Unisaw A100

Default router table or shaper

Router Table = Your chance to build The Ultimate Router
Table.

Shaper = Don't listen to Tom Watson.

UA100
Leon

I think you will find that you would use the router table more if you
actually had both.....
A shaper would be nice add on later if you think you needed it.

"Rob" wrote in message
.com...
I am thinking about either a router table or a shaper. Are they basicaly

the
same thing or do they have different missions?

Other then the obvious difference of the router being able to be used
outside the table.

Rob

Wilson Lamb

Search back...this has been up many times.
The router is more versatile and much safer. Get one and learn to use it.
Build a simple table and learn to use that. Then, if yoou know you need it,
think about the router.

The big difference is that the router follows the board surface. If your
wood is twisted, warped, or varies in thinkness, the shaper will not work
correctly. If you make your own lumber, or salvage, or just don't get
perfedt stock, this will be a problem.

The shaper is much more powerful and there's no contest for raising panels
with big cutters, BUT there are vertical panel raiser bits that overcome
this problem to some extent, I think. I haven't used one, but it seems the
answer if you want a wide cut.

I think there are much better things to buy, UNLESS you are doing a lot of
panels. All the other door cuts are easy with a router, especially in a
table.

Wilson