Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Default Sheldon shaper

Would a Sheldon 12 inch shaper with broken stroke arm for $800.00 be a
reasonable deal? The machine was a high school shop tool. The price
does not include shipping costs to be incurred.
What do you think? What considerations should enter my assessment of
this opportunity? How much do you think this baby weighs? It does
have a vise. Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

trg-s338 wrote:

Would a Sheldon 12 inch shaper with broken stroke arm for $800.00 be a
reasonable deal?

Nope, not broken. I'd pay no more than $150.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Grant Erwin wrote:
trg-s338 wrote:

Would a Sheldon 12 inch shaper with broken stroke arm for $800.00 be a
reasonable deal?

Nope, not broken. I'd pay no more than $150.

GWE

Agreed. With shapers, the bigger they are the cheaper they are on the
used market.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

John Martin wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

trg-s338 wrote:

Would a Sheldon 12 inch shaper with broken stroke arm for $800.00 be a
reasonable deal?

Nope, not broken. I'd pay no more than $150.

GWE

Agreed. With shapers, the bigger they are the cheaper they are on the
used market.

John Martin

I third that...far over priced...even if it wasn't broken. The only
other thing to consider is the vice. Figure that's worth more than half
the cost of the rest of the shaper. No vice or bad vice, shaper value
goes way down. Good vice and it may have value as a seperate item, even
if the rest of the machine is a boat anchor.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Koz wrote:
I third that...far over priced...even if it wasn't broken. The only
other thing to consider is the vice. Figure that's worth more than half
the cost of the rest of the shaper. No vice or bad vice, shaper value
goes way down. Good vice and it may have value as a seperate item, even
if the rest of the machine is a boat anchor.

I don't get it. What's so special about a shaper vise?
How is it different from a good milling vise?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

Rex B wrote:

Koz wrote:
I third that...far over priced...even if it wasn't broken. The only
other thing to consider is the vice. Figure that's worth more than
half the cost of the rest of the shaper. No vice or bad vice, shaper
value goes way down. Good vice and it may have value as a seperate
item, even if the rest of the machine is a boat anchor.

I don't get it. What's so special about a shaper vise?
How is it different from a good milling vise?

Force between the jaws is carried in tension on a shaper vise - no
problem with the screw buckling.

--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:57:14 GMT, Fred R "spam
wrote:

Rex B wrote:

Koz wrote:
I third that...far over priced...even if it wasn't broken. The only
other thing to consider is the vice. Figure that's worth more than
half the cost of the rest of the shaper. No vice or bad vice, shaper
value goes way down. Good vice and it may have value as a seperate
item, even if the rest of the machine is a boat anchor.

I don't get it. What's so special about a shaper vise?
How is it different from a good milling vise?

Force between the jaws is carried in tension on a shaper vise - no
problem with the screw buckling.

Not all. However, they also sit low for their width, useful on a
shaper. Plus there's just the scarcity factor. Everyone with a
shaper needs workholding, and there's nothing as handy as a vise
designed specifically for your shaper. Some small shapers don't have
T slots, and so benefit from a vise which already fits their bolt hole
pattern.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:17:24 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

trg-s338 wrote:

Would a Sheldon 12 inch shaper with broken stroke arm for $800.00 be a
reasonable deal?

Nope, not broken. I'd pay no more than $150.

GWE

IRRC..that arm is cast iron. So a new one would likely need to be
fabricated from scratch. Which is no easy task and getting a chunk of
suitable steel big enough to machine into shape is not going to be
cheap.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Yep...Gunner is right...the machine is a parts machine...pay
accordingly.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Thanks for the sound advise, but now my balloon has been deflated. Any
leads on where I can find a 12" or so shaper? I have heard lots of
good things about the Sheldon in this size for hobby so I tend to look
for it but others may know better, any recommendations?. So how about
it, any leads for a shaper in Southern California at a reasonable price
and condition?-- Trg-s338

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 24 Mar 2006 09:53:30 -0800, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Thanks for the sound advise, but now my balloon has been deflated. Any
leads on where I can find a 12" or so shaper? I have heard lots of
good things about the Sheldon in this size for hobby so I tend to look
for it but others may know better, any recommendations?. So how about
it, any leads for a shaper in Southern California at a reasonable price
and condition?-- Trg-s338

I believe that I have photos of that Gemoc 16" shaper we discussed.
Its available for $500 and located in Van Nuys California. If I cannot
find the photos..I may be able to swing over there this after noont
after dropping off parts for a customer and take some.

