Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Pete C. says...

Indeed, I've done the same thing on my truck when the plastic push rod
on the clutch master cylinder broke. Only problem is that this requires
technical knowledge which seems to be a rare thing these days.

Yeah. Once I accidentally drove this thing:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/FordMB.jpg

all the way down to the corner store on only the starter motor. The
darn engine actually started on the way back by mistake and the
jeep almost doubled its speed. Nearly got away from me.

Yep folks drive cars nowadays that are chock-full of frou-frou
crap like heated seats and sat radio and power windows and remote
door locks and on and on. That's what car makers build because
that's what car buyers want. Nobody seems to know how to fix
em when they break, not even the folks who get paid to do it.

Cars shouldn't have software or operating systems.

It's sorta tough to drive those older jeeps without a clutch
because first isn't synchro and the gearbox honestly is built
like a tinkertoy, so when the clutch goes out on that thing
I don't try to baby it home, I just stop and figure out which
cotter pin fell out and stick a spare one on the clutch
pedal shaft. Or a nail or a paperclip or a piece of baling wire.

But folks sure do like driving those cars you can't fix. I figure
if they can afford to fix em then good on 'em. But when I see
one of them broken down by the side of the highway I don't bother
stopping because they have AAA and a credit card. OTOH I do
stop if there's some guy working on a junker by the roadside
because he probably knows what he's doing and owns a car he
can maintain and fix on his own.

I really am fascinated to see what's going to happen when the
current crop of vehicles gets on in years and all the fancy
stuff starts not working anymore.

In the meanwhile if you see a guy working on a junker by the
roadside, please stop because it's probably me.

Jim

Don't worry. I also stop for brokedown BMW
bikes. Of course I rarely see them...