you are ignorant of the pyrotechnics.

The "firecracker" is an illegal salute, possession or use of which in this
manner constitutes a federal felony, and probably a state one wherever this
is contemplated.

Furthermore, schedule 40 steel pipe is quite likely to burst with a salute
of this size.

The idea is recklessly bad in physical terms, not to mention criminal.

I personally know three people maimed by similar stunts.

If you really want to do this sort of thing, learn about *black* powder and
properly machined brass or steel barrels. Do not use *flash* powder, and
do not use pipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On 15 Apr 2006 15:50:19 -0700, "
wrote:

I am reasonably sure that a firecracker is not an illegal salute. They
are sold by the thousands not far from my house. Schedule 40 pipe as
also a lot stronger that you might think. A 12 gauge shotgun shell
will fit nicely in 3/4 inch pipe, and while I have not run many tests,
all the tests I have done in firing a shotgun shell in capped 3/4 inch
pipe have not ruptured the pipe. This is in no way saying that it will
not rupture a pipe. All tests I did many years ago were done with
adequate shielding in case of a rupture as I believe some pipes may
rupture.

Dan

Now, just for the sake of idiotcy, let's try this with PVC pipe.

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Trevor Jones writes:

Or are you unclear on what he wants.

No, you are ignorant of the pyrotechnics.

The "firecracker" is an illegal salute, possession or use of which in this
manner constitutes a federal felony, and probably a state one wherever this
is contemplated.

Furthermore, schedule 40 steel pipe is quite likely to burst with a salute
of this size.

The idea is recklessly bad in physical terms, not to mention criminal.

I personally know three people maimed by similar stunts.

If you really want to do this sort of thing, learn about *black* powder and
properly machined brass or steel barrels. Do not use *flash* powder, and
do not use pipe.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:51:51 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On 15 Apr 2006 15:50:19 -0700, "
wrote:

I am reasonably sure that a firecracker is not an illegal salute. They
are sold by the thousands not far from my house. Schedule 40 pipe as
also a lot stronger that you might think. A 12 gauge shotgun shell
will fit nicely in 3/4 inch pipe, and while I have not run many tests,
all the tests I have done in firing a shotgun shell in capped 3/4 inch
pipe have not ruptured the pipe. This is in no way saying that it will
not rupture a pipe. All tests I did many years ago were done with
adequate shielding in case of a rupture as I believe some pipes may
rupture.

Dan

Now, just for the sake of idiotcy, let's try this with PVC pipe.

Ill watch the videos you are going to produce. When can I expect your
widow to forward them on to me?

Gunner

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Trevor Jones writes:

[...]

Fderal Surplus - includes DeWalt 12" RAS and Powermatic model 90 lathe Dave Hall Woodworking 3 May 26th 05 10:05 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Kohler sink model # riddle [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 5th 05 11:50 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Dewalt Recalls? Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 May 25th 04 12:17 PM