Matt Zach

Default wtb : Big Shaper with sliding table

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will
either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp
single phase.
Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ?
Thanks again.
Matt

Jim Wilson

Matt Zach wrote...
I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter.

Whaaat??! Maybe not with some static converters, owing to the power
capacity drop, due to the missing leg. However, a balanced 10HP rotary
converter would *have* to work, unless the laws of physics have changed
lately.

Cheers!

Jim
Matt Zach

That is what someone else told me, but Delta said no...... I hope you are
correct, because I would be extremely happy with the Delta. Is there something
that I can challenge Delta with, to have them reconsider their statement that
'this shaper will not work with any phase converter' ??
Thanks, Jim !

Jim Wilson wrote:

Matt Zach wrote...
I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter.

Whaaat??! Maybe not with some static converters, owing to the power
capacity drop, due to the missing leg. However, a balanced 10HP rotary
converter would *have* to work, unless the laws of physics have changed
lately.

Cheers!

Jim

George M. Kazaka

Default Big Shaper with sliding table

Matt have you checked or even considered buying the machine without a motor
and purchasing your own
I am not familiar with this shaper and do not know whether Delta has a
special moptor mount as in the Unisaw
Might be worth looking into.
"Matt Zach" wrote in message
I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will
either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp
single phase.
Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ?
Thanks again.
Matt

In article ,
Matt Zach wrote:

That is what someone else told me, but Delta said no...... I hope you are
correct, because I would be extremely happy with the Delta. Is there something
that I can challenge Delta with, to have them reconsider their statement that
'this shaper will not work with any phase converter' ??

Ask them if that applies to the rotary phase converters at the electric utility
power _generating_ facility.

Then ask what the difference is between _that_ phase converter, and an
on-site motor-generator set configured as a rotary phase converter.

The response should be entertaining. evil grin

Thanks, Jim !

Jim Wilson wrote:

Matt Zach wrote...
I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter.

Whaaat??! Maybe not with some static converters, owing to the power
capacity drop, due to the missing leg. However, a balanced 10HP rotary
converter would *have* to work, unless the laws of physics have changed
lately.

Cheers!

Jim

David F. Eisan

Hello there,

Matt have you checked or even considered buying the machine without a

motor
and purchasing your own

My thoughts exactly. You can buy a 7.5 hp single phase motor to replace the
three phase unit the machine comes with.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
Crowbar FAQ http://www.klownhammer.org/crowbar

Brian Elfert

Matt Zach writes:

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will

Could you not just buy a single phase 5HP motor to replace the 7.5HP one?
Or, does the Delta motor have a unique frame like the Unisaw?

A replacement motor might not be any more expensive than a phase
converter.

Brian Elfert
Matt Zach

I called Delta back again. I told them what responses I got from this NG and
from the folks that sell the rotary phase converters. Delta says they meant
that if I use a phase converter, that I will void the warranty of the
shaper. But they still could not say if it worked or not. My gut feel after
reading the responses here is that it will work. The folks at the converter
company, said they have sold thousands of them for shapers.
Thanks again for all your very valuable feedback !
Matt

Matt Zach wrote:

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will
either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp
single phase.
Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ?
Thanks again.
Matt

Al Reid

My brother has a Delta Shaper (7.5 hp), Delta Planer (7.5 hp) and 16" table saw, etc... all running from a 20 hp rotary phase
converter. No problems whatsoever.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Matt Zach wrote:

I was ready to buy the DELTA SLIDING TABLE SHAPER MDL. 43-792 ( 7 1/2 HP
3 phase ), when I found out that Delta claims that it will not run with
a phase converter. So, now I am looking for another shaper that will
either work with a phase converter, if it is 3 phase, or maybe a 5hp
single phase.
Can anyone recommend a quality shaper with a sliding table ?
Thanks again.
Matt

Jim Wilson

Matt Zach wrote...
That is what someone else told me, but Delta said no...... I hope you are
correct, because I would be extremely happy with the Delta. Is there something
that I can challenge Delta with, to have them reconsider their statement that
'this shaper will not work with any phase converter' ??

I don't see the need to challenge them. You just want to know the power
requirements for your tool (*your* tool). They can spec voltage, current,
frequency, phase angle, and balance requirements, and perhaps load change
response, but I doubt they go into that much detail. I can't think of any
other power characteristic the machine might require.

It is patently ridiculous for them to spec the power source itself.
(Kirchoff could have a field day with that!)

Your challenge, once you know what the machine requires, is to provide
for it a power source that meets all the specs. I'd be astonished to find
this impossible to achieve with a rotary converter.

Jim

Jim Wilson

Matt Zach wrote...
Delta says they meant that if I use a phase converter, that I will void
the warranty of the shaper.

Get a copy of the warranty and see if it specifically states that. If
not, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If so, though, I'd
be obliged if you could post the relevant portion(s) of the warranty
here.

Honestly, it makes about as much sense that they would void the warranty
if you operated it without wearing pink underwear. (G)

Jim