Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

The 2006 six speed Jeep Wrangler has a very dangerous design flaw. New for
the 2006 Jeep Wrangler is the six speed transmissions and what I have
recently learned the "hard way" is part of the redesign includes the clutch
assembly. The clutch rod comes out of the floor board and attaches to the
clutch pedal with a clip/attachment that bolts onto the clutch pedal. The
problem here is as part of their new design the clip or attachment piece is
made of "plastic" and I found that it can break very easily and disable your
Jeep. I learned this fact this last weekend and if I had been rock climbing
or in the desert instead of in town I might not be here letting all you Jeep
owners know about this very dangerous problem. In addition to this problem
and being 165 miles from home I had a big eye opener on how rude,
uncooperative, uncaring and totally unhelpful I found DaimlerChrysler
Corporation to be. Read the details of my past weekend and see how
dangerous and potentially deadly this problem can be unless DaimlerChrysler
Corporation corrects it! I almost forgot to mention that even though it was
a warranted part it turned out to be a very expensive problem for me as
well.

I live in Flagstaff, Arizona and I had planned to go the valley/Phoenix area
this last weekend, February 25th for two reasons. My family and I were
driving down to the valley to celebrate my daughter's 13th birthday with
family and friends and to go to the Cross Roads of the West gun show in
Phoenix. For those who don't know the area it is about 150 to 175 miles one
way from Flagstaff, depending on where in the valley you are going. Since
we were just planning on going down for the day I only took a couple of days
supply of my medications and left behind some medical equipment I use due to
a fall I had about eight years ago that severely damaged my lower back.
After I dropped off my wife and my daughter at her sister's house in
Chandler to get ready for the birthday party my son and I headed off to the
gun show. (I don't understand why my wife and daughter never want to go to
the gun show)?

My son and I drive to the gun show at the Phoenix coliseum and entered the
parking area and we paid for parking. As we proceeded forward, I pushed
down on the clutch to put the Jeep into gear and heard a loud pop and the
clutch pedal drops to the floor and the Jeep shuts down. Unable to restart
my Jeep and the people behind us honking their horns, my son and one of the
parking lot attendants proceeds to push the Jeep off to the side area,
getting it out of the way of the entrance. After I got over the shock of my
new 2006 Jeep breaking down, then the thoughts of being late to my daughter's
party and being this close to the gun show and missing it due to my Jeep
breaking down in the parking lot, I then called road side assistance. Less
then an hour later the tow truck arrives and takes my Jeep to the nearest
Jeep dealership, which was Bill Luke in Phoenix. My son and I are now
stranded at the Phoenix coliseum and have to call my wife to pick us up or
bring us some transportation. Due to the time of day that this happened we
learned that the car rental places including the one at the dealership were
all closed. I then received a call from the Jeep dealership confirming that
my Jeep had arrived but due to their heavy work schedule they would not be
able to even look at my Jeep until Monday morning. Now stranded at my
sister in-law's home in Chandler, don't take this wrong, God has blessed me
with all of my wife's brothers and sisters who are the best, but I really
hate to impose on anyone, especially when I'm not in the best of mood. I
really hated missing the Gun Show!! Sunday morning I call the dealership
and learn that the Enterprise rental was closed on Sunday and they were the
only car rental place in the area. After calling the Enterprise 800 number
I learned they were all closed on Sunday and would spend another day
stranded. I'm still not able to go to the gun show!!

Monday morning I call the dealership and learn that the part that connects
the clutch to the clutch pedal that broke is all inclusive to the clutch
system. This means they cannot just replace the plastic clip part - they
have to replace the entire clutch. To make matters worse, they cannot find
any of these new clutch systems in Arizona. The only available one they can
find is in Oregon and they will have to have it sent overnight to Phoenix.
They explained the earliest they would be able to have my Jeep fixed if they
rushed it would be Wednesday. As I explained at the beginning of the
letter, we left Flagstaff to only spend the day in the valley, and I did not
bring my medical equipment or medications for more than a couple of days. I
was out of medication and over 165 miles from home. Due to my medications
and my medical condition this was truly a life threatening situation for me.
Being out of medications and the fact my Jeep would not be fixed for at
least a couple of more days I had to find a way home or arrange to get some
of my medication quickly. My oldest son drove down during the weekend and
picked up my wife to take her back to Flagstaff, due to the fact that my
wife and son both had to be at work and my daughter to school first thing
Monday morning. This is when we thought that I could pick up my Jeep on
Monday and just drive it home. (Before we knew it was an all inclusive part
and the entire clutch would need to be replaced all because of this stupid
plastic clip). Yep! I'm still mad I missed the gun show!!

