Ken Sterling

Default Kerosene space heaters

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:26:58 GMT, "habbi" wrote:
The transformer is dead. A new one is over $100.00 and the 20 year old
heater is only around 300 new. So could I hook up and old AC 110 to DC 12
volt transformer from an old video game or something and connect it to an
automotive ignition coil. Would the small plug in type transformer supply
enough current for the automotive coil to opperate. Or what about using an
old tranformer from a oil fired home heating boiler. I was told they have 2
leads of 5000 volts each and maybe I could just use 1 and get the needed
5000 volts? Thanks for any ideas.

Feeding sinewave AC to an automotive coil will burn it out. It isn't designed
for that. The output voltage would be disappointingly low in any case. The
output voltage of the coil is proportional to di/dt, the rate of change of current,
and a sinewave has a *much* smaller rate of change than a make and break
switching waveform.

A home heating oil transformer, or neon sign transformer, would produce
the sort of voltage you need from mains AC.

Gary

Gary, he typed AC110 to DC12, but regardless, your point about the
spark being weak may be valid.
Ken.