Michael Press

Default Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael
CW

I use two CAD programs. Turbocad Pro and Intellicad. Turbocad will do an
excellent job for you and the 2D version is free. It's relatively easy to
learn (no CAD is easy but this one is better than most). No bill of
materials though. The other is Intellicad. An AutoCAD clone, it is, like
AutoCAD, harder to learn but has the advantage that tutorials for AutoCAD
are prevalent all over the net and are applicable to Intellicad. It will
also run LISP routines (automation). Free LISP routines are all over the
web. There are additional bill of material add ons available for it.
http://www.intellicadms.com/store/default.asp

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael

todd

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael

I would definitely go with MSC.Patran to do the solid modeling. You can
then link in other modules to do finite element analysis, thermal analysis,
etc. Oh, wait, did you say $100 or $100K? An average person can probably
pick it up in a couple of weeks. Since you're a programmer, I'd allow a
month.

todd

Roy Neudecker

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

Michael,

While I don't use it for my woodworking much I have been using QuickCad by
Autodesk recently. We are about to build a house and I've been using it to
generate ideas for inside the house and land placement. It works well for
me. It was well under $100. and will export in many of the popular Cad
files. Can even export into one file format then import into .jpg if need
be.

It will generate lists but will not create cutting lists. But the lists are
a simple database you might be able to export the list out to another sheet
cutting program.

As far as reviews. From what I remember on rec.woodworking this program is
not rated very high on the list. I don't know why because I've not used the
other programs. I suggest you do a search here to get some of the previous
discussions.

Roy

Swingman

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I have both TurboCAD and QuickCAD 8. I settled on the latter for measured
shop drawings and to use as a basis for a developing a cutlist. It fits
you're criteria for inexpensive +/- $50.

For cutlists, I use CutList Plus from Bridgewood Design and _highly_
recommend it. As a programmer you will appreciate the professionalism of the
author and his responsiveness to his customers input.

I am a rank amateur when it comes to CAD, but if you want to see a paltry
example of what a newbie can do with the program in a few minutes, check out
page 5 of my projects page, "708 style writing desk" ... just two simple
views, and not exhaustive by any means, but serves multiple purposes for me
for planning and execution of projects as I normally work without plans.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Darwin

Lastweek I purchased Autodesk QuickCad 8 at Staples for $53
w/tax. I am pleased with the program, and have used it to lay
out the next couple of projects. The learning curve isn't too
bad as it seems pretty intuitive. There's features I would like
have included...but for the money, I won't complain.

Good luck!

Darwin

Michael Press wrote in
:

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program
that's inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100)
and useful for designing furniture. This is purely weekend
hobby work, but I'd like precise drawings of my designs. I
also imagine that it would be useful to generate a bill of
materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map" of cuts on a sheet
of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist
woodworking point of view. (This article is what got me
thinging - http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep
learning curve.

Thanks,
Michael

gabriel

Have a look at SketchUp (www.sketchup.com). I have been evaluating it and
it works very very well for woodworking projects, and the learning curve is
not big at all, I can use it and I'm a programmer too. :-)

Anyway, I love this program already, I'm buying it.

--
gabriel
Mike G

When I use a CAD it is Turbocad. However I find it more a pain in the ass
and time consuming for general projects and only use it for specialized
situations or when I want to play what if.

Now cut lists, sheet layouts, pricing, and pick lists are a different story
and I highly recommend Cutlist plus http://www.bridgewooddesign.com/. They
have a limited trial version and three levels of working models.