I made my first call to DaimlerChrysler Corporation around 8:30 a.m. to see
if they could assist me in getting a rental car and or a hotel room in
Phoenix near the dealership so as not to have to impose on others to drive
me back and forth to and from the dealership. I spoke to DaimlerChrysler
Corporation and their various departments and ended up being put on hold for
about the next six hours until about 3:40 p.m.. I explained to the people
at DaimlerChrysler Corporation about the need for my medications and that I
was stranded in Phoenix approximately 150 miles from home. They were able
to retrieve my information from their system and verify I was telling them
the truth. But the responses I received like "that's tough" or "too bad" or
flat out "no we will not help you or reimburse you for a hotel stay a rental
car or even towing if you are charged for the towing". The only offer of
any help I received was from the actual Dealership (Bill Luke). According
to the Service Manager, he told me that he and the Service Director felt bad
that they had to work on my New 2006 with less then 2K miles on it for a
warranted item. By the time my brother in-law had driven me to Phoenix they
had an Enterprise rental car waiting for me. Unlike DaimlerChrysler
Corporation, the dealership was very helpful.

I was still a little fearful in driving back up to Flagstaff. I was
fearful as I had explained to the many people I spoke to at DaimlerChrysler
Corporation because one of the many medications I had run out of was a
medication for Narcolepsy. I take this medication to keep me from falling
asleep while driving. As I had stated before, with the refusal of any help
from DaimlerChrysler Corporation and needing all my medications, I had no
other choice but to attempt the drive back up to Flagstaff. (But before I
did I made sure to buy the additional insurance from Enterprise on the
rental car).

Even though I had made many stops between Flagstaff and Phoenix to try and
stay awake, I did fall asleep about a mile outside of Cordes Junction where
I caught myself driving down the middle of the road and hurriedly pulled
into the Cordes Junction turnoff and into a store parking lot where I fell
asleep and slept for the next 30 plus minutes. After I woke up I bought
myself some coffee and attempted to continue on to Flagstaff. I was doing
okay until around Munds Park, where it became a major struggle to stay
awake. I was really fighting to stay awake and I had made it to the Little
America Hotel in Flagstaff where I pulled into the parking lot and passed
out. I was awakened about an hour latter by my daughter knocking on the car
window to wake me up. My daughter and wife came looking for me when I was
so late in getting home. I followed them the rest of the way home. The
Jeep was repaired and ready for pick up on Wednesday, which required my wife
to take off work and go with me to pick it up.

Although my medical problems may be unique, I think that in reading this
letter most of you can see how someone might also become stranded four
wheeling in the country back roads or in the desert somewhere. The fathers
out there who may be looking to buy a Jeep for their sons or daughters
beware of not only the chance of their Jeep breaking down but also knowing
they will not receive any help from DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

Please, send this letter to everyone who may own a 2006 Jeep six speed or
who maybe thinking of buying one. If you happen to own one of these Jeeps
already be careful and email or write DaimlerChrysler Corporation to get
them to recall and fix this stupid design flaw. I write this letter to only
warn everyone before someone has to be hunted down by the Sheriff's posse or
another rescue unit or misses a gun show due to a broken clutch.

Thank you to the kind staff at Bill Luke who helped to get my Jeep back on
the road.

Tim Feavel

Flagstaff, Arizona

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

The 2006 six speed Jeep Wrangler has a very dangerous design flaw. New for
the 2006 Jeep Wrangler is the six speed transmissions and what I have
recently learned the "hard way" is part of the redesign includes the clutch
assembly. The clutch rod comes out of the floor board and attaches to the
clutch pedal with a clip/attachment that bolts onto the clutch pedal. The
problem here is as part of their new design the clip or attachment piece is
made of "plastic" and I found that it can break very easily and disable your
Jeep. ........

