habbi

Default OT : Kerosene space heaters

I have a "Master" Kerosene space heater and the other day I filled it with
diesel thinking it would be a lot cheaper. It worked for a while and then
quite. The blowers still runs and it smells like a mist of diesel is being
made but it does not ignite. First of all can these heaters burn diesel or
strictly kerosene. (the smell is not an issue) Also what has gone wrong with
the ignition system, I assume it is similar to a burner in a furnace or
boiler. Thanks

---

Karl Townsend

Default Kerosene space heaters

FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time. Your breakdown was just
a coincidence. Mine just needs a cleaning when this happens.

Diesel has more heavy wax in it than kerosene, not as refined a grade. I use
kerosene as an improved #1 diesel for extreme cold weather starting in the
John Deere.

Karl

habbi

I just removed the eye and "spark plug" and both look clean. There must be a
loose wire or something because when i bang it it works and then if a bang
it again it stops, almost like the Fonze. Could it be anything other than a
loose wire?
"habbi" wrote in message
So is it likely the eye or the electrodes are covered in soot?
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
hlink.net...
FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time. Your breakdown was

just
a coincidence. Mine just needs a cleaning when this happens.

Diesel has more heavy wax in it than kerosene, not as refined a grade. I

use
kerosene as an improved #1 diesel for extreme cold weather starting in

the
John Deere.

Karl

---

---

Ms. Manners

"habbi" wrote in message
So is it likely the eye or the electrodes are covered in soot?
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
hlink.net...
FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time (snip)

I did not read the original post, but I just fixed my sputtering
Lawnboy by replacing the O-ring in the jet. Runs GREAT now!

habbi

I have come to the conclusion that it must be a bad coil. The coil has 2
wires coming out of it and the lead for the spark plug. If I hook the 2
wires up to the black and white wires of 3 prong plug and the the green of
the plug to the threaded portion of the spark plug and then the lead of the
coil to the plug should the plug continously fire when pluged into a 110
volt outlet.

"habbi" wrote in message
So is it likely the eye or the electrodes are covered in soot?
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
hlink.net...
FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time (snip)

I did not read the original post, but I just fixed my sputtering
Lawnboy by replacing the O-ring in the jet. Runs GREAT now!

---

JR North

It should run just fine on #2 diesel. Use it in mine
exclusively. Clean the plug and blow out the nozzle. Also
make sure the ignition TR works.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

habbi wrote:

I have a "Master" Kerosene space heater and the other day I filled it with
diesel thinking it would be a lot cheaper. It worked for a while and then
quite. The blowers still runs and it smells like a mist of diesel is being
made but it does not ignite. First of all can these heaters burn diesel or
strictly kerosene. (the smell is not an issue) Also what has gone wrong with
the ignition system, I assume it is similar to a burner in a furnace or
boiler. Thanks

---

Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Ken Sterling

I have a "Master" Kerosene space heater and the other day I filled it with
diesel thinking it would be a lot cheaper. It worked for a while and then
quite. The blowers still runs and it smells like a mist of diesel is being
made but it does not ignite. First of all can these heaters burn diesel or
strictly kerosene. (the smell is not an issue) Also what has gone wrong with
the ignition system, I assume it is similar to a burner in a furnace or
boiler. Thanks

---

Check the intake filter(screen) at the bottom of the tube, or actually
inside the pickup tube - it could be covered with crud - also check
the gap on the plug. It should fire and run fine.
Ken.

habbi

The transformer is dead. A new one is over $100.00 and the 20 year old
heater is only around 300 new. So could I hook up and old AC 110 to DC 12
volt transformer from an old video game or something and connect it to an
automotive ignition coil. Would the small plug in type transformer supply
enough current for the automotive coil to opperate. Or what about using an
old tranformer from a oil fired home heating boiler. I was told they have 2
leads of 5000 volts each and maybe I could just use 1 and get the needed
5000 volts? Thanks for any ideas.

"habbi" wrote in message

So is it likely the eye or the electrodes are covered in soot?
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...

FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time (snip)

I did not read the original post, but I just fixed my sputtering
Lawnboy by replacing the O-ring in the jet. Runs GREAT now!

---

---

Gary Coffman

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:26:58 GMT, "habbi" wrote:
The transformer is dead. A new one is over $100.00 and the 20 year old
heater is only around 300 new. So could I hook up and old AC 110 to DC 12
volt transformer from an old video game or something and connect it to an
automotive ignition coil. Would the small plug in type transformer supply
enough current for the automotive coil to opperate. Or what about using an
old tranformer from a oil fired home heating boiler. I was told they have 2
leads of 5000 volts each and maybe I could just use 1 and get the needed
5000 volts? Thanks for any ideas.

Feeding sinewave AC to an automotive coil will burn it out. It isn't designed
for that. The output voltage would be disappointingly low in any case. The
output voltage of the coil is proportional to di/dt, the rate of change of current,
and a sinewave has a *much* smaller rate of change than a make and break
switching waveform.

A home heating oil transformer, or neon sign transformer, would produce
the sort of voltage you need from mains AC.

Gary
Ken Sterling

"habbi" wrote in message

So is it likely the eye or the electrodes are covered in soot?
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. earthlink.net...

FWIW
I use diesel in my torpedo heater all the time (snip)

I did not read the original post, but I just fixed my sputtering
Lawnboy by replacing the O-ring in the jet. Runs GREAT now!

---

---

The old oil furnace transformer may work BUT I have a concern about
the spark eating away the tips on the sparkplug - typically the oil
furnace has a little more robust electrodes to handle the spark. Is
there an electric eye that shuts off the transformer after ignition?
If so, then you may be okay.
Ken.
Ken Sterling

[...]

Gary, he typed AC110 to DC12, but regardless, your point about the
spark being weak may be valid.
Ken.
habbi

Well I hooked up a 10,000 volt transformer from an oil fired boiler. I put a
big glob of silicone on one contact and ran my spark plug lead from the
other one. I grounded the transformer to the body of the heater and
everything is now working perfect.
s.com...

wrote:
[...]

Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters John Smith UK diy 31 July 11th 04 01:17 PM
storage heaters DavidD UK diy 1 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM