Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have
written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

I _had_ to do that flywheel, and I _knew_ it was too big for my -I call
it a- lathe.

Think!

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.
Bore a hole into the flywheel (boring head), turn an adapter that fits
into the hole and a mill holder (the ones for the bigger mills with a
bore inside), put the tool er ... work piece into the spindle. Next
step, clamp the vice on the mills table, clamp a propriate tool bit from
the lathe in it and ... TURN!

You have all you need: Feed in two axes, lots a power, very stable
setup.
You get: bad sight on the underside, a super finish and a _huge_ lathe
ideal for flywheels.

Man that was fun and a super result. Now I know I can turn flywheels
about 500mm diameter in my mill.

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

Earned me a beer now ...
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston

Nick Müller wrote:
Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have
written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

(...)

Excellent, Nick!

Now where did I put that 3 jaw chuck I welded to that R-8 arbor?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R Brooks

Nick Müller wrote:
[snip]
The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

I'll vote that "idea of the year" - so far, anyway :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Guy Fawkes

Nick Müller wrote:

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

NOOOOOOOOOO!

for gods sake do not just grab something semi-round and think it will
work as a flywheel, the day it bursts those who live through it will
regret your lack of engineering rigor.

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

There are scrapyards full of flywheels, made out of an appropriate
material.

You MUST KNOW THE YIELD STRESS of your flywheel material, that word is
KNOW, as in FOR A FACT, as in you have absolute knowledge of the
precise composition of the material it is made from.

Hand on heart, I would MUCH rather take my (minimal) chances standing
in front of a handgun bullet in preference to standing in front of a
bursting flywheel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Guy Fawkes wrote:

You MUST KNOW THE YIELD STRESS of your flywheel material, that word is
KNOW, as in FOR A FACT, as in you have absolute knowledge of the
precise composition of the material it is made from.

Somehow, you are right. But it suvived the 100 RPM on the lathe er ...
mill _with_ cutting forces. So it will not crack at 200 RPM on the
engine (that will be a _sloooow_ running 4 stroke).

BTW, it was a very nice machining CI.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.
Bore a hole into the flywheel (boring head), turn an adapter that fits
into the hole and a mill holder (the ones for the bigger mills with a
bore inside), put the tool er ... work piece into the spindle. Next
step, clamp the vice on the mills table, clamp a propriate tool bit from
the lathe in it and ... TURN!

A few years ago, before I got my CNC lathe, I had a small job to turn some
plastic parts. I didn't want to do it on my manual lathe, so I did something
similar with my CNC knee mill. It wasn't as rigid as a lathe, but since I
was just turning plastic, it did OK. The hard part was programming it. I had
a hard time getting it in my head which way to move the table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Guy Fawkes wrote:
Nick Müller wrote:

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

NOOOOOOOOOO!

for gods sake do not just grab something semi-round and think it will
work as a flywheel, the day it bursts those who live through it will
regret your lack of engineering rigor.

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

There are scrapyards full of flywheels, made out of an appropriate
material.

Where are these scrapyards? Any in the UK? I wish I could find a second
hand flywheel for my phase convertor experiments.

You MUST KNOW THE YIELD STRESS of your flywheel material, that word is
KNOW, as in FOR A FACT, as in you have absolute knowledge of the
precise composition of the material it is made from.

Hand on heart, I would MUCH rather take my (minimal) chances standing
in front of a handgun bullet in preference to standing in front of a
bursting flywheel.

Tough call here, but I think I'll go with Guy. An exploding flywheel
would be pretty unpleasant.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Christopher Tidy" wrote
Where are these scrapyards? Any in the UK? I wish I could find a second
hand flywheel for my phase convertor experiments.

Autos with stick shifts have flywheels. Got any auto junkyards in the UK?
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, Nick.
There used to be a machine shop near my plant. When they closed and
auctioned off most of the equipment, I saw a VERTICAL LATHE on the
floor. It was made in Germany, but I don't remember the name. As I
recall, the thing was about 15 ft. tall and perhaps 6 ft. across.

Looked just like a lathe, but on end. They used it sometimes to make
components for titanium casting molds.

Interesting to watch the heavy equipment movers get it out of the
building and onto the truck.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Guy Fawkes

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Guy Fawkes wrote:
Nick Müller wrote:

[...]

aye, I don't know that many people who have stopped a bullet, but most
of them survived, I know of a far smaller number that stopped bits of
revolving machinery past yield point, and none of them survived.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Dave Lyon wrote:

The hard part was programming it. I had a hard time getting it in my head
which way to move the table.

vbg I learned that too. Without CNC.
So it wasn't me who got this idea.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 4 Jan 2006 04:15:15 -0800, "Guy Fawkes"
wrote:

Nick Müller wrote:

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

NOOOOOOOOOO!

for gods sake do not just grab something semi-round and think it will
work as a flywheel, the day it bursts those who live through it will
regret your lack of engineering rigor.