I have had clutch linkage failure in several vehicles. You can still
drive the vehicle. You can carefully shift between gears when the
vehicle is moving without a clutch, and you can start and stop in 1st
gear by turning the engine off or starting it in gear.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

This used to be true. The safety lockout on the clutch used to be on the
pedal and if you could push the pedal in you could start it in gear. They
moved the switch on several newer rigs and the linkage hase to move to start
now. Some older rigs even had a clutch lockout bypass switch that was a
momentary switch so you could start in gear. It is also something best
learned on a beater rather than a brand new cheep. Chrysler has a penchant
for making the LRU as big as possible .. like making the voltage regulator
for the alternator part of the main computer. a $20 part on most vehicles
becomes a $400 part and a weeks wait for replacement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Indeed, I've done the same thing on my truck when the plastic push rod
on the clutch master cylinder broke. Only problem is that this requires
technical knowledge which seems to be a rare thing these days. Used to
be everyone changed their own oil, now most people don't even know how
to check their oil much less change it.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

I figured a 'bad back' would find it's way into this fable somewhere....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

NOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!

Such horrible driving behavior! Don't you know you could kill somebody
(or be killed) like that?!?!? Why do you think all those interlocks that
keep you from starting your vehicle while it's in gear are there??? The
car makers know best! Trust me!

Nick, you need to be taken out behind the barn and flogged! Giving such
hideously dangerous advice like that on a public forum! Do you realize
how many lives you've put in danger??? Do you even *CARE*??? Oh, the
humanity!!!

grunting

sounds of a struggle

something that sounds suspiciously like a crowbar being dropped

HELP! My tounge is stuck in my cheek, and I can't pull it out!!!!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

The 2006 six speed Jeep Wrangler has a very dangerous design flaw. New for
the 2006 Jeep Wrangler is the six speed transmissions and what I have
recently learned the "hard way" is part of the redesign includes the clutch
assembly. The clutch rod comes out of the floor board and attaches to the
clutch pedal with a clip/attachment that bolts onto the clutch pedal. The
problem here is as part of their new design the clip or attachment piece is
made of "plastic" and I found that it can break very easily and disable your
Jeep.

Without being a materials engineer or a design
engineer on the project I think it would be hard
to tell if this were a design flaw or a defective
part.

Just because a part is "plastic" doesn't automatically
make it a design flaw. Furthermore, I think the
definition of "dangerous" in this useage should not
include "leaving you stranded". I acknowledge that
"Tim" has medical needs, but he still needs to take
the steps to insure his safety even if he does get
stranded, for whatever reason.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neil Nelson

In article ,
"Glenn" wrote:
snip
Chrysler has a penchant
for making the LRU as big as possible .. like making the voltage regulator
for the alternator part of the main computer. a $20 part on most vehicles
becomes a $400 part and a weeks wait for replacement.

Nothing stopping you from hanging a $20 voltage regulator and
bypassing the one in the main computer...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Jim Stewart wrote:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Plastic doesn't automatically mean a design flaw since quality
engineering plastics can be plenty strong, however this being a part on
an automobile and quality plastics being expensive, there is a high
probability that it is a cost cutting design flaw.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:38:44 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

--snip--

Not really. WWII vintage Jeeps were a man's vehicle, built to be
driven anywhere and everywhere. Today, Jeeps are yard ornaments,
built to look nice when parked in front of your house. Like your
lawn, today's Jeeps are not meant to be seen away from home.

Don't blame DaimlerChrysler. They are only building what wussy
consumers want to purchase. Anything more rugged that the company
tried to build, didn't sell, which is why they had to put the
"Diamler" part in front of "Chrysler".

Last summer, I spotted the following sign at an entrance to a tourist
area that pretty well summarizes today's Jeep purchaser:

ATTENTION: 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE OWNERS

Parking your vehicle with two wheels on the sidewalk does not
constitute taking your vehicle "off-road". You will be charged with a
parking violation.

We have paved trails for off-road vehicle activities at designated
locations. Ask for your "off-road" map at the park administration
office. Entering designated off-road areas is at your own risk.

At one time, a Jeep looked like, and performed like, a vehicle for all
occasions. That is, until the wusses became the target market.
Today, it looks like, and performs like, a whore that got raped by an
army but, this is not news.

If you want a real Jeep, build yourself a Willys Jeep replica with
parts made from rustproof stainless steel, not plastic. It will be
the best investment you make.

Kits available from: http://www.geep.biz/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Gunner wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

The 2006 six speed Jeep Wrangler has a very dangerous design flaw. New for
the 2006 Jeep Wrangler is the six speed transmissions and what I have
recently learned the "hard way" is part of the redesign includes the clutch
assembly. The clutch rod comes out of the floor board and attaches to the
clutch pedal with a clip/attachment that bolts onto the clutch pedal. The
problem here is as part of their new design the clip or attachment piece is
made of "plastic" and I found that it can break very easily and disable your
Jeep. I learned this fact this last weekend and if I had been rock climbing..............

