Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Default model cannon

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Turner" wrote in message

If you build them, or are just curious, join us. The group has a growing
inventory of plans for blackpowder naval and field gun projects suitable
for small lathes.

This was NOT a good idea! Functional cannons in the hands of some of these
people (me included)...but, but, but....then again, we don't NEED no
stinking plans!!! My first, and sadly, last was .75" bore x 24" long.
First shot pulverized a concrete block to dust with a cast Minnie from a
wood mold. It's still in the shop someplace.

My first a 6" brass one bored to chamber a common marble at the time . I
think I was about 13 at the time . Well I did not have any real powder
so I pried open one of my Dad's 12 guage shells , dumped the powder in .
A wad of paper rammed over that . No marble as this first firing was
going to happen in my bedroom . I mean who could wait long enough to
walk outside . Well I had confidence in my design just not much , so no
way was I going to hold it in my hand to fire it off . Soooo I laid it
on my bed . Lit the powder hole off . Well my Mom had bought me a nice
new bright yellow bedspread . The barrel of the cannon being way to
short to completely burn up the powder . So most of the powder was shot
out the muzzle in a real impressive fan pattern where it finished
burning . Well OK I was not the only one impressed . My Mom , ya not
very much . My Dad oh well he was real impressed just not the way I
needed . So he made sure I did not forget this lesson in a big way .
Oddly enough the cannon was never confiscated and went on to fire many
at marble at various objects . Mostly the would shatter on impact but I
could get pretty decent penetration in a 2X4 . Every so often I still
come across that little cannon , still looks great . Maybe the next time
I run across it I will set it up as an reminder that growing up was
indeed a great time .
Ken Cutt