Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

Hi!

You know they sell those books: "Milling in a lathe". Today, I have
written (kinda) "Turning in a mill":

I _had_ to do that flywheel, and I _knew_ it was too big for my -I call
it a- lathe.

Think!

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.
Bore a hole into the flywheel (boring head), turn an adapter that fits
into the hole and a mill holder (the ones for the bigger mills with a
bore inside), put the tool er ... work piece into the spindle. Next
step, clamp the vice on the mills table, clamp a propriate tool bit from
the lathe in it and ... TURN!

You have all you need: Feed in two axes, lots a power, very stable
setup.
You get: bad sight on the underside, a super finish and a _huge_ lathe
ideal for flywheels.

Man that was fun and a super result. Now I know I can turn flywheels
about 500mm diameter in my mill.

The other funny experience was, that what they sell as wheigh tlifting
disks are in reality the cheapest flywheels you can get.

Earned me a beer now ...
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models