dg

Default 3-D Design Software

The best design software for conceptual and illustrative purposes is
Sketchup - www.sketchup.com

Most CAD software involves the need to learn the software. Sketchup as a few
basic commands from which you can develop a full 3d model and render it
with shadows and shading - you just get on with the design. It really is
very easy to use.

Many architectural practices use it to present the design to clients or
planning depts.

Its not free, about $470, but if you are a designer, then this is a must
have.

There are examples and tutorials on their site, and you can try the software
for 8 hours before purchase. However, it is worth every penny.

dg

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
There are often questions in this NG about 3-D design software for various
purposes.

If anyone is interested, there is a fully functional version of TurboCAD

7.1
on the cover disk of the December (yes I know!) edition of PC Plus

magazine,
which is now available.

As far as I know, this is general purpose design software, and is not

aimed
at any particular area - such as house design or mechanical engineering -
although it can, of course be used for these things and many more.

Like all CAD software, it is likely to have a steep learning curve - but
with the winter evenings coming on, I thought some people might be
interested in having a go.

Roger