I cannot stress this strongly enough.

There are scrapyards full of flywheels, made out of an appropriate
material.

You MUST KNOW THE YIELD STRESS of your flywheel material, that word is
KNOW, as in FOR A FACT, as in you have absolute knowledge of the
precise composition of the material it is made from.

Hand on heart, I would MUCH rather take my (minimal) chances standing
in front of a handgun bullet in preference to standing in front of a
bursting flywheel.

80% of those shot with a handgun survive

I suspect, based on prior experience, that there is a much smaller
survival rate among those standing next to an exploding hand
grenade..which is exactly that a bursting flywheel is.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

80% of those shot with a handgun survive

Hmm. So the lesson there is, if yer gonna shoot somebody,
use a rifle or a shotgun...?

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Guy Fawkes

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

80% of those shot with a handgun survive

Hmm. So the lesson there is, if yer gonna shoot somebody,
use a rifle or a shotgun...?

better still, hit them with a vehicle doing over 40 mph, even in gun
outlawed countries you can still claim it was accidental and walk out
of court.

though I seem to recall somewhere that the 12 bore / gauge "brenneke"
slugs on 3 inch hull had as much mussle energy as all 5/6 rounds from a
blackhawk in .44 mag ???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

I saw a VERTICAL LATHE on the
floor. It was made in Germany, but I don't remember the name. As I
recall, the thing was about 15 ft. tall and perhaps 6 ft. across.

Oh, so little? We call the karussel-lathe (merry-go-round-lathe). I have
seen bigger ones with 3..4m diameter.
Beside the mill where you walked on the table. And the operator took a
chair to the place where he worked _on_ _the_ _table_. BWM had that
monster.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Edwards

Nick Müller wrote:
The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

Ummmmm - aren't those cast iron? Cast iron is not bad in compression
but an absolute disaster in tension and, IIRC, tension runs pretty high
in a flywheel. I close my eyes and see pie shaped pieces of material
whizzing about and through people at supersonic speeds. :-(

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 4 Jan 2006 10:12:36 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

80% of those shot with a handgun survive

Hmm. So the lesson there is, if yer gonna shoot somebody,
use a rifle or a shotgun...?

Jim

Depends on if you are shooting to stop them, or shooting to kill them.

Stopping them is more important than killing them. However..yes, when
you shoot them with a rifle or shotgun, they tend to die much more
often. And you dont encounter them in court, no expensive
incarceration, appeals etc.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Nick Müller wrote:
Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have
written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

I _had_ to do that flywheel, and I _knew_ it was too big for my -I call
it a- lathe.

Think!

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.

Well, I did this a while ago. I needed to turn ball ends on some
adjusting screws. I didn't have a ball-turning attachement. I didn't
have CNC on the lathe, but I do have a CNC mill. I had already
made an internally-threaded ring for the threads on these, essentially
a collet for a bolt. So, I took the entire QC holder from the lathe
and clamped it in the milling vise. I put the bolt in the threaded
ring, and put that in a collet on the mill. I then wrote up a little
program to generate the toolpath, and compensate for the radius of a
round carbide insert. it made dandy little ball ends!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"John Husvar" wrote
Sounds like one make or other of a vertical turret lathe. Plant where I
used to work maintenance had one that would turn o.d. to 16 feet.
Big mutha!

I worked at Bucyrus-Erie for a winter in the 70's. I was a chip wheeler.You
wouldn't believe the size of the machines it takes to build a dragline that
scoops up 300 cubic yards in one bucket, or the size of the chips they
produce.
Tom

It was an interesting company and a good one to work for. They made
large ring bearings and gears, sometimes even producing them for USSR
agricultural and construction equipment for legal export.

The specs were rumored, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, to be the same as for
T-72 tank turret gears.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
"Tom Wait" wrote:

"John Husvar" wrote
Sounds like one make or other of a vertical turret lathe. Plant where I
used to work maintenance had one that would turn o.d. to 16 feet.
Big mutha!

I worked at Bucyrus-Erie for a winter in the 70's. I was a chip wheeler.You
wouldn't believe the size of the machines it takes to build a dragline that
scoops up 300 cubic yards in one bucket, or the size of the chips they
produce.

300 yard drag bucket, 8100 cubic feet? I've seen 30-yard buckets, even
IIRC one 50; never a 300 so far or didn't know it when I did. I'd like
to, though.

Gotcha!I grew up in strip mining country, Steubenville, OH and points
west towards Cadiz and Cambridge, south toward Nelsonville,
McConnelsville, etc. Beautiful park down that way that AEP donated to
the people of Ohio and still maintains.

So: Oh, yes, I would believe it!

Some of the chips were big enough for the plant's other shops to use for
stock?