Ach, It's the dastardly Daimler influence..
"Ve haf veys of making you valk!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

--snip--

Not really. WWII vintage Jeeps were a man's vehicle, built to be
driven anywhere and everywhere. Today, Jeeps are yard ornaments,
built to look nice when parked in front of your house. Like your
lawn, today's Jeeps are not meant to be seen away from home.

Don't blame DaimlerChrysler. They are only building what wussy
consumers want to purchase. Anything more rugged that the company
tried to build, didn't sell, which is why they had to put the
"Diamler" part in front of "Chrysler".

The old Jeeps had their problems as well. My father ran a motor pool in the
1950's and was not all that impressed with the reliability of Jeeps in
peacetime service. As far as Chrysler goes, they just do not build quality
vehicles. The automatic transmissions in particular suck. The Cherokee was a
good concept, which has of course been copied and improved upon by quite a
few more quality oriented manufacturers. It's too bad they don't make better
vehicles because they have been coming up with some nice designs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

"Neil Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"Glenn" wrote:
snip
Chrysler has a penchant
for making the LRU as big as possible .. like making the voltage
regulator
for the alternator part of the main computer. a $20 part on most
vehicles
becomes a $400 part and a weeks wait for replacement.

Nothing stopping you from hanging a $20 voltage regulator and
bypassing the one in the main computer...

True .. but you have to replae the alternator to get there and it leaves the
fault lights on on the dash. Not a problem for me .. I wouldn't even
consider a Chrysler product for my own use.
Glenn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Pete C. says...

Indeed, I've done the same thing on my truck when the plastic push rod
on the clutch master cylinder broke. Only problem is that this requires
technical knowledge which seems to be a rare thing these days.

Yeah. Once I accidentally drove this thing:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/FordMB.jpg

all the way down to the corner store on only the starter motor. The
darn engine actually started on the way back by mistake and the
jeep almost doubled its speed. Nearly got away from me.

Yep folks drive cars nowadays that are chock-full of frou-frou
crap like heated seats and sat radio and power windows and remote
door locks and on and on. That's what car makers build because
that's what car buyers want. Nobody seems to know how to fix
em when they break, not even the folks who get paid to do it.

Cars shouldn't have software or operating systems.

It's sorta tough to drive those older jeeps without a clutch
because first isn't synchro and the gearbox honestly is built
like a tinkertoy, so when the clutch goes out on that thing
I don't try to baby it home, I just stop and figure out which
cotter pin fell out and stick a spare one on the clutch
pedal shaft. Or a nail or a paperclip or a piece of baling wire.

But folks sure do like driving those cars you can't fix. I figure
if they can afford to fix em then good on 'em. But when I see
one of them broken down by the side of the highway I don't bother
stopping because they have AAA and a credit card. OTOH I do
stop if there's some guy working on a junker by the roadside
because he probably knows what he's doing and owns a car he
can maintain and fix on his own.

I really am fascinated to see what's going to happen when the
current crop of vehicles gets on in years and all the fancy
stuff starts not working anymore.

In the meanwhile if you see a guy working on a junker by the
roadside, please stop because it's probably me.

Jim

Don't worry. I also stop for brokedown BMW
bikes. Of course I rarely see them...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

"Glenn" wrote:
snip
Chrysler has a penchant
for making the LRU as big as possible .. like making the voltage
regulator
for the alternator part of the main computer. a $20 part on most
vehicles
becomes a $400 part and a weeks wait for replacement.

Nothing stopping you from hanging a $20 voltage regulator and
bypassing the one in the main computer...

True .. but you have to replae the alternator to get there and it leaves the
fault lights on on the dash. Not a problem for me .. I wouldn't even
consider a Chrysler product for my own use.
Glenn

A lady friend of mine came over the other night..her LP lights, trunk
ajar light and center brake light were doing wierd ****..including
dimming the headlights when she hit the brake pedal.

Found the wiring loom between the trunk lid and the inside of the
trunk broken, shorted and the insulation cracked in at least 5
different places..with one wire broken clean and shorting others
already bare.

I think Ford is gonna have a real problem on their hands over this
one. The loom was well supported, nothing was pinching or abused and
in fact..the exterior cover of the loom showed no flaws or marks.