As I recall..the foot print was not all that big,...but it is a
serious shaper

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

I assume then that it is in good condition? If its not too much
trouble, I would like to visualize it. Can such a machine be placed on
a rented heavy duty trailer or will it need the services of a machine
transporter?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

I should ammend my previous post about the Sheldon in question.

It may well be repairable. The part may be readily fixed, or a new one
built. However..as others have said..in a broken condition..its not
worth $800. I can buy minty functional Sheldons for that much.

I was unable to get a very clear picture of the Gemco today..though
did get a few from the outside of the fence. Ill hunt through my
archives for the earlier ones I took.

The footprint is reasonable..about 6-7' long, perhaps 4 feet wide at
most. About the size of a 14" lathe, perhaps a little wider in foot
print. All the controls are on one side..so it could be placed against
a wall length wise and run, rather than extended into the garage.

Ill find the photos and put them on my yahoo album or the drop box and
post the location here.

Ive a call into the owner, as to the price at the moment..and also
because he has the cutest little Clark forklift..looks like a kids
toy...probably a 1000 lb capacity..about right for me in
manuverability..and I can probably trade him out of it.....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

I suspect that the broken arm is just one problem the Sheldon shaper
has.

When a shaper shows damage like that, you can assume that the gear
train has also taken a significant hit.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Supposedly, it was damaged when high school kids were loading it onto
the transport. Whether that incident affected the gear train adversely
or not, I don't know. You, Too_Many_Tools, are probably correct in you
assessment though. I am not clear on how that could happen, I presume
that the arm is internal to the machine?

Gunner, I've come to appreciate your comments and look forward to your
posts both on this topic and other threads you participate in. Just to
let you know, I am currently in discussion with the folks on another
thread in this group entitled "Splines" if you have not seen it
already. There the topic has led to my discussion of my homebuilt skid
steer project. Seeing that you are interested in a fork lift, you
might find my project/learning experience at least a moderately
interesting read.

But don't forget, I'm still searching for a reasonable shaper for that
reasonable price. Thanks to all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 25 Mar 2006 02:16:09 -0800, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Supposedly, it was damaged when high school kids were loading it onto
the transport. Whether that incident affected the gear train adversely
or not, I don't know. You, Too_Many_Tools, are probably correct in you
assessment though. I am not clear on how that could happen, I presume
that the arm is internal to the machine?

At this point..Im not terribley sure what part was broken. Can you
take a picture?

Gunner, I've come to appreciate your comments and look forward to your
posts both on this topic and other threads you participate in. Just to
let you know, I am currently in discussion with the folks on another
thread in this group entitled "Splines" if you have not seen it
already. There the topic has led to my discussion of my homebuilt skid
steer project. Seeing that you are interested in a fork lift, you
might find my project/learning experience at least a moderately
interesting read.

But don't forget, I'm still searching for a reasonable shaper for that
reasonable price. Thanks to all.

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Unfortunately, this machine dealer is in LA. I've been communicating
with the seller online. I will request a picture. I don't know that
he will respond because I made a tentative offer of $600. at the time
but he never responded back, did not like my offer I guess.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 25 Mar 2006 04:44:33 -0800, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Unfortunately, this machine dealer is in LA. I've been communicating
with the seller online. I will request a picture. I don't know that
he will respond because I made a tentative offer of $600. at the time
but he never responded back, did not like my offer I guess.

Whe is the dealer? Davis and Wells?

I can go look at the machine next week and give you an assesment.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Unfortunately, this machine dealer is in LA. I've been communicating
with the seller online. I will request a picture. I don't know that
he will respond because I made a tentative offer of $600. at the time
but he never responded back, did not like my offer I guess.

btw...assuming its NOT Davis and Wells..I strongly suggest you contact
Dan at D&W..he often has shapers. He had a minty minty Sheldon last
time I talked to him

Gunner

http://www.davisandwells.com/history.shtml

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

I could imagine a shaper falling off a truck on to its face that would
force the ram on the shaper backwards. The impact force would be
transmitted from the ram through the rocker arm to the gear train. If
this is what happened, I would expect more damage than just the rocker
arm to have occurred.

