Roger Mills

Default 3-D Design Software

There are often questions in this NG about 3-D design software for various
purposes.

If anyone is interested, there is a fully functional version of TurboCAD 7.1
on the cover disk of the December (yes I know!) edition of PC Plus magazine,
which is now available.

As far as I know, this is general purpose design software, and is not aimed
at any particular area - such as house design or mechanical engineering -
although it can, of course be used for these things and many more.

Like all CAD software, it is likely to have a steep learning curve - but
with the winter evenings coming on, I thought some people might be
interested in having a go.

Roger

dave

"Roger Mills" wrote in message ...
There are often questions in this NG about 3-D design software for various
purposes.

If anyone is interested, there is a fully functional version of TurboCAD 7.1
on the cover disk of the December (yes I know!) edition of PC Plus magazine,
which is now available.

As far as I know, this is general purpose design software, and is not aimed
at any particular area - such as house design or mechanical engineering -
although it can, of course be used for these things and many more.

Like all CAD software, it is likely to have a steep learning curve - but
with the winter evenings coming on, I thought some people might be
interested in having a go.

Roger

Thanks for the tip. I am looking for some software to plan floor areas
and to plan an extension. I used IMSI floorplan v2 but no longer works
with my operating system ( windows NT ). 3d not necessary. there are
loads of yank programmes but sizes of bathroom units etc are way out
so not useful. Any recommondations ?
Roger Mills

"dave" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't think there's a simple answer. As you say, Yank programs come with
the wrong sized fittings.

I'm not sure whether TurboCAD comes with any libraries of standard parts at
all - but you can always design your own, and thus ensure that they meet
your requirements. I think this is the approach I would probably take,
because it's very flexible - albeit slower than a ready-made solution.

Roger

David Green

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
There are often questions in this NG about 3-D design software for various
purposes.

If anyone is interested, there is a fully functional version of TurboCAD

7.1
on the cover disk of the December (yes I know!) edition of PC Plus

magazine,
which is now available.

As far as I know, this is general purpose design software, and is not

aimed
at any particular area - such as house design or mechanical engineering -
although it can, of course be used for these things and many more.

Like all CAD software, it is likely to have a steep learning curve - but
with the winter evenings coming on, I thought some people might be
interested in having a go.

For the kitchen and bathroom, try 'Kitchendraw'
(http://www.kitchendraw.com/) , it's really excellent. UK based catalogues
of units and fitments can be downloaded, and you can use it for FREE for 24
hours (of actual design time). Professionals apparently use it and buy extra
time. I designed our kitchen and utlity room, generated lighting plans for
the electrician, plumbing for plumber etc over the last 6 months. Still have
7 hrs left! We were able to produce plan drawings for the units and
appliances, plus the downlighter positions, and elevations of each wall.

David Green
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
DON'T MAIL THE REPLY ADDRESS! Before you click 'Send',

dg

The best design software for conceptual and illustrative purposes is
Sketchup - www.sketchup.com

Most CAD software involves the need to learn the software. Sketchup as a few
basic commands from which you can develop a full 3d model and render it
with shadows and shading - you just get on with the design. It really is
very easy to use.

Many architectural practices use it to present the design to clients or
planning depts.

Its not free, about $470, but if you are a designer, then this is a must
have.

There are examples and tutorials on their site, and you can try the software
for 8 hours before purchase. However, it is worth every penny.

dg

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
There are often questions in this NG about 3-D design software for various
purposes.

If anyone is interested, there is a fully functional version of TurboCAD

7.1
on the cover disk of the December (yes I know!) edition of PC Plus

magazine,
which is now available.

As far as I know, this is general purpose design software, and is not

aimed
at any particular area - such as house design or mechanical engineering -
although it can, of course be used for these things and many more.

Like all CAD software, it is likely to have a steep learning curve - but
with the winter evenings coming on, I thought some people might be
interested in having a go.

Roger

Gnube

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:12:08 +0100, "dg"
wrote:

The best design software for conceptual and illustrative purposes is
Sketchup - www.sketchup.com

Most CAD software involves the need to learn the software. Sketchup as a few
basic commands from which you can develop a full 3d model and render it
with shadows and shading - you just get on with the design. It really is
very easy to use.

Many architectural practices use it to present the design to clients or
planning depts.

Its not free, about $470, but if you are a designer, then this is a must
have.

There are examples and tutorials on their site, and you can try the software
for 8 hours before purchase. However, it is worth every penny.

dg

Just went for a look, and for a beginner it might well be OK, not too
shabby at all. OK for rough sketch work. I was left with the
impression that it's a bit like a "microwave ready meal"; expensive
for what it is, but would probably do the job "close enough for jazz"
if you're in a hurry, assuming the cooking directions do in fact work
out OK.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
dg

Have a look at some of the work done in the forums and in the galllery. The
detail is amazing.

Don't be put off by its apparent simplicity - we, along with some other
users, have started to use it for the initial and intermediate design
stages, and then only convert the model back to Autocad to mark up and
print.

If you are going to take the trial, then be sure to watch the tutorial
videos first. You'll be working in no time.

dg

wrote:

[...]

Gnube

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 18:10:27 +0100, "dg"
wrote:

Have a look at some of the work done in the forums and in the galllery.

I did.

The
detail is amazing.

! ;O)

Don't be put off by its apparent simplicity - we, along with some other
users, have started to use it for the initial and intermediate design
stages, and then only convert the model back to Autocad to mark up and
print.

Not put off in the slightest, I totally agree, it looks fine and
pretty simple.

If you are going to take the trial, then be sure to watch the tutorial
videos first. You'll be working in no time.

I think I'll stick with Lightwave ;O)

Others might well like it if they are learning about 3d for use in DIY
though. It's definitely a good idea to have something with which to
work in 3d, so as to ease some DIY stuff through the planning and
speccing stages. I'm working on something at present when I get the
odd moment, and I'm on the "real world" MK3 now, but it's had
literally hundreds of revisions in 3d - I could never even have
afforded the materials alone for those in the real world, never mind
the time.

One aspect where it really can help is with morale; if you've got a
working one in 3d it can drive you on even if a project is a "proper
sod" since you can see where you are headed, that the end result will
be sound, and therefore worthwhile continuing. You can't buy a boost
like that really.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

House Building Design Software? Reteplav UK diy 1 September 8th 03 02:08 AM
Tax software Snowman UK diy 6 September 2nd 03 10:03 PM
Furniture Design Software Dave P-B UK diy 2 August 31st 03 11:16 PM
central heating - flow & return circuit design Rob UK diy 21 August 29th 03 08:33 PM
French Windows - Draught and Weather sealing by design ? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 23rd 03 05:30 PM