As a side note on cut list plus. A lot of people I recommend the program too
are interested in many of the functions but indicate that pricing a project
isn't something they worry about because they do it for fun. We all run into
friends and relatives who want something built for them and will "give you a
little something for it". I strongly suggest that they run the job through
cut list plus. You'd be absolutely amazed at what that "little something"
actually comes out too, even without labor and overhead figured in. And,
when you quote what that "little something" might be, it's nice to have it
in black and white. Even nicer to have the job also run with overhead and
labor charges figured in so you can show them both.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael

Elizabeth Melanson

You should go to http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ and link to the
software
page It is a free software program I have been using it in my shop for about
a year you do have to have some knowledge of joinery though. I think this
would suit your needs very well
"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael

Morris Dovey

Michael Press wrote:
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program
that's inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and
useful for designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby
work, but I'd like precise drawings of my designs. I also
imagine that it would be useful to generate a bill of
materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map" of cuts on a sheet of
plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist
woodworking point of view. (This article is what got me
thinging - http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep
learning curve.

Given Mike Hide's suggestion, you may be able to find a bargain
price for a professional-level package.

I use DesignCAD (a 3D package) for my woodworking. I export DXF
files that are, in turn, imported into my CNC control software so
that I can make the drawing and produce the parts more or less
seamlessly.

Unless you're planning to use the package only for tables and
boxes (drawers, kitchen cabinets, and all things with
rectangular, flat sides) you would do well to consider a 3D
capability and features to deal with curved surfaces.

--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

gabriel

David Zaret wrote:

i agree that sketchup is great... but it's also $500.

Yeah, the only downside. I had a really good look at it, I made a sample
woodworking design and a sample bathroom remodel (with cabinetry, of
course) in the alloted tryout time.

It's amazing to me, that I could do three things in 8 hours of use (the
alloted tryout time): 1) Learn to use it with the online videos, 2)
Design a sample cabinet for my garage, and 3) Remodel a bathroom (toilet,
tub, shower, and cabinets) so that you could walk inside and see the
texture, color, and size proportions.

The really cool thing about SketchUp is that you can do a rough design
first, and then if you like it, you can refine it later. You do not need
to design stuff down to the millimeter at first. This is what frustrates
me about CAD. I need to see if it's a good idea first before I spend
hours and hours on details.

Even though I am not a pro, $500 is worth it because of the time and
material saved (I have made expensive design errors in the past), and
because I can use the program for our home improvements.

--
gabriel
Morris Dovey

gabriel wrote:

David Zaret wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with sketchup - but I noted that there's a
version 3 package on eBay - current bid: $70.

--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
C links at http://www.iedu.com/c
Read my lips: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

alexy

"Elizabeth Melanson" wrote:

You should go to http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ and link to the
software
page It is a free software program I have been using it in my shop for about
a year you do have to have some knowledge of joinery though. I think this
would suit your needs very well

But you need to be using it in a professional cabinet shop
environment. They won't give it to you if you tell them you are just a
weekend woodworker. at least that was my experience about a year ago.
--
Alex
Mike Hide

I am not talking about anything illegal . I am talking about copies of
turbocad. Ihave an old version 6.5 that Ibought from turbocad . From that I
learned the basics, enough to do my basic drawings, for a room I was
paneling . then I realized even with this version it would be years before I
could take advantage of the total program. CAD programs are so extensive
there are no end of stuff you can do with them . simple two dimensional
drawing doesnt even scratch the surface Autodesk is probably the rolls royce
of cad priograms and of course it comes with a rr pricetab, turbocad in my
opinion is a good alternative,and as Isaid earlier versions can be found on
ebay...mjh

--

"Russell" wrote in message
In article %XrYb.49524$jk2.117758@attbi_s53,
says...
You can pick up copies of CAD programs on EBay very cheaply....mjh

--

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's
inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure $100) and useful for
designing furniture. This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like
precise drawings of my designs. I also imagine that it would be
useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map"
of cuts on a sheet of plywood.

I'd also appreciate links to CAD reviews from a hobbyist woodworking
point of view. (This article is what got me thinging -
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/cad.shtml)

I'm a computer programmer, so I'm not afraid of a steep learning
curve.

Thanks,
Michael

Fine if they are new but remember that Autodesk are reknown for their
vicious attacks on illegal users and autodesk licences are not
transferable....

Mike Hide

I just checked Ebay there are versions on ebay for $30 you cant go wrong.
when I did the last library I used a local millwork company's moldings .
Their brochure had their molding shown full size and drawn to scale .I just
added this to my Turbocad library so I could add their moldings into my
drawings ..... If nothing else get a TC version just to learn on .