Here is some eye candy...I am not responsible for cleaning the drool
off your monitor ;).

http://www.jamesriser.com/Sheldon/Shaper.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=sh...r=&sa=N&tab=wi

Hopefully this information will make your search a bit easier.

The Sheldon shaper is a very nice shaper....I still kick myself for the
one I didn't buy ten years ago.

Good luck with your search...it's worth the trouble.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Don't I wish I had the forklift.

Let me know of the model number if you can. That sounds like what I could use.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

The Google search brought chills - most pictures were of James Riser's toys.
and the metalworking.com data base! - They dig into everything it looks like.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I could imagine a shaper falling off a truck on to its face that would
force the ram on the shaper backwards. The impact force would be
transmitted from the ram through the rocker arm to the gear train. If
this is what happened, I would expect more damage than just the rocker
arm to have occurred.

Here is some eye candy...I am not responsible for cleaning the drool
off your monitor ;).

http://www.jamesriser.com/Sheldon/Shaper.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=sh...r=&sa=N&tab=wi

Hopefully this information will make your search a bit easier.

The Sheldon shaper is a very nice shaper....I still kick myself for the
one I didn't buy ten years ago.

Good luck with your search...it's worth the trouble.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Yep...there is no where to hide.

Now stop and consider how many databases have your personal data in
them....

Welcome to the Brave New World.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Yes, Gunner, it is Davis and Wells that I've been in communiction with.
He sent me pictures awhile back, the lathe from the picture quality is
hard to even get a rough idea from. I made the offer as I stated above
just to start some sort of negotiation but I not heard back. It its
not inconvenient for you, I would appreciate a first hand assessment
from you. Thanks. By the way, any idea on how to economically
transport a machine such as this about 75 miles distance?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 26 Mar 2006 00:02:07 -0800, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Yes, Gunner, it is Davis and Wells that I've been in communiction with.
He sent me pictures awhile back, the lathe from the picture quality is
hard to even get a rough idea from. I made the offer as I stated above
just to start some sort of negotiation but I not heard back. It its
not inconvenient for you, I would appreciate a first hand assessment
from you. Thanks. By the way, any idea on how to economically
transport a machine such as this about 75 miles distance?

Sure..Ill go by and talk to Dan.

Got a pickup truck?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Gunner,
I do have a full size GMC pickup truck. Perhaps renting a 4 wheel car
trailer would be adequate for such a transport?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 26 Mar 2006 11:24:37 -0800, "trg-s338"
wrote:

Gunner,
I do have a full size GMC pickup truck. Perhaps renting a 4 wheel car
trailer would be adequate for such a transport?

As I recall... a 12" sheldon should fit in your pickup fairly well.
Getting it out..well..best have some help or a hydrocrane.

Ill go see Dan this coming week and see what he has.

Call him and tell him Ill be by. He knows me, not well..but well
enough.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser

Guys;
I moved mine 125 miles in the rain with a low U-Haul open bed trailer with a
drop down tailgate. I backed everything up to my carport, lowered the ramp
on the trailer, and pushed the 1600 pound 12" Sheldon shaper off into the
carport. Pipes under it made moving a snap. Out of a pickup bed would be a
pretty high drop. A forklift might be needed. I lifted mine (engine hoist)
onto a steel frame with heavy duty casters (after all of the required rust
removal, cleaning, painting, and parts making) and rolled it into the shop.
The steel frame is still under it! The shaper is on wooden blocks though.
I wanted it higher to get into my trifocal range of vision.
Jim

wrote:

Gunner,
I do have a full size GMC pickup truck. Perhaps renting a 4 wheel car
trailer would be adequate for such a transport?

As I recall... a 12" sheldon should fit in your pickup fairly well.
Getting it out..well..best have some help or a hydrocrane.

Ill go see Dan this coming week and see what he has.

Call him and tell him Ill be by. He knows me, not well..but well
enough.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser

I really should add that the 12" Sheldon shaper is very top heavy - be
careful that you do not tip it on its side when moving it.
Jim

ink.net...