Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Default Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

Jon Elson wrote:

Speechless wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:38:44 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 01:43:06 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

Warning!! Dangerous design flaw in the 2006 Jeep Wranglers!!

--snip--

Not really. WWII vintage Jeeps were a man's vehicle, built to be
driven anywhere and everywhere. Today, Jeeps are yard ornaments,
built to look nice when parked in front of your house. Like your
lawn, today's Jeeps are not meant to be seen away from home.

Don't blame DaimlerChrysler. They are only building what wussy
consumers want to purchase. Anything more rugged that the company
tried to build, didn't sell, which is why they had to put the
"Diamler" part in front of "Chrysler".

Well, the real reason for this breakdown is that this may be the
first one they sold with a manual transmission. If they only sell a
couple a year, there's no need to do much testing on the parts.
Of course, after having two US-label vehicles in a row require
multi-thousand $ automatic transmission repairs, I'm not very
impressed with the supposed "reliability" of automatic transmissions,
either. On the Dodge Ram van, it was $3100, and they were able
to save the housing, I think. How the HELL much does a whole
transmission cost, anyway, for them to put $3100 into an overhaul?

I put 76,000 miles on a 1976 Chevy Vega. I burned up their ** 7" **
clutch plate at 18,000 mi, and put in a 14" clutch. Never had the
slightest problem with that system after the big clutch. (I decided
to NOT have this fixed under warranty, as it would KEEP on burning
up every 18,000 miles.)

Jon

14" clutch? How big was the flywheel? Must have had a peculiar looking
flywheel housing.

Tom