These programs not only have CNC applications but the later programs have
rendering features that show designs in almost any aspect with photographic
quality . Thjere are not that many customers that understand
blueprints/drawings but most do comprehend pictures...mjh

--

"Russell" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

I use AutoCAD Lite and it works fine. I don't think you can get it for
under $100 though. I think I paid over $300, but I use it for work also. I
draw almost everything I make and for small patterns and such, I print full
scale. This weekend I made some bandsaw candle holders and just printed
out the patterns full-scale and glued them to the stock to cut. Works
great.

CW

Turbocad's license agreement states that it is transferable. AutoCAD's days
of being top of the line are long gone. Technological advancements have seen
to that. You can get far higher performance for far less money. Turbocad, in
various versions, shows up on Ebay all the time. Version 8 Professional
(they're up to 9.5 now) can often be had for less than $100.00 and has
capabilities that you will probably never take full advantage of. Be aware
though that Turbocad comes in three packages: Designer, Standard and
Professional. If 2D is all you want, any of them will do. If 3D is in your
future, Professional is the one to get.
Done in version 8 Professional:
http://www3.imsisoft.com/turbocad/co...ry/index1.html

"Russell" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

Nothing wrong with ACLT but I wouldn't pay what they want for it.
I use Turbocad Pro and Intellicad.

I would too if I was paying but my company pays and that is what they
chose. And, I don't have to convert to take to work and plot full-scale.

CW

"Bruce" wrote in message
In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

Nothing wrong with ACLT but I wouldn't pay what they want for it.
I use Turbocad Pro and Intellicad.

I would too if I was paying but my company pays and that is what they
chose.

If I'm working for somebody that uses something different, that's what I
use.

And, I don't have to convert to take to work and plot full-scale.

Neither do I.

Unisaw A100

CW wrote:
AutoCAD's days of being top of the line are long gone.

Actually this isn't entirely true. At least not in the
architectural woodwork business.

UA100, cabinet drawerer...
CW

Yes, it is if you look at it from a performance standpoint. People continue
to buy it on reputation.
It's the same as any other brand name product. It sells. Many people by the
name.

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
CW wrote:
AutoCAD's days of being top of the line are long gone.

Actually this isn't entirely true. At least not in the
architectural woodwork business.

UA100, cabinet drawerer...

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

Yes, it is if you look at it from a performance standpoint. People continue
to buy it on reputation.
It's the same as any other brand name product. It sells. Many people by the
name.

Are you implying that performance is an issue in 2D CAD with today's
computers? I don't think so.
Tom Watson

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:24:50 -0800, "CW"
wrote:
AutoCAD's days of being top of the line are long gone.

?

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Brian

Default Good Mac (OS X) Woodworking Software (was: Anyone use CAD software to design projects?)

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. Any recommendations?
(And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is
neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)

TIA!
Brian
Unisaw A100

CW wrote:
Yes, it is if you look at it from a performance standpoint. People continue
to buy it on reputation.

Oh. I misunderstood. You must be right.

UA100
Tom Watson

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:50:39 -0600, Unisaw A100
wrote:

CW wrote:
Yes, it is if you look at it from a performance standpoint. People continue
to buy it on reputation.

Oh. I misunderstood. You must be right.

UA100

Do you prefer the old irony to the newer sort?

I've been told that the old irony was allowed to sit around and season
for a good bit before being cleaned up and put into the game whilst
the newer stuff is thrown into the game full of unresolved stresses
that can result in severe deformation and pockets of brittleness.

Of course, when dropped from a twenty story building, both will have
approximately the same impact and to one so impacted, they would
appear to be very nearly indistinguishable.

That is, if they have any impact at all.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)
Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

CW

The ability, or lack thereof, of the software makes a lot of difference.

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

Yes, it is if you look at it from a performance standpoint. People

continue
to buy it on reputation.
It's the same as any other brand name product. It sells. Many people by

the
name.

Are you implying that performance is an issue in 2D CAD with today's
computers? I don't think so.

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"CW" wrote:

Are you implying that performance is an issue in 2D CAD with today's
computers? I don't think so.

The ability, or lack thereof, of the software makes a lot of difference.

Please elaborate on what the hell you are talking about. You used the word
performance. I guess I'm not sure what your connotation is because a plain
jane PIII 700 can regen the most complex 2D AutoCAD drawings in seconds.

Now you use the word "ability" of the software. Ignoring the
personification of software, what "abilities" does TurboCAD or whatever
you're pushing have that AutoCAD doesn't?

gabriel

Bruce wrote:

Now you use the word "ability" of the software. Ignoring the
personification of software, what "abilities" does TurboCAD or
whatever you're pushing have that AutoCAD doesn't?

The guy was just trying to say that whatever made AutoCAD top of the line,
does not anymore. You can get pretty cheap products that do the same
things.

You don't need to get all defensive about it. Just keep using AutoCAD if
you so please...

--
gabriel

gabriel

Brian wrote:

(And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is
neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)

At least accept that it's a recommendation that you don't like. You need
not perpetuate the idea that of all the Mac users, only the zealots are
left...

--
gabriel
Bruce

In rec.woodworking
gabriel wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Now you use the word "ability" of the software. Ignoring the
personification of software, what "abilities" does TurboCAD or
whatever you're pushing have that AutoCAD doesn't?

The guy was just trying to say that whatever made AutoCAD top of the line,
does not anymore. You can get pretty cheap products that do the same
things.

You don't need to get all defensive about it. Just keep using AutoCAD if
you so please...

I will keep using it. The defensive one is him. I'm not promoting
AutoCAD, he is demoting it and pushing other products.
Dave Balderstone

In article , Brian
wrote:

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. Any recommendations?
(And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is
neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)

I haven't played with it yet, but have a look at Design Intuition

And get used to the "switch" cracks... When it comes to this stuff,
windozers do have a lot more choice than we do. Encourage the folks
that are developing for Mac. If you like, buy!

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
CW

Take a look at this site. I haven't tried any of them (dont have a Mac).
http://www.caddepot.com/dcd1/CAD_Dem.../CAD_Programs/

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Brian
wrote:

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. Any recommendations?
(And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is
neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)

I haven't played with it yet, but have a look at Design Intuition

And get used to the "switch" cracks... When it comes to this stuff,
windozers do have a lot more choice than we do. Encourage the folks
that are developing for Mac. If you like, buy!

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

CW

There was a time when AutoCAD was top of the line in CAD technology. As with
any technology, success breeds competition. There are enough choices of good
products now that what is "best" is a subjective thing. It depends on what
you want to do. 2D only? Your choices are many. Have specific tasks for this
package that will require customization? AutoCAD shines here and, in the
lite version, is a good value for the money. Think 3D will be more your
thing? AutoCAD starts looking worse. There are far more capable programs.
There are a lot of choices and things to consider when putting what could
potentially be a lot of money into something like a CAD package. A lot of it
is personal preference. There is no point in having something technically
superior if you hate using it.
What I use: Turbocad Pro. Very good 3D/2D package with the emphasis on 3D.
Intellicad. So much like AutoCAD, if you can run one, you can run the other.
Are either of these the best? Yes, no, maybe, it depends.
BTW, of the programs mentioned, the only one that fits the original criteria
of about $100.00 is intellicad in its lite version.

"gabriel" wrote in message
rvers.com...

The guy was just trying to say that whatever made AutoCAD top of the line,
does not anymore. You can get pretty cheap products that do the same
things.

--
gabriel

Bathroom Design Software Trevor Oakley UK diy 7 January 12th 04 06:02 AM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 1 October 6th 03 02:22 PM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 0 October 6th 03 08:08 AM
3-D Design Software Roger Mills UK diy 8 October 5th 03 05:58 AM
House Building Design Software? Reteplav UK diy 1 September 8th 03 02:08 AM