Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Call me nuts: turning in a mill :-)

"John Husvar" wrote
Sounds like one make or other of a vertical turret lathe. Plant where I
used to work maintenance had one that would turn o.d. to 16 feet.
Big mutha!

I worked at Bucyrus-Erie for a winter in the 70's. I was a chip wheeler.You
wouldn't believe the size of the machines it takes to build a dragline that
scoops up 300 cubic yards in one bucket, or the size of the chips they
produce.
Tom

It was an interesting company and a good one to work for. They made
large ring bearings and gears, sometimes even producing them for USSR
agricultural and construction equipment for legal export.

The specs were rumored, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, to be the same as for
T-72 tank turret gears.