Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Default model cannon

On 15 Apr 2006 15:50:19 -0700, "
wrote:

I am reasonably sure that a firecracker is not an illegal salute. They
are sold by the thousands not far from my house. Schedule 40 pipe as
also a lot stronger that you might think. A 12 gauge shotgun shell
will fit nicely in 3/4 inch pipe, and while I have not run many tests,
all the tests I have done in firing a shotgun shell in capped 3/4 inch
pipe have not ruptured the pipe. This is in no way saying that it will
not rupture a pipe. All tests I did many years ago were done with
adequate shielding in case of a rupture as I believe some pipes may
rupture.

Dan

Now, just for the sake of idiotcy, let's try this with PVC pipe.

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Trevor Jones writes:

Or are you unclear on what he wants.

No, you are ignorant of the pyrotechnics.

The "firecracker" is an illegal salute, possession or use of which in this
manner constitutes a federal felony, and probably a state one wherever this
is contemplated.

Furthermore, schedule 40 steel pipe is quite likely to burst with a salute
of this size.

The idea is recklessly bad in physical terms, not to mention criminal.

I personally know three people maimed by similar stunts.

If you really want to do this sort of thing, learn about *black* powder and
properly machined brass or steel barrels. Do not use *flash* powder, and
do not use pipe.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada