Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

A mill is just a reverse lathe. Or so.
Bore a hole into the flywheel (boring head), turn an adapter that fits
into the hole and a mill holder (the ones for the bigger mills with a
bore inside), put the tool er ... work piece into the spindle. Next
step, clamp the vice on the mills table, clamp a propriate tool bit from
the lathe in it and ... TURN!

A few years ago, before I got my CNC lathe, I had a small job to turn some
plastic parts. I didn't want to do it on my manual lathe, so I did something
similar with my CNC knee mill. It wasn't as rigid as a lathe, but since I
was just turning plastic, it did OK. The hard part was programming it. I had
a hard time getting it in my head which way to move the table.