dg

Default 3-D Design Software

Have a look at some of the work done in the forums and in the galllery. The
detail is amazing.

Don't be put off by its apparent simplicity - we, along with some other
users, have started to use it for the initial and intermediate design
stages, and then only convert the model back to Autocad to mark up and
print.

If you are going to take the trial, then be sure to watch the tutorial
videos first. You'll be working in no time.

dg

"Gnube" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:12:08 +0100, "dg"
wrote:

The best design software for conceptual and illustrative purposes is
Sketchup - www.sketchup.com

Most CAD software involves the need to learn the software. Sketchup as a

few
basic commands from which you can develop a full 3d model and render it
with shadows and shading - you just get on with the design. It really is
very easy to use.

Many architectural practices use it to present the design to clients or
planning depts.

Its not free, about $470, but if you are a designer, then this is a must
have.

There are examples and tutorials on their site, and you can try the

software
for 8 hours before purchase. However, it is worth every penny.

dg

Just went for a look, and for a beginner it might well be OK, not too
shabby at all. OK for rough sketch work. I was left with the
impression that it's a bit like a "microwave ready meal"; expensive
for what it is, but would probably do the job "close enough for jazz"
if you're in a hurry, assuming the cooking directions do in fact work
out OK.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}