35,000 miles on the clock. 2003 Escort IRRC

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

well, let me defend Chrysler, in a somewhat underhanded way- on my web
page (www.wbnoble.com) in the hobbies section you will find photos of
two chrysler products that have been pretty reliable, a 1951 dodge and
a 1938 plymouth. The plymouth had fewer failures than the dodge - and
the dodge had some weird ones (like carb float cracking in half due to
metal fatigue), but both cars still run more than 50 years after being
built.

As for clutch linkages - I drove a morgan for a while, quickly learned
to drive without a clutch since it was frequently inop. Have done
same on my 56 porsche, havent had to do so on later cars, though I
have practiced on each one and can do so.

And, the problem that started this thread is NOT NOT NOT a hazard - a
car that does not run is by definition safe - if you are sufficiently
irresponsible to get yourself where the car must run and you have no
way for others to find you, that is a risk you take on your own - the
car could fail to run because you left the lights on too - is that
unsafe?

wrote:

[...]

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

--snip--

Not really. WWII vintage Jeeps were a man's vehicle, built to be
driven anywhere and everywhere. Today, Jeeps are yard ornaments,
built to look nice when parked in front of your house. Like your
lawn, today's Jeeps are not meant to be seen away from home.

Don't blame DaimlerChrysler. They are only building what wussy
consumers want to purchase. Anything more rugged that the company
tried to build, didn't sell, which is why they had to put the
"Diamler" part in front of "Chrysler".

Well, the real reason for this breakdown is that this may be the
first one they sold with a manual transmission. If they only sell a
couple a year, there's no need to do much testing on the parts.
Of course, after having two US-label vehicles in a row require
multi-thousand $ automatic transmission repairs, I'm not very
impressed with the supposed "reliability" of automatic transmissions,
either. On the Dodge Ram van, it was $3100, and they were able
to save the housing, I think. How the HELL much does a whole
transmission cost, anyway, for them to put $3100 into an overhaul?

I put 76,000 miles on a 1976 Chevy Vega. I burned up their ** 7" **
clutch plate at 18,000 mi, and put in a 14" clutch. Never had the
slightest problem with that system after the big clutch. (I decided
to NOT have this fixed under warranty, as it would KEEP on burning
up every 18,000 miles.)

I now have a 1989 Toyota Corolla wagon with 5-speed manual. It
has 158,000 miles on the ORIGINAL clutch. I have replaced the
starter at 110,000 mi, and the distributor cap/spark plug wire
assembly at 138,000. That is ALL the maintenance it has needed,
other than the usual tires, brakes, batteries, mufflers. So, total
unexpected maintenance has run $150, or less than TEN $ per YEAR!
This has to be close to a record, of course, and "they" may never build
a car like that again. (Detroit, of couse, will never even COMPREHEND
a vehicle like that.)

I can't even begin to imagine how many times that clutch pedal has
been pushed down and let up, it has to be close to a million!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neil Nelson

"Glenn" wrote:
snip
Chrysler has a penchant
for making the LRU as big as possible .. like making the voltage
regulator
for the alternator part of the main computer. a $20 part on most
vehicles
becomes a $400 part and a weeks wait for replacement.

Nothing stopping you from hanging a $20 voltage regulator and
bypassing the one in the main computer...

True .. but you have to replae the alternator to get there

You most certainly do not. The alternator doesn't care how [its]
field is controlled.

and it leaves the
fault lights on on the dash.

Depends on model year, and then, easily worked around with a
substitute resistance.

Not a problem for me .. I wouldn't even
consider a Chrysler product for my own use.

More for me then...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

wrote:

[...]

14" clutch? How big was the flywheel? Must have had a peculiar looking
flywheel housing.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Tom wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, maybe it WASN'T 14", but it was pretty big. The guy at the
auto parts store gave me two clutch plates and said only one would
fit. One was obviously the same as the OEM part, the other was
much larger. Maybe it was only 12" diameter. It was a perfect
match for the flywheel and (new) pressure plate, so whatever diameter
they were, the larger clutch disc was roughly the same. It caused
some pretty severe clutch chatter trouble, but worked really well
otherwise.

Ah, well, that was a LONG time ago!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don

I thought you said dangerous?
What this has to do with lathes , casting and machine work escapes me.
Also I happen to be very very pro Chrysler or Kreisler if you spell
Chrysler the way it was originally.