Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

In article ,
Randy Replogle wrote:

On 4 Jan 2006 09:33:02 -0800, wrote:

Hi, Nick.
There used to be a machine shop near my plant. When they closed and
auctioned off most of the equipment, I saw a VERTICAL LATHE on the
floor. It was made in Germany, but I don't remember the name. As I
recall, the thing was about 15 ft. tall and perhaps 6 ft. across.

Looked just like a lathe, but on end. They used it sometimes to make
components for titanium casting molds.

Interesting to watch the heavy equipment movers get it out of the
building and onto the truck.

Paul

Bullard?

Randy

Sounds like one make or other of a vertical turret lathe. Plant where I
used to work maintenance had one that would turn o.d. to 16 feet.
Big mutha!

It was an interesting company and a good one to work for. They made
large ring bearings and gears, sometimes even producing them for USSR
agricultural and construction equipment for legal export.

The specs were rumored, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, to be the same as for
T-72 tank